PDA

View Full Version : Coming Soon ,,, Ubuntu TV

jockyburns
January 9th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Just read on another site that Canonical have announced Ubuntu TV at the CES.
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/news/a359178/canonical-unveils-ubuntu-tv-at-ces-2012-video.html

I do hope it works better than the Youtube videos that take ages to load or remain completely blank. :D:D:D (strictly tongue in cheek)

whiskeylover
January 9th, 2012, 08:54 PM
I hope they include a non-purple theme as well. Other than that, looks good. Wonder how it compares against Google TV or Apple TV.

wolfen69
January 9th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Can't wait until it comes out. Looks really good.

Basher101
January 9th, 2012, 09:20 PM
Can't wait until it comes out. Looks really good.

this^
the interface on my new Samsung Smart TV may look pretty, but it is so darn slow to load anything...still great overall quality

ubiquitin.jf
January 9th, 2012, 09:27 PM
I hope it runs on the Raspberry Pi. ~£25 to breathe Ubuntu into an old TV would be sweet.

Paqman
January 9th, 2012, 09:32 PM
I hope it runs on the Raspberry Pi. ~£25 to breathe Ubuntu into an old TV would be sweet.

Minimum specs for Ubuntu TV are quoted as 1GB of RAM so no, it won't run on a Raspberry Pi. I suspect you're asking a bit much of the poor wee Pi if you want it to be a media centre.

MG&TL
January 9th, 2012, 09:41 PM
That looks SO cool. just sayin'. I hope they do a purchasable box-type thing.

duncan12
January 9th, 2012, 09:58 PM
I'd still wonder how it compares to MythTV as a TV interface.

Still, looks pretty good

goldshirt9
January 9th, 2012, 10:13 PM
another step forward for Canonical. they are really becoming a big cheese in the O/System market.

could it be a little too fast though .

sffvba[e0rt
January 9th, 2012, 10:30 PM
That looks SO cool. just sayin'. I hope they do a purchasable box-type thing.

From what I have read they are aiming to have the TV itself do all and be all... One device to rule them all (rather than just being another box to plug in and use).

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/tv-for-human-beings-ubuntu-linux/10109

BrokenKingpin
January 9th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Minimum specs for Ubuntu TV are quoted as 1GB of RAM
That is horrible. A TV should not need this much RAM to have this type of locked down interface and functionality.

As for the interface itself, it looks okay I suppose... way too much purple. I will just leave my media center TV plugged into my TV, which gives me a lot more flexibility (currently Ubuntu base + openbox + XBMC).

Paqman
January 9th, 2012, 11:39 PM
That is horrible. A TV should not need this much RAM to have this type of locked down interface and functionality.

1GB of RAM on board is pretty typical for Smart TVs coming onto the market, so it shouldn't be a problem.

forrestcupp
January 10th, 2012, 01:26 PM
I do hope it works better than the Youtube videos that take ages to load or remain completely blank. :D:D:D (strictly tongue in cheek)They're going to have to get Flash working a lot better, right? :lol:

From what I have read they are aiming to have the TV itself do all and be all... One device to rule them all (rather than just being another box to plug in and use).

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/tv-for-human-beings-ubuntu-linux/10109

404Then it's going to have to have a Blue Ray player, powerful surround sound system, cable and satellite receivers, and an Xbox 360 all built into it. ;)

BrokenKingpin
January 12th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Then it's going to have to have a Blue Ray player, powerful surround sound system, cable and satellite receivers, and an Xbox 360 all built into it. ;)
All joking aside, this might be where things are going. Personally, I want my TV to be just a display, and I can plug various components into it as I see fit. Having it all built into one makes it very difficult or impossible to upgrade individual components when they are out of date, and offers no flexibility in the software I run on it.

Right now I just have a low powered PC plugged into my TV running Xubuntu, which gives me limitless flexibility, and can do way more than any of that embedded crap on current TVs. In fact, it is probably cheaper to just buy a PC and plug it into the TV than to pay for a higher end TV with embedded apps.

KiwiNZ
January 12th, 2012, 07:15 PM
All joking aside, this might be where things are going. Personally, I want my TV to be just a display, and I can plug various components into it as I see fit. Having it all built into one makes it very difficult or impossible to upgrade individual components when they are out of date, and offers no flexibility in the software I run on it.

Right now I just have a low powered PC plugged into my TV running Xubuntu, which gives me limitless flexibility, and can do way more than any of that embedded crap on current TVs. In fact, it is probably cheaper to just buy a PC and plug it into the TV than to pay for a higher end TV with embedded apps.

The consumer does not want the hassle your dated solution provides. It is the consumer that provides / will provide the revenue stream. If you do not provide what they want you will pass into oblivion.

mjitkop
January 12th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Based on the demo video that I saw, this is my dream TV! Combining the functionality of both MythTV and XBMC in one simple-to-use interface is brilliant.

For the average Joe, this is a very simple way to have an "all-in-one" TV. That allows you to use 1 single remote to control your DVR, streaming from your home server and streaming from the web. 1 device, 1 remote.

The downside as has already been mentioned is you are lacking the flexibility to upgrade your system as you wish. However, it will still be possible to run the Ubuntu TV software on an HTPC connected to your TV. In this case, your TV will still be used as a monitor only.

I have to admit that the Unity interface on the Ubuntu desktop was just "ok" to me but it is looking really good with Ubuntu TV.

I want one now! :biggrin:

BrokenKingpin
January 12th, 2012, 08:20 PM
The consumer does not want the hassle your dated solution provides.
I fail to see how it is an outdated solution, more and more people are going this route. Things like the Boxee box fall into this category, and my point still stands, you can upgrade or replace your boxee box without replacing the whole damn TV. These smaller stand alone HTPC type devices are becoming more popular... so again, how is this solution out dated? Even my mom can plug a laptop into her TV and watch netflix, and she barely knows how to check her email.

And at least for the more tech savy type people the all-in-one TVs are probably more of a hassle because you try and do things the integrated software/hardware just can't do, where as plugging in a boxee box you are good to go.

Sure, there probably will be a huge demand for these all-in-one TVs, but a few years down the road when there are no firmware updates to their TV for the new apps, or their hardware just can't handle the new apps, they will be screwed and look to go buy an HTPC anyways.

Just because something gets very popular, does not mean it is the right solution. As far as Ubuntu TV, I could see it being a pretty good interface for one of those HTPC boxes.

tjeremiah
January 12th, 2012, 08:20 PM
I like it. I wont complain about all the purple because im sure they will allow you to customize to your liking.

Needs Netflix support though.

whiskeylover
January 12th, 2012, 08:36 PM
I fail to see how it is an outdated solution, more and more people are going this route.

Geek and nerds maybe. Average Joe needs something that just works out of the box.

Things like the Boxee box fall into this category, and my point still stands, you can upgrade or replace your boxee box without replacing the whole damn TV.
People don't care about that. That's the reason why tablet PCs are getting so popular.

Sure, there probably will be a huge demand for these all-in-one TVs, but a few years down the road when there are no firmware updates to their TV for the new apps, or their hardware just can't handle the new apps, they will be screwed and look to go buy an HTPC anyways.
Or they'll buy a newer version. Just look at Apple fans.

Just because something gets very popular, does not mean it is the right solution.
It may not be the right solution, but it sure is a great idea if it makes you a boatload of money.

KiwiNZ
January 12th, 2012, 09:11 PM
I fail to see how it is an outdated solution, more and more people are going this route. Things like the Boxee box fall into this category, and my point still stands, you can upgrade or replace your boxee box without replacing the whole damn TV. These smaller stand alone HTPC type devices are becoming more popular... so again, how is this solution out dated? Even my mom can plug a laptop into her TV and watch netflix, and she barely knows how to check her email.

And at least for the more tech savy type people the all-in-one TVs are probably more of a hassle because you try and do things the integrated software/hardware just can't do, where as plugging in a boxee box you are good to go.

Just because something gets very popular, does not mean it is the right solution. As far as Ubuntu TV, I could see it being a pretty good interface for one of those HTPC boxes.

I am some what Tech savvy, however when it comes to TV I do not wish to faff about with connecting this , connecting that, configuring a myriad of devices and software. I want to grab the remote and watch. I even find it a pain to have to connect my Apple TV.

Now I am not in the slightest interested in Skype, youtube, facebook blah blah on my TV but I have many friends that do and they want it on one device out of the box. The Smart TV's deliver that with spades.