PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Tweaking icon locations on Gnome 3 panels.

Trapper
January 9th, 2012, 02:54 PM
U11.10 and Gnome 3

Okay, is there some special maneuver for moving icons around on the panel? In Gnome 2 you could simply move your icon to wherever and just lock it in place. In Gnome 3 whenever I move something it pulls a student body right/left/center maneuver and doesn't allow me to place it where "I" want it. Movement seems to be full right, full left or center but nowhere in between.

prusswan
February 9th, 2012, 02:19 PM
seems to annoyingly intended, interesting how there are no replies

prusswan
February 10th, 2012, 07:20 AM
is there some kind of plugin or config settings to override the default behavior?

Frogs Hair
February 10th, 2012, 04:00 PM
There is no way to move the icons in Unity . If you are using the Gnome fall-back session you can take a look at the link .http://www.webupd8.org/2011/11/indicator-applet-ported-to-gnome-3-can.html

The fall-back session was supposed to be temporary and eventually removed ,so it doesn't have many features . I have read that Alt+Right Click allows some panel function in the fall-back session .

bradleypariah
June 26th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Sorry to bump a slightly old thread, but the question was never answered, so I see no point in kicking up the topic again elsewhere and cluttering up the forum.

There were answers provided about Unity and Gnome fallback, but the OP was asking about repositioning icons in the Gnome 3 panel.

It surprises me that there are 15 pages of extensions at https://extensions.gnome.org/ and I can't seem to find a single entry about freedom to reorganize the panel. Have I missed it?
No joke, a Google search pops up nothing, save this thread that's missing an answer.

I realize restriction is one of the big complaints people have about Gnome3, but I'm actually starting to get acclimated to it. I just want to move a couple things around.

Can anybody help? I've looked in /home and /etc and opened every file within any folder with the word "gnome" in it. None of those files seem to configure the layout of the panel. Where should I look? This can't be impossible. I'm just too much of a noob to figure it out on my own. :confused:

Frogs Hair
June 26th, 2012, 08:49 PM
All the Ubuntu desktops on 12.04 run on top of Gnome 3.4. So the identification of the specific desktop environment is needed to find an answer. The Gnome Shell like unity is some what locked down other than what is possible with extensions. There are extensions that allow the user to hide or move some items , but not all items . Many extensions were developed by users with a particular need.

Bobhuber
June 27th, 2012, 02:07 AM
Sorry to bump a slightly old thread, but the question was never answered, so I see no point in kicking up the topic again elsewhere and cluttering up the forum.

There were answers provided about Unity and Gnome fallback, but the OP was asking about repositioning icons in the Gnome 3 panel.

It surprises me that there are 15 pages of extensions at https://extensions.gnome.org/ and I can't seem to find a single entry about freedom to reorganize the panel. Have I missed it?
No joke, a Google search pops up nothing, save this thread that's missing an answer.

I realize restriction is one of the big complaints people have about Gnome3, but I'm actually starting to get acclimated to it. I just want to move a couple things around.

Can anybody help? I've looked in /home and /etc and opened every file within any folder with the word "gnome" in it. None of those files seem to configure the layout of the panel. Where should I look? This can't be impossible. I'm just too much of a noob to figure it out on my own. :confused:

/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/panel.js

lolpenguin
June 27th, 2012, 02:44 AM
It is possible in GNOME Shell, but to have a button specifically where you want it requires annoying tweaking regarding Clutter, the panel's children, and the three *Box'es.

bradleypariah
June 27th, 2012, 05:00 AM
/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/panel.js
I'll give it a look. Thanks!

It is possible in GNOME Shell, but to have a button specifically where you want it requires annoying tweaking regarding Clutter, the panel's children, and the three *Box'es.

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/write.ign.com/64763/2012/04/what-is-this-i-dont-even-spiderman.jpg

szrobert
January 8th, 2013, 12:45 AM
L Windows + L ALT + R Click on the icon, then choose move from menu ... work on ubuntu 12.10 !