PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Update goes on forever (11.10)

maja_z
January 9th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Hi! I'm having trouble updating:

1. using sudo apt-get update it simply gets stuck on something like

Get:67 http://archive.ubuntu.com oneiric/multiverse Sources [149 kB]
Get:68 http://archive.ubuntu.com oneiric/multiverse Sources [149 kB]
Get:69 http://archive.ubuntu.com oneiric/multiverse Sources [149 kB]

and goes on like this seemingly forever (I've gotten up to "Get: 190" this way, after a couple of hours). I'm attaching the whole log if it is of help!

2. using the update manager, it stays in "Updating Cache" window forever as well. The download indicator thingy just keeps sliding left and right... It doesn't even ever stop to say "Failed" or "Connection dropped" or whatever!?

I'm not really sure where to start?
Thanks!

searchfgold6789
January 9th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Please attach your '/etc/apt/sources.list' file.

maja_z
January 9th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Here's my file. Thanks!

maja_z
January 15th, 2012, 01:30 PM
(bump)

I'm still unable to update my machine. Update manager now says I have 33 updates waiting to be installed, and yet when I click Install updates it stays forever on "downloading language-pack-en" and nothing ever happens!

spacecheck
January 15th, 2012, 01:48 PM
I would suggest you try closing all package managers and then edit your sources.list to have a hash mark # in front of these lines:

deb http://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/misc/cran/bin/linux/ubuntu oneiric/
deb http://qgis.org/debian oneiric main
deb-src http://qgis.org/debian oneiric main

(You may also want to comment out the lines for backports, unless you are having a problem with something specific, which requires a specific backport)

Then, save the file and try again with:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

If it resolves the problem, be sure to use the thread tools to mark the thread as Solved.
If it doesn't work, report back for further suggestions.

Good luck!

maja_z
January 17th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Thanks spacecheck!

I commented out the sources you suggest and reran update and upgrade. This time at least update 'finished', but upgrade ended up running through the night and only stopped because the connection was lost at some point.

I'm attaching the logs (which was originally a 490 Kb file and therefore too big to attach :). So I've removed most of the repeating lines and split it into the update and upgrade logs respectively.

Thanks!

maja_z
January 23rd, 2012, 12:25 PM
Can anyone help me please? Is it possible that apt-get is somehow broken, I don't know?
I can't seem to install any packages, it just takes forever and no errors are given?!
Update manager now says I already have 53 packages that need to be upgraded. But also I need to install libgdal1-dev and the same thing happens when I run: sudo apt-get install libgdal1-dev.
Any pointers will be greatly appreciated!

edit: well apt-get isn't not broken, I just did this as a mini test and it worked fine:

X@Y:~$ sudo apt-get install nautilus-open-terminal
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed
nautilus-open-terminal
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 54 not upgraded.
Need to get 63.1 kB of archives.
After this operation, 918 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric/universe nautilus-open-terminal amd64 0.19-1build1 [63.1 kB]
Fetched 63.1 kB in 2s (31.2 kB/s)
Selecting previously deselected package nautilus-open-terminal.
(Reading database ... 182810 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking nautilus-open-terminal (from .../nautilus-open-terminal_0.19-1build1_amd64.deb) ...
Processing triggers for gconf2 ...
Setting up nautilus-open-terminal (0.19-1build1) ...
X@Y:~$

cortman
January 23rd, 2012, 06:25 PM
Looks to me like you should change mirrors- you can do that in Synaptic. Open up Synaptic and select Settings>Repositories, and change the "Download from" to a different server. See attached image.

maja_z
January 26th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Thanks cortman! I tried changing mirrors but it hasn't changed anything. I also swithched to a lan cable in case it was the wireless causing problems in any way.
My internet conenction is fine for everything else, is it possible that it is still the cause? Namely I am doing this at work - the only place I have access - so perhaps the network setup (beyond my control) could be at fault?
Also it doens't matter if I use apt-get, the Update manager or Synaptic.
Although on some occasions there seems to be some downloading going on, overall the upgrade never finishes properly..
E.g. choosing the mirror I clicked "select best server", which started doing its thing and then half way through just stopped. Like forever. When I clicked cancel it says " check your internet connection". And yet when I tried the (exact) same thing again, it worked fine and selected a reasonable one close by.
Like I said, my internet is fine otherwise, why does it seem to be acting up (in such an error-less way) when I try to upgrade!?

cortman
January 26th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Thanks cortman! I tried changing mirrors but it hasn't changed anything. I also swithched to a lan cable in case it was the wireless causing problems in any way.
My internet conenction is fine for everything else, is it possible that it is still the cause? Namely I am doing this at work - the only place I have access - so perhaps the network setup (beyond my control) could be at fault?
Also it doens't matter if I use apt-get, the Update manager or Synaptic.
Although on some occasions there seems to be some downloading going on, overall the upgrade never finishes properly..
E.g. choosing the mirror I clicked "select best server", which started doing its thing and then half way through just stopped. Like forever. When I clicked cancel it says " check your internet connection". And yet when I tried the (exact) same thing again, it worked fine and selected a reasonable one close by.
Like I said, my internet is fine otherwise, why does it seem to be acting up (in such an error-less way) when I try to upgrade!?

It could very well be your work network setup. Do you use a proxy? Although if everything else in Ubuntu connects fine that probably wouldn't be the case... Firewall?

As a last resort (it may not be related at all, but give it a try) open a terminal and enter the following-

sudo rm -r /var/lib/apt/lists/*
sudo apt-get update

and see if it works. Otherwise I'm afraid I'm at the end of my very limited knowledge.
Good luck!

maja_z
January 29th, 2012, 12:42 PM
OK, I'll mark this as solved, although I'm still not sure what is going on, but I did manage to update.

I left Synaptic running for about 3 hours - 3 hours of it doing absolutely nothing! When it says it is downloading files, but only shows one file "queued", nothing happening at all, no network traffic showing up or anything. Then all of a sudden, out of the corner on my eye, I see the progress bar suddenly start filling up. Man, I almost had a heart attack!

This was all on cable, at work. With no other network thing running. So I don't know what was semi blocking it and why it then let it through, probably something to do with the network anyway and since I have no admin rights this thread is unlikely to lead to anything more helpful for anyone else.

Thanks again to everyone who helped!