PDA

View Full Version : gcc file operation

sree88
January 9th, 2012, 11:32 AM
hi all
i have to code to which has file operations.

i have got 2 issues

1. i want to get the file name from the user> append the file extension> and mention that file name in the fopen() command.

2. the file that i want to open is in a folder from where the C program is run.

ie if i have a file named 123.txt in a folder "jkl"
i ll get the name 123 from the user append .txt to the name and mention that name in
the fopen command.
i used the strcat() function to append, if the variable that holds the name is "fn", how can i mention it in the fopen command?

can u help me doin this??

MartijnNL
January 9th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Perhaps someone here can help you, but wouldn't it be easier asking this on some C programming forum? Or post it the Programming Talk (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=39) forum instead.

Absolute Beginner Talk (and General Help) aren't really intended for programming questions.

nothingspecial
January 9th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Moved to Programming talk.

Zugzwang
January 9th, 2012, 01:01 PM
i used the strcat() function to append, if the variable that holds the name is "fn", how can i mention it in the fopen command?

Ok, so which type is "fn" of? I preesume that since it holds a string that was obtained using "strcat" that it is "char*". Now have a look at the documentation for the standard library what the parameters for "fopen" are (see, e.g., http://linux.die.net/man/3/fopen) - for the first variant of the function, the parameter "path" is of type "const char*", which speaks for compatibility. So try to fill in "fn" as your first parameter to the "fopen" function.

sree88
January 10th, 2012, 05:04 AM
thanks all... now it is cleared..

Tony Flury
January 10th, 2012, 01:25 PM
I am glad you got this solved, though to me this sounded very much like a homework or college assignment - in future you wont normally get help with such assignment.

To be honest your question was very basic (using a variable vs a string constant), and if your tutor/professor has not covered that in your classes then you maybe need a better tutor, or a better textbook.

If in future you provide code which you have attempted to write, but which does not work in some specific way, then someone may well be willing to help you, when you post the code and a specific question.