PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Easy (or hard) way to change the greeter?

countryranger
January 9th, 2012, 09:45 AM
I checked and don't see this listed so I am asking. I am still a little new, but don't have any problems changing settings.

What I would like to do is change the Lubuntu greeter so that:
1) I don't have to type my user name if I don't want to (not auto login see #2)

2) I can allow a "guest" account to be added/activated, so my extended family can browse the web or whatever while they visit

and 3) change the font color to white (I was able to change the background image, but the new one is dark and makes reading "password" hard)

Thanks for any help...:)

countryranger
January 21st, 2012, 11:21 PM
Bump:KS

MG&TL
January 21st, 2012, 11:28 PM
I don't think you can do that with lxdm...but nothing to stop you installing any of the other display managers that have that functionality. GDM and lightdm are what I reccommend.

countryranger
January 21st, 2012, 11:35 PM
Cool thanks. Just wanted to get another opinion. Gonna leave this open just in case anyone finds a way to do it in the future.

MG&TL
January 22nd, 2012, 09:35 AM
On the other hand, I did write an lxdm how-to recently, you can see it here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1898864).

Yup, I'd be intrigued to know too. :D Btw, in 12.04 lxdm is being replaced by lightdm anyway, so you might be okay. :)

Guilden_NL
January 22nd, 2012, 09:23 PM
Another good place for in-depth customization tips for LXDE is here: http://forum.lxde.org

Guilden_NL
January 22nd, 2012, 09:30 PM

countryranger
January 26th, 2012, 10:16 PM
Cool that they are going with a new Greeter in 12.04 but won't that slow down boot time? I have an older frankensteined computer and I wonder if it would slow it down much. I have been to LXDE.org forums a couple of times, but hadn't joined yet. Maybe I should :)

Thanks for the support, since they will be changing the DM next go round I think I'm gonna marked this solved.

MG&TL
January 26th, 2012, 10:17 PM
Cool that they are going with a new Greeter in 12.04 but won't that slow down boot time? I have an older frankensteined computer and I wonder if it would slow it down much. I have been to LXDE.org forums a couple of times, but hadn't joined yet. Maybe I should :)

Thanks for the support, since they will be changing the DM next go round I think I'm gonna marked this solved.

Well...it is *light*dm, and I have it curently, and I haven't noticed a difference. Although it is broken in Precise at the moment. :(