PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a WebOS device?

Henkdroid
January 9th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Hi all, I was just wondering if anyone here has a Pre -/+, a Pre 2/3, a Pixi -/+, a Veer or a Touchpad. If you do then what do you think about WebOS in general and the hardware you have.

I have a Pre 2 and I love it to bits, the hardware is solid and the UI is clean and user friendly. I also like how you can easily install patches with preware.

elliotbeken
January 9th, 2012, 10:08 AM
Good phone if you are looking to develop apps etc. I have a few mates who have them and there are not really any apps on their so called app store.

In my opinion i would get a andriod device over the palm pre.

yazmonium
January 10th, 2013, 06:21 AM
I have a palm pre plus and its ok, but I'm not going to buy an android phone. Both Ubuntu and Mozilla phones are planned to be available for sale at the end of 2013.

The app store does not have as many titles as android does, but there is a community maintained repository with some fun linux programs. I set up an ssh and sftp server so that I can connect to it wirelessly from any other computer. And I can open a terminal to my home network from anywhere. There is also a homebrew application that allows you to overclock the phone, but it gets hot to the touch when it is doing a lot of computing.

The magnetic charger is just fantastic and ought to be standard on every phone. It's the main reason I haven't bought a new one.

The slider keyboard was really great when it was new. I've been using it for about 3 years and some of the letters aren't recognized when pushed. Especially the QWAS in the upper left hand corner.

The screen is too small to read comfortably.

You don't need any special software, like itunes, to put music and video on it. Just upload files to the proper folder.

The GPS function is pretty good at letting you know where you are, but HP changed the default map program from google to bing and it gives me wrong directions sometimes.

Overall, I would say skip it unless you want a small, easily rooted phone that you will use for calls, text and playing mp3's.

Cheers!

click4851
January 10th, 2013, 10:11 AM
I have a touchpad, i got it really cheap and I like it, but I would have never paid what hp was originally asking.....

ojdon
January 10th, 2013, 10:55 AM
I have a Touchpad running LunaCE and a Galaxy Nexus which can run Open WebOS. I love the User Experience but the lack of third-part developer support kills it. =\

jetfan1950
May 13th, 2013, 09:22 AM
I have one working Touchpad and picked up a second on ebay for parts. I am in the process of trying to figure out how to save an image of the working Touchpad and write it to the Touchpad that is having file system/partition issues. I've tried webosdoctor and tpdebrick v004 fixes but it still fails at 12%. I can get into the Touchpad as root from Windows using Novaterm but I haven't been able to figure out how to access my PC's hardrive in that situation. If I boot up in Ubuntu, I have not yet been able to discover the Touchpad via the USB. I am going to try this solution, once I figure things out (that's why I just joined this forum - any helpful hints will be greatly appreciated):

Quote:

You actually need to backup p4, p8, p12, p13, and p14 (/dev/sdc4, /dev/sdc8, /dev/sdc12, /dev/sdc13, /dev/sdc14 to be able to do a restore including tokens, bootie and lvm partition information.
if doing from linux you can back up the entire disk in one shot for restoral later.

dd if=/dev/sdc of=/host/temp/dev_bu.bin bs=64M
(make sure you are using a device or mounted filesystem for the of with enough room to save the entire contents (16G, 32G, or 64G)

for restore the command would be similar to

dd if=/host/temp/dev_bu.bin of=/dev/sdc bs=512

Unquote

markbl
May 13th, 2013, 01:19 PM
I have a Touchpad but think WebOS is/was utter rubbish, unbearably slow, and completely lacking in software choice. Luckily, Android CM9 can be installed fairly easy and is superb.

IWantFroyo
May 13th, 2013, 03:47 PM
I have both an HP Veer and an HP Touchpad.

I bought the Touchpad about a week before WebOS was shut down, and I couldn't find my receipt again, so I got stuck with it.

Eventually I came to enjoy the system, though, and bought the Veer for $100 US off Amazon.

I have Preware on the Veer and MIUI on the Touchpad (although I don't use it - I prefer WebOS).

yellowkang
June 4th, 2013, 04:38 AM
I have an HP Touchpad and working very cool.
Enjoy the system to get d3 gold market
And i also like WebOS
Personal site www.selldiablo3.com
Welcome to visit it, thanks