PDA

View Full Version : I never thought I'd do this...

Stormy Eyes
June 6th, 2006, 06:49 PM
I never thought I'd do this, but I just ordered a MacBook. I'll still be using Ubuntu on the desktop machine I'm sharing with my wife, but I know a few MacBook users who are well pleased with their machines and have decided to buy one myself since I wanted a laptop anyway.

Flames to /dev/null, please, or I'll have to grab my sledgehammer. :)

xtacocorex
June 6th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Let me know how you like it. Are you going to keep OS X on there or put Linux on it?

I need a new laptop and I'm trying to find one that will be cool looking and be totally functional with Linux.

helpme
June 6th, 2006, 06:58 PM
If we are not allowed to flame you, can we at least ridicule you, Applefanboy? :twisted:

Just joking and I'd also be interested in hearing about your experiences.

John.Michael.Kane
June 6th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Deleted

Stormy Eyes
June 6th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Let me know how you like it. Are you going to keep OS X on there or put Linux on it?

I'll probably keep OS X on it until the next time I get drunk. Then I might set up a dual boot. After all, I've still got a machine that runs Linux, and I can set up X11 forwarding so that I'm not disturbing milady.

Kernel Sanders
June 6th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Are those the one's that overheat? :-k

I've also heard that the MacBooks have a very cheap and plastic feel? :-k

I would be interested to hear your experience with it tbh, if only to see if i've been reading FUD or not :)

Stormy Eyes
June 6th, 2006, 07:46 PM
I would be interested to hear your experience with it tbh, if only to see if i've been reading FUD or not :)

I haven't seen any mention of overheating or of a "cheap, plastic" feel on either ArsTechnica or MacWorld, and the guys at work who have MacBooks never mentioned anything of the sort. It's probably FUD.

Super King
June 6th, 2006, 07:53 PM
I'm surprised no one asked this yet:

Did you get a black one or a white one? ;)

angkor
June 6th, 2006, 07:56 PM
I'm surprised no one asked this yet:

Did you get a black one or a white one? ;)

Please tell us you got a black one...:) It suits you better...;)

azazel-
June 6th, 2006, 08:06 PM
I never thought I'd do this, but I just ordered a MacBook. I'll still be using Ubuntu on the desktop machine I'm sharing with my wife, but I know a few MacBook users who are well pleased with their machines and have decided to buy one myself since I wanted a laptop anyway.

Good, I plan on picking one up after the first revision rolls around myself...hopefully by that time they are using the Core Duo 2.

Enjoy your purchase, OS X is well worth the price of admission.

Stormy Eyes
June 6th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Please tell us you got a black one...:) It suits you better...;)

I bought the $1099 model; I'm not paying $400 more just to have a black MacBook. :twisted:

PapaWiskas
June 6th, 2006, 08:12 PM
The biggest question which has not been asked yet, all color issues aside...is what does the cat think about all of this? They can be very finicky you know, more so than milady could be. I am sure you know this Stormy...

Stormy Eyes
June 6th, 2006, 08:14 PM
The biggest question which has not been asked yet, all color issues aside...is what does the cat think about all of this? They can be very finicky you know, more so than milady could be. I am sure you know this Stormy...

My cat approves.

angkor
June 6th, 2006, 08:50 PM
I bought the $1099 model; I'm not paying $400 more just to have a black MacBook. :twisted:

Ah ke. that suits you too. ;)

Maybe you could paint it yourself.

Stormy Eyes
June 6th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Ah ke. that suits you too. ;)

Maybe you could paint it yourself.

Maybe I'll try that after the warranty runs out. :)

fuscia
June 6th, 2006, 09:11 PM
some anti-christ you turned out to be.

Stormy Eyes
June 6th, 2006, 09:14 PM
some anti-christ you turned out to be.

I got out of the antichrist racket centuries ago.

matthew
June 6th, 2006, 09:57 PM
I bought the $1099 model; I'm not paying $400 more just to have a black MacBook. :twisted:A quality can of spray paint will fix that for you.

EDIT: note to self...read the whole thread before posting in case someone else has already mentioned what you are thinking. :)

RAV TUX
June 6th, 2006, 10:00 PM

my only question is when you eventually load Linux on it which Distro are you going to go with?

Yellow Dog Linux?

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/products/ydl/

or Ubuntu?

Stormy Eyes
June 6th, 2006, 10:55 PM
my only question is when you eventually load Linux on it which Distro are you going to go with?

Yellow Dog Linux?

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/products/ydl/

or Ubuntu?

The MacBook uses Intel hardware, so I'll use Ubuntu if I decide to set up a dual boot between OS X and Linux. However, I don't think it's likely that I'll bother, since OS X is Unix-based, includes a terminal emulator, and can be made to run Linux/Unix apps.

rado_london
June 6th, 2006, 11:37 PM
I would ask you for favour. After you get it can you make some sort of guide about what you liked and what not including pics so I can see the real one no useless reviews. I want to buy one but £900 is much for 17 years old boy.

LMP900
June 7th, 2006, 12:02 AM
You made a fine choice with the MacBook.

This will be my next computer, but I'm going to wait until OS X Leopard and iLife'07. Until then, Dell w/ Dapper for me!

rado_london
June 7th, 2006, 12:45 AM
Do you think it is good idea changing HP with apple. And for the maccbook price I get so much more with HP. WHat is the whole idea apart from good look?

Iandefor
June 7th, 2006, 12:58 AM
Let us know how it goes. I, for one, am considering getting a MacBook.

Stormy Eyes
June 7th, 2006, 01:23 AM
Do you think it is good idea changing HP with apple. And for the maccbook price I get so much more with HP. WHat is the whole idea apart from good look?

If you have a HP and it's working for you, stick with it. After all, you yourself said that a MacBook is a big purchase for you. I don't think HP has anything of use to me; I'm not interested in using Windows or in a laptop with a battery life of less than 3 hours. I have my reasons for buying Apple. It may amuse me to provide a guide to the MacBook as you suggested.

qBaz
June 7th, 2006, 04:07 AM
If you have a HP and it's working for you, stick with it.

Good advice no matter what someone's using currently, methinks.

That said, OSX has suited this long-time linux user wonderfully. I'll be curious to hear what you think.

RAV TUX
June 7th, 2006, 05:30 AM
I have my reasons for buying Apple.

If is not to much to ask could you list your reasons for buying Apple, just curious?

I am in the middle of trying to figure the best laptop for my wife and the best OS.

I think Apple is the best but she stated she has used them at her University and even the TA's had difficulty running some programs.

She is a Chemistry major and I am not sure how compatible Apple is in the Sciences?

(also she loves LAUNCHcast Plus)

LAUNCHcast requires the following in order to properly stream media content:

PC

* Windows 95, 98, ME, NT 4.0, 2000 Professional, XP Home, or Professional
* Pentium II, 233MHz or faster
* at least 64MB RAM
* Internet Explorer 5.0 and up
* Windows Media Player 6.4 or higher
* Macromedia Flash 6.0 or higher
* 56k or broadband Internet connection

Macintosh

* Mac OS 8.5 to 9.2.2
* 200MHz PowerPC (iMac OK)
* at least 64MB RAM
* Netscape Navigator 4.5 to 4.7
* Windows Media Player 7.01 or higher
* Macromedia Flash 6.0 or higher
* 56k or broadband Internet connection

Please Note: LAUNCHcast is not currently compatible with Netscape Navigator for the PC or the Mac OS X operating system.

cromestant
June 7th, 2006, 07:06 AM
Well I stumbled onto this thread and felt like I had to state my opinion.
I was considering buying a laptop, looked at all the once i could configure online . At the end it was dell inspiron or macbook. Similar price with simliar configs...
so, since I had not sold my current dell laptop I didn't buy anything... thank god since my stepfather and mother returned from the us today and they bought me a black macbook and a 500gb la clie usb/firewire drive as an advance birthday present. ( yeah they are spoiling me.. mind you i 'd saved up to buy it myself as I did with my current laptop) this came as a total surprise ( good one!):D

So my comments on the macbook:
REALLY FAST.
beautifull
small ( compared to my inspiron 5150)
light ( same comparison)

The screen is not as reflective as it has been said IMHO.

FAAAST ( oh I already said this...)

Now as for myself I'll be tripple booting ( since I need windows for some gaming and part of my work requires IE to fill out Quickbook time sheets.).
There are two how toos on ubuntu forums explaining how to tripple boot and double boot. so I guess i 'll follow them.

My advice is that if you are considering a macbook and can afford it, then go to a local apple store and check it out. I really fell in love with it more when I got my hands on it.

You can find similarly configured laptops for less that give you a little less hassle because of the whole EFI /BIOS thing, but the style of the macbook is unique... really .

THe keyboard is really confortable, although it's not immediatly confortable ( you kindof have to get used to it, maybe 15 min on it).
Wifi has EXCEPTIONAL range, especially compared with the airport on my g4 mac mini... this is due to the two antenae placed perpendicularly on the screen. And the good news is that it's an atheros, so there is no problem configuring it on linux.

I have a question about linux and network storage but i'll post it in another thread .

Hope this helps.

Again : this is not the BEST LAPTOP IN THE WORLD, but it certainly is the BEST LAPTOP IN MY WORLD. ( consider my ugly dell weighed 8.4 pounds.. and was this crummy blue..)

Stormy Eyes
June 7th, 2006, 01:45 PM
My advice is that if you are considering a macbook and can afford it, then go to a local apple store and check it out. I really fell in love with it more when I got my hands on it.

Too late; they already shipped mine. I expect to have my MacBook by the 14th. :)

Stormy Eyes
June 7th, 2006, 01:54 PM
If is not to much to ask could you list your reasons for buying Apple, just curious?

I wanted a laptop whose battery life was at least 3 hours. The macbook, according to reviews on ArsTechnica and MacWorld, can run for at least 4 hours with wireless disabled and the screen brightness turned down.
I wanted a Unix-based OS.
I wanted a machine that I can just use. I hope that OS X won't tempt me to tinker as much as Linux does.
I was intrigued by the Pages part of Apple's iWork suite, particularly its ability to annotate one's work. I think this could be useful to me when writing.
I've heard from acquaintances that use the MacBook that its sleep and hibernate functions work better than Dell's, HP's, etc.
I got a $1000 tax refund, and I don't think my wife would approve of me spending it on hookers 'n blow. :twisted:

YourSurrogateGod
June 7th, 2006, 02:05 PM

Lets hope that you don't turn into a stereotypical Mac user, otherwise I'll have to grab my 99.

YourSurrogateGod
June 7th, 2006, 02:07 PM
I've heard from acquaintances that use the MacBook that its sleep and hibernate functions work better than Dell's, HP's, etc.
Ya, I've yet to hear any good news when it comes to this part. Most distros that I've heard of suck at sleep, hibernate, whatever.

Stormy Eyes
June 7th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Lets hope that you don't turn into a stereotypical Mac user, otherwise I'll have to grab my 99.

I don't think I'm going to become a Mac weenie. Remember that I'll still have a Linux box at home.

Sushi
June 7th, 2006, 03:04 PM
MacBooks are fine computers and I fail to see why anyone should "flame" you. Because it ships with OS X by default? Shouldn't we then flame anyone who buys a laptop since they ship with Wndows? At least with MacBook, not a dime of the money goes to MS :)-

cromestant
June 7th, 2006, 07:08 PM
I wanted a laptop whose battery life was at least 3 hours. The macbook, according to reviews on ArsTechnica and MacWorld, can run for at least 4 hours with wireless disabled and the screen brightness turned down.
I wanted a Unix-based OS.
I wanted a machine that I can just use. I hope that OS X won't tempt me to tinker as much as Linux does.
I was intrigued by the Pages part of Apple's iWork suite, particularly its ability to annotate one's work. I think this could be useful to me when writing.
I got a $1000 tax refund, and I don't think my wife would approve of me spending it on hookers 'n blow. :twisted:

Well, hookers n'blow, is nice and all, but won't last as long as a macbook.

I am realy impressed with this one, specially the suspend to ram funcion.
Battery life is great, I get about 4 hours WITH bluetooth and wifi on, and brightness to about 3/4.

Gooob buy really

YourSurrogateGod
June 7th, 2006, 07:16 PM
I don't think I'm going to become a Mac weenie. Remember that I'll still have a Linux box at home.
Not weenie, but arrogant ******.

YourSurrogateGod
June 7th, 2006, 07:18 PM
MacBooks are fine computers and I fail to see why anyone should "flame" you. Because it ships with OS X by default? Shouldn't we then flame anyone who buys a laptop since they ship with Wndows? At least with MacBook, not a dime of the money goes to MS :)-
Again, it's the arrogance of many mac users that I encounter that's a turn-off. That and many that I've met tend not to be the sharpest knife in the drawer...

Stormy Eyes
June 7th, 2006, 07:24 PM
Battery life is great, I get about 4 hours WITH bluetooth and wifi on, and brightness to about 3/4.

4 hours just by setting brightness to 75%? Holy crispy crap. I'm going to be a happy kitty when I get mine next week.

Donshyoku
June 7th, 2006, 07:27 PM
I haven't seen any mention of overheating or of a "cheap, plastic" feel on either ArsTechnica or MacWorld, and the guys at work who have MacBooks never mentioned anything of the sort. It's probably FUD.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2704

Overheating design error admitted by Apple.

Stormy Eyes
June 7th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Again, it's the arrogance of many mac users that I encounter that's a turn-off. That and many that I've met tend not to be the sharpest knife in the drawer...

Heh. It's not like having a Mac will make my ***** bigger.

Stormy Eyes
June 7th, 2006, 07:33 PM
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2704

Overheating design error admitted by Apple.

A design error? According to the article, the affected users forgot to properly unwrap their MacBooks.

Some MacBooks may have left the factory with a thin piece of clear plastic covering the rear vent. This is used in the factory to prevent dust from getting into your computer. If your MacBook has the plastic still over the vent, simply remove and discard it.

I appreciate you pointing it out, though; I'll make sure to take a good look at the vents before I fire my mac up.

Kernel Sanders
June 7th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Heh. It's not like having a Mac will make my ***** bigger.

If only all mac users thought like that! :p :p :p

Stormy Eyes
June 7th, 2006, 09:31 PM
If only all mac users thought like that! :p :p :p

Some Mac users want a bigger *****, and so they tend to indulge in wishful thinking. A lot of Linux and Windows users are like this as well. Me, I'm satisfied with my factory default equipment. :)

Donshyoku
June 7th, 2006, 10:09 PM
A design error? According to the article, the affected users forgot to properly unwrap their MacBooks.

I appreciate you pointing it out, though; I'll make sure to take a good look at the vents before I fire my mac up.

Must have missed that. ](*,)

I didn't mean to rain on your parade, the new units look amazing. Just thought you should have a heads up to be sure that they live up to the hype they are making with thier new TV spots (like the not restarting and then the MacBooks freezing... ironic).

I hope you enjoy it, can't imagine how you wouldn't! :D

YourSurrogateGod
June 8th, 2006, 12:23 AM
Just curious, but has anyone installed Ubuntu on an Intel Mac lappy?

cromestant
June 8th, 2006, 12:27 AM
yep, there are a couple of how toos on the forum, i' ll be following one either tonight or tomorow. on my new macbook..

Rikostan
June 8th, 2006, 01:00 AM
I wouldn't mind having a mac laptop. I just got a Blue and White g3 a couple of months ago and I enjoy using it.

I like to cheack out pretty much eveything to do with computers though, so I don't lock myself down to just one style/format/configuration.

RAV TUX
June 8th, 2006, 01:33 AM

sounds OK but I really want a notebook with a longer battery life and much lighter weight:

The Fujitsu P7000

gets over twice as much battery life:

Long Battery Life. Work All Day.
Dual battery configurations give you just the amount of life you need. The main high capacity battery provides a life of up to 7.75 hours¹. Swap the combo drive for the modular bay battery and you'll get up to an incredible 11 hours¹.

and it weighs under 3lbs

Full-Featured Notebook
Weighing under 3 pounds with an optical drive and a main battery, the new Fujitsu LifeBook P7000 notebook combines an ultra-compact form factor, high-performance processing power and entertainment functionality to create a mobile solution ideal for business professionals, commuters, students and technology enthusiasts.

and it is just beautiful

http://img306.imageshack.us/img306/4883/backangleright8yp.th.jpg (http://img306.imageshack.us/my.php?image=backangleright8yp.jpg)

http://img306.imageshack.us/img306/7488/applpanel21ap.th.jpg (http://img306.imageshack.us/my.php?image=applpanel21ap.jpg)

http://img306.imageshack.us/img306/5793/glamour1vq.th.jpg (http://img306.imageshack.us/my.php?image=glamour1vq.jpg)

http://img306.imageshack.us/img306/9611/rightanglecdout1zj.th.jpg (http://img306.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rightanglecdout1zj.jpg)

http://img306.imageshack.us/img306/4307/p71202zn.th.jpg (http://img306.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p71202zn.jpg)

I am still leaning strongly towards the Fujitsu.

EDIT:

but I am torn between Apple and Fujitsu.

azazel-
June 8th, 2006, 02:15 AM
sounds OK but I really want a notebook with a longer battery life and much lighter weight:

<snip>

I am still leaning strongly towards the Fujitsu.

Why would you spam this into a thread where someone is excited and posting about his new Apple laptop purchase? Seems rather rude.

RAV TUX
June 8th, 2006, 02:31 AM
Why would you spam this into a thread where someone is excited and posting about his new Apple laptop purchase? Seems rather rude.
spam is the single most strongest four letter word to use in a forum! it is the ultimate insult so you are getting off on the wrong foot with me here! To post a personal insult instead of PM'ing is more rude! Your flaming post is an ultimate example of spam!

I am trying to decide between a purchase of an apple or a fujitsu, this thread is helping me on this decission

but right now I am too pissed after your post to get into intellectual discourse on how this correlates. nor do I feel I have to justify it.

The posting of a thread on an Apple product is invitation for discourse and discussion on comparisons and contrast to other options to purchase. I have been struggling with this for a while.

anyway....carry on!

cromestant
June 8th, 2006, 03:26 AM
I do not consider his reply spam... I think it's great that he is giving prospective buyers another choice, although I am curious about the price of that everlasting, bunny whipping fujistu lappy...

Well don't start a flame war, it's not really useful..

RAV TUX
June 8th, 2006, 03:37 AM
I do not consider his reply spam... I think it's great that he is giving prospective buyers another choice, although I am curious about the price of that everlasting, bunny whipping fujistu lappy...

Thanks for the support.

about twice as much as the Apple mentioned in this thread.

Stormy Eyes
June 8th, 2006, 01:34 PM

Leave him alone. He's not bothering me, so why should you care?

Stormy Eyes
June 8th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Holy crispy crap. Fed-Ex just delivered my MacBook. I can't play with it just yet 'cos I'm on the job, but damn that was fast -- especially for free shipping.

Reshin
June 8th, 2006, 03:24 PM
oh gaaawwwd....so purty....I know I'm not gonna do anything with it but I still want it...HELP! ](*,)

fuscia
June 8th, 2006, 03:26 PM
Holy crispy crap. Fed-Ex just delivered my MacBook. I can't play with it just yet 'cos I'm on the job, but damn that was fast -- especially for free shipping.

tell them your sick and leave.

Stormy Eyes
June 8th, 2006, 03:30 PM
tell them your sick and leave.

I can leave for lunch in 90 minutes, and it's a 5 minute walk home. :)

cromestant
June 8th, 2006, 04:34 PM
congrats, and enjoy, I have succesuful dual booting on mine ( win/osx) now tonight will add ubuntu dapper to it. Tell you how it works when it's done

YourSurrogateGod
June 8th, 2006, 06:03 PM
congrats, and enjoy, I have succesuful dual booting on mine ( win/osx) now tonight will add ubuntu dapper to it. Tell you how it works when it's done
I'm curious, how is XP working on it? Any problems?

fortherose
June 8th, 2006, 06:07 PM
I am new to this forum and not too sure how to use it, but here goes. I don't know if I'm speaking to a group or an individual, but here is my question. How and where do I input the following data, in order to improve the performance of my ATI Radeon x700 on my laptop. I don't know much about programming, but I can follow directions well. Thank you very much...James

Section "Device"
Identifier "card0"
Driver "fglrx"
Option "no_accel" "no"
Option "no_dri" "no"
Option "DynamicClocks" "on"
Option "mtrr" "on"
Option "DesktopSetup" "Single"
Option "ScreenOverlap" "0"
Option "Capabilities" "0x00000000"
Option "CapabilitiesEx" "0x00000000"
Option "VideoOverlay" "on"
Option "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
Option "CenterMode" "off"
Option "PseudoColorVisuals" "off"
Option "Stereo" "off"
Option "StereoSyncEnable" "1"
Option "FSAAEnable" "no"
Option "FSAAScale" "1"
Option "FSAADisableGamma" "no"
Option "FSAACustomizeMSPos" "no"
Option "FSAAMSPosX0" "0.000000"
Option "FSAAMSPosY0" "0.000000"
Option "FSAAMSPosX1" "0.000000"
Option "FSAAMSPosY1" "0.000000"
Option "FSAAMSPosX2" "0.000000"
Option "FSAAMSPosY2" "0.000000"
Option "FSAAMSPosX3" "0.000000"
Option "FSAAMSPosY3" "0.000000"
Option "FSAAMSPosX4" "0.000000"
Option "FSAAMSPosY4" "0.000000"
Option "FSAAMSPosX5" "0.000000"
Option "FSAAMSPosY5" "0.000000"
Option "UseFastTLS" "0"
Option "BlockSignalsOnLock" "on"
Option "UseInternalAGPGART" "no"
Option "ForceGenericCPU" "no"
Option "KernelModuleParm" "agplock=0"
Option "PowerState" "1"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Stormy Eyes
June 8th, 2006, 06:12 PM
I'm sorry, fortherose, but I can't help you. I don't have any experience with ATI hardware. Try reposting your question in the Hardware Help: Video and Sound (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=138) section; the "Community Cafe" section is more of a bull session than a support forum. :)

YourSurrogateGod
June 8th, 2006, 06:19 PM
I'm sorry, fortherose, but I can't help you. I don't have any experience with ATI hardware. Try reposting your question in the Hardware Help: Video and Sound (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=138) section; the "Community Cafe" section is more of a bull session than a support forum. :)
Maybe it's the fact that you just got your lappy, but that creeped me out...

Stormy Eyes
June 8th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Maybe it's the fact that you just got your lappy, but that creeped me out...

I was serious; I don't know jack about ATI gear, and he did post in the wrong section.

YourSurrogateGod
June 8th, 2006, 06:33 PM
I was serious; I don't know jack about ATI gear, and he did post in the wrong section.
I don't doubt that, it's just that I expected you to be not so nice/polite for some reason...

Kernel Sanders
June 8th, 2006, 06:43 PM

So? How is you brand spanking new machine? :p

Stormy Eyes
June 8th, 2006, 06:49 PM
So? How is you brand spanking new machine? :p

It's f---ing sweet. I've got to RTFM since there are quite a few things Apple does differently from Linux and Windows, but I can deal with that. I look forward to showing my wife the built-in camera; she'll love it. :)

And my cat loves it.

Stormy Eyes
June 8th, 2006, 06:50 PM
I don't doubt that, it's just that I expected you to be not so nice/polite for some reason...

He asked a reasonable question, and he wasn't bitching or whining.

cromestant
June 8th, 2006, 06:52 PM
Ok, first of all windows works perfectly, and to be honest I loove the refit boot menu..

Now as for ati cards, I don't have one either, but that seems to be an xorg.conf seccion.
back up the working xorg.conf before doing this as you might not get it right the first time :
sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup
then:

just open the /etc/X11/xorg.conf and comment out the current video card device section ( just put a # in front of each line), then put the device section you posted there as a replacement.
make sure that all references to the old
"IDENTIFIER " are changed to the new name " card0"
because that is the way the other sections ( like server mapping) will look for it, and if they are pointing to the old name ( say "vga device") you WILL get an error on starting X because it won't be able to find it in the config.
Then try to restart X :
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart

you might get an error, so in that case return to the previous backup file
sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf-notworking
( to backup the file htat is not working at the moment so that you can troubleshoot it)
then sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup /etc/X11/xorg.conf

restart X and it should work, so that you can browse a little more and see why your new file isn't working.

I find that this way you can switch between config files easily, and try out your new config.

hope this helps

Kernel Sanders
June 8th, 2006, 09:29 PM
It's f---ing sweet. I've got to RTFM since there are quite a few things Apple does differently from Linux and Windows, but I can deal with that. I look forward to showing my wife the built-in camera; she'll love it. :)

And my cat loves it.

Excellent! Congrats dude! :p

RAV TUX
June 9th, 2006, 02:06 AM

And my cat loves it.

Cool!!! can you post some screenshots of your new laptop in action?

YourSurrogateGod
June 9th, 2006, 02:11 AM
He asked a reasonable question, and he wasn't bitching or whining.
Point taken, I guess I underestimated your nicer side.

Patrick-Ruff
June 9th, 2006, 03:24 AM
right on man, isant Mac OS X much like Linux? having the Unix base system and all that...

cromestant
June 9th, 2006, 04:41 AM
Not quite... it's derived from BSD ( uses Darwin), which are all descendents of UNIX, linux is like a bastard son of UNIX, so in that way they are similar,
you can have a bash terminal, but that's about it..
you have no package manager ( like apt) , although you can install PORTAGE (gentoos package manager) but it still has many bugs...
and macos will soon not be open source...

YourSurrogateGod
June 9th, 2006, 04:46 AM
and macos will soon not be open source...
I believe that it is already closed source.

cromestant
June 9th, 2006, 05:22 AM
some of it was still open.
as you can se on this link (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/05/20060523171036.shtml)

I believe that the graphics part (aqua I think) is completly closed, but I don't know about the darwin kernel, I think it was still open

Stormy Eyes
June 9th, 2006, 05:25 AM
The Unix core, Darwin, is open. Everything else -- the GUI, the applicatons -- are proprietary. I have to admit that I like Apple's "Pages 2" word processor a lot better than I like OpenOffice. I wouldn't mind having the icons from Dapper available for OS X, though; they're f---ing sweet.

Stormy Eyes
June 9th, 2006, 05:26 AM
Cool!!! can you post some screenshots of your new laptop in action?

Tomorrow. I didn't RTFM to figure out how to take screenshots yet. I was learning how to use the word processor and getting used to the trackpad and keyboard.

cromestant
June 9th, 2006, 05:55 AM
yeah the trackpad is tricky, I am on the process of installing ubuntu dapper on it now.

Well to take screenshots you have to do command (apple key)+shift+3

there are other shortcuts for this that allow you to take a screenshot of the focused app only, and another one to select the area of the screenshot ( keys, then drag the mouse on the area you want to take the screenshot..)
this is a little of what you can do : Click me! (http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/2003/02/28/screenshot.html)

Stormy Eyes
June 9th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Well to take screenshots you have to do command (apple key)+shift+3

Thanks. I'll post a couple tonight if I remember to.

YourSurrogateGod
June 9th, 2006, 02:18 PM
I have a question about the Mac lappy that you bought Stormy (or anyone else in the know for that matter.) Is it possible to have touch-pad areas in it? I remember on my Gateway Solo 5300 I could designate certain portions of my touchpad (the corners of it, that is) to minimize a window, maximize it, close a window, etc.

Stormy Eyes
June 9th, 2006, 02:38 PM
I have a question about the Mac lappy that you bought Stormy (or anyone else in the know for that matter.) Is it possible to have touch-pad areas in it? I remember on my Gateway Solo 5300 I could designate certain portions of my touchpad (the corners of it, that is) to minimize a window, maximize it, close a window, etc.

The manual that came with my MacBook didn't mention anything of the sort. The keyboard shortcuts are pretty easy once you get used to them, though.

YourSurrogateGod
June 9th, 2006, 02:46 PM
The manual that came with my MacBook didn't mention anything of the sort. The keyboard shortcuts are pretty easy once you get used to them, though.
Well, that's cool, I was just wondering.

Stormy Eyes
June 9th, 2006, 02:56 PM
By the way, the Mac version of VLC is an excellent program. If you've got Samba shares working on your Linux box, you can have your Mac grab files out of your linux box over the network. And there's a version of Vim for OS X Tiger too. (http://macvim.org/OSX/index.php) Sweet!

cromestant
June 9th, 2006, 02:56 PM
no you can't do that , but you can activate active corners on the screen, which will do a certain action when you position the mouse on the corner, go to system preferences, Dashboard & exposé, and you'll see
I usually activate only the bottom right, and bottom left, since the other two, I always accidentally activate them.. so I decided to jus leave them with no action.
But bottom right, I have the sort all windows, and bottom left I have dashboard popping up ( on my macbook). on my mini, I also have a mighty mouse, and have configured the dashboard on the middle button, and sorting on the side buttons..

YourSurrogateGod
June 9th, 2006, 02:59 PM
no you can't do that , but you can activate active corners on the screen, which will do a certain action when you position the mouse on the corner, go to system preferences, Dashboard & exposé, and you'll see
I usually activate only the bottom right, and bottom left, since the other two, I always accidentally activate them.. so I decided to jus leave them with no action.
But bottom right, I have the sort all windows, and bottom left I have dashboard popping up ( on my macbook). on my mini, I also have a mighty mouse, and have configured the dashboard on the middle button, and sorting on the side buttons..
Seems to me like something that can be resolved if the drivers were better written. One thing I forgot to mention, that feature that I described worked with Win2k, but not with XP, the drivers seem to have changed.

cromestant
June 9th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Seems to me like something that can be resolved if the drivers were better written. One thing I forgot to mention, that feature that I described worked with Win2k, but not with XP, the drivers seem to have changed.
Actually it works perfectl, but the problem is me, since I tend to send the mouse cursor too far and activate the features ( trying to close a window, or activating Bluetooth, things like these, and If i'm in a hurry I always move the mouse too far , and get dashboard or something)

But it actually works great if you are not that clumsy:mrgreen:

fuscia
June 9th, 2006, 04:50 PM
how's the speed? one thing that bothered me about the ppc models was how sluggish they all seemed. i'm not sure how seriously to take their 'one fourth less slow' campaign, especially as they used to advertise how fast the ppc models were.

Stormy Eyes
June 9th, 2006, 05:45 PM
how's the speed? one thing that bothered me about the ppc models was how sluggish they all seemed. i'm not sure how seriously to take their 'one fourth less slow' campaign, especially as they used to advertise how fast the ppc models were.

I'd say that my MacBook is about as fast as my AMD64 machine running Dapper with Xgl/Compiz. Oh, and here's a screenshot:

Click Me! (http://ubuntuforums.org/gallery/showimage.php?i=2830&c=4)

tseliot
June 9th, 2006, 08:19 PM
The Unix core, Darwin, is open. Everything else -- the GUI, the applicatons -- are proprietary. I have to admit that I like Apple's "Pages 2" word processor a lot better than I like OpenOffice. I wouldn't mind having the icons from Dapper available for OS X, though; they're f---ing sweet.
Does the office suit come with the OS by default and for free?

Stormy Eyes
June 9th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Does the office suit come with the OS by default and for free?

A 30-day trial version comes pre-installed. If you decide you like it, you can buy it for $80.

cromestant
June 9th, 2006, 08:34 PM
but you might want to wait, because it's still made for ppc, so that means it runs on rosetta, which is like a VM for ppc. There should be a mactel version of office comming soon.

tseliot
June 9th, 2006, 08:37 PM
A 30-day trial version comes pre-installed. If you decide you like it, you can buy it for $80.
Ok, it seems much cheaper than MS Office.

Stormy Eyes
June 9th, 2006, 08:37 PM
but you might want to wait, because it's still made for ppc, so that means it runs on rosetta, which is like a VM for ppc. There should be a mactel version of office comming soon.

Are you talking about iWork or MS Office?

Stormy Eyes
June 9th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Ok, it seems much cheaper than MS Office.

Better, too, IMHO. The screenshot I linked to in this thread shows Pages in action. Notice the margin notes. :)

cromestant
June 9th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Yeah you are right I was talking about ms office.. Sorry, I got confused since there is also a 30 day trial of msoffice..
I have not tried iwork yet, but I will after your comments.

tseliot
June 9th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Stormy
I have another question about your Mac. Is its fan noisy?

Ok perhaps it's just my old hp which causes me a bad headache.

Stormy Eyes
June 9th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Stormy
I have another question about your Mac. Is its fan noisy?

No, I've yet to hear the fan. Of course, my MacBook might not have gotten hot enough to require the fan.

vayu
June 9th, 2006, 11:36 PM
I'd say that my MacBook is about as fast as my AMD64 machine running Dapper with Xgl/Compiz. Oh, and here's a screenshot:

Click Me! (http://ubuntuforums.org/gallery/showimage.php?i=2830&c=4)

I bought a dual core Mac Mini recently, it flys. Stormy Eyes, how do you like Pages2? Did it come with the MacBook?

Stormy Eyes
June 10th, 2006, 01:15 AM
I bought a dual core Mac Mini recently, it flys. Stormy Eyes, how do you like Pages2? Did it come with the MacBook?

A 30 day trial copy came with the MacBook. I'm going to buy it when I get paid next week, and an AirPort as well.

RAV TUX
June 10th, 2006, 01:34 AM
StormyEyes have you considered Virtualization on your OS X ?

Please respond in this thread:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=193311

RAV TUX
June 10th, 2006, 04:34 AM
StormyEyes have you considered Virtualization on your OS X ?

Please respond in this thread:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=193311

I haven't considered using Parallels yet. In fact, I hadn't heard about it until you mentioned it, Yozef.

Thanks for the response StormyEyes, let me know if you decide to use it.

Stormy Eyes
June 10th, 2006, 05:05 AM
By the way, the MacBook includes a little tool called OmniOutliner, which absolutely rules if you want to create outlines.

RAV TUX
June 10th, 2006, 05:31 AM
By the way, the MacBook includes a little tool called OmniOutliner, which absolutely rules if you want to create outlines.

DEVONtechnologies makes some awesome products for Mac, give them a try:

http://www.devon-technologies.com/

http://www.devon-technologies.com/files/teasers/devonnote.jpg (http://www.devon-technologies.com/products/devonnote/) http://www.ubuntuforums.org/files/teasers/devonagent.jpg (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/products/devonagent)
Built for Mac OS X

http://www.devon-technologies.com/Resources/icondevonthinkpr.jpeg

DEVONthink (http://www.devon-technologies.com/products/devonthink/index.html)
Information Manager with Built-in AI

http://www.devon-technologies.com/Resources/icondevonagent.jpeg

DEVONagent (http://www.devon-technologies.com/products/devonagent/index.html)
Intelligent Internet Research Assistant

http://www.devon-technologies.com/Resources/icondevonnote.jpeg

DEVONnote (http://www.devon-technologies.com/products/devonnote/index.html)
Intelligent Notepad for Your Notes and Bookmarks

http://www.devon-technologies.com/Resources/iconphotostickie.jpeg

PhotoStickies (http://www.devon-technologies.com/products/photostickies/index.html)
Photo and Webcam Viewer for Your Desktop

I've seen DEVONthink in action and this single program makes me want to buy a Mac OS X.

Stormy Eyes
June 10th, 2006, 01:43 PM
DEVONtechnologies makes some awesome products for Mac, give them a try

Those apps might be overkill for my purposes. I've got a good word processor, and I finally have a good outlining tool instead of having to format the demon-ridden things by hand. It even does folding, so I can put irrelevant topics aside. :)

fuscia
June 10th, 2006, 02:01 PM
stormy eyes is turning into glazy eyes.

Stormy Eyes
June 10th, 2006, 02:39 PM
stormy eyes is turning into glazy eyes.

*meow?* No I'm not. I'm in top condition; I just got laid, I've got a belly full of good chow, and I've got Iron Maiden cranked up to 11 in iTunes. I can take on the whole damn world right now, just me and my sledgehammer.

fuscia
June 10th, 2006, 02:44 PM
*meow?* No I'm not. I'm in top condition; I just got laid, I've got a belly full of good chow, and I've got Iron Maiden cranked up to 11 in iTunes. I can take on the whole damn world right now, just me and my sledgehammer.

"me and my sledgehammer
strolling down the avenue..."

Stormy Eyes
June 10th, 2006, 04:42 PM
"me and my sledgehammer
strolling down the avenue..."

*meow?* That's not Iron Maiden.

RAV TUX
June 10th, 2006, 05:08 PM

you just need some more Cowbell !

Stormy Eyes
June 10th, 2006, 09:34 PM
you just need some more Cowbell !

I think Firefox for Mac could use more cowbell. It's not a bad browser, but I think Safari loads faster and Safari's text appears to be more readable.

fuscia
June 10th, 2006, 09:38 PM
*meow?* That's not Iron Maiden.

oh! well, uh...maybe you could use garage band to make it sound more like iron maiden.

Stormy Eyes
June 10th, 2006, 09:44 PM
oh! well, uh...maybe you could use garage band to make it sound more like iron maiden.

Anything that comes out of GarageBand on my Mac is going to sound like my old high-school prog rock band, the Doomed Space Marines.

RAV TUX
June 11th, 2006, 12:08 AM
I think Firefox for Mac could use more cowbell. It's not a bad browser, but I think Safari loads faster and Safari's text appears to be more readable.

Not surprising that Apple would make their proprietary Browser work better with their OS, they are acheiving what Microsoft should have been doing all along...but now it's beyond their grasp.

"(Windows...) 3) 100000 Viruses 4) An unprecedent unstability 5) If you want to know about how will feel ******* in 2 decades, use an OS X Mac now." --Doctor Zoidberg

have you tried Opera 9.00 beta 2 on Mac yet?

Stormy Eyes
June 11th, 2006, 01:05 AM
have you tried Opera 9.00 beta 2 on Mac yet?

No, I haven't. Maybe I'll try Opera 9 when it goes gold.

MetalMusicAddict
June 11th, 2006, 02:45 AM
http://cinema-review.com/images/dvd/ThisIsSpinalTap.jpg
Hell yea. \.../

I went to an Apple store today and fingered everything. I LOVE their design but I just cant swallow the price. I would just wanna run Ubuntu on 'em anyway. I think I would still buy a Canonical/Ubuntu PC if they were as slick as an Apple and cost the same.:-k

mstlyevil
June 11th, 2006, 05:05 AM
I am going to save to buy a mac-mini next year. I might even splurge and buy the apple flat panel monitor too.

Stormy Eyes
June 11th, 2006, 06:00 AM
I am going to save to buy a mac-mini next year. I might even splurge and buy the apple flat panel monitor too.

Dude, just get a MacBook. They rock like ninja.

mstlyevil
June 11th, 2006, 06:32 AM
Dude, just get a MacBook. They rock like ninja.

Do you have the macbook or the macbook pro?

Edit: I saw later you bought the $1099 model. I would at least upgrade the memory to 1 gig.

Stormy Eyes
June 11th, 2006, 01:55 PM
Edit: I saw later you bought the $1099 model. I would at least upgrade the memory to 1 gig.

I might get some RAM from Crucial later on. I'm not having any trouble running with 512MB at the moment, since I'm a writer and not a graphics/movie person. :)

cromestant
June 11th, 2006, 06:04 PM
well your firefox sluggishness might be the memory... I have 1 gb, and ( except for the first time) it loads just as fast as safari. Safari is a good browser, but still has some problems with JS and Ajax (does not load google chat in gmail), so I still stick to my trustworthy firefox.

Stormy Eyes
June 11th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Safari is a good browser, but still has some problems with JS and Ajax (does not load google chat in gmail), so I still stick to my trustworthy firefox.

Well, I can use regular Gmail in Safari, and I don't use Google Talk, so that's not an issue for me. I might upgrade the RAM later on, and then try Firefox.

cromestant
June 11th, 2006, 10:18 PM
by the way, i've been using parallels for a few days now, and I really am impressed with it, their claim that it runs at nearly native speeds is true.
only wish they had 3d acceleration.

ASUmusicMAN
June 12th, 2006, 05:28 AM
I'm in the same boat (re: in the market) like several of the other users on here and I was hoping you'd give me a more detailed impression of your mb. I'm currently running dapper on my dell 700m, but playing with osx is very intoxicating, and I'm almost ready to jump over and try it. You mentioned earlier about how there are ways to run linux apps on osx. What's involving in accomplishing that?

Also I hate to beat the horse, but I have to ask: how hot does you mb get? I don't plan on doing anything super intense on my future laptop, but I was just wondering as far as wifi/surfing, itunes and office are concerned am I going to have a campfire in my lap? And anything you want to chime in with on ubuntu compatibility would be awesome as well. Thanks!

drizek
June 12th, 2006, 06:54 AM
Just in case you werent sure you wanted to spray paint it,

http://flickr.com/photos/tswartz/tags/macbook/

cromestant
June 12th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Well while doing cpu intensive stuff (editing videos, many apps open at the same time,even watching a DVD) it does get hotter than my dell inspiron 5150.but it's not unbearable.

ikilledclown
June 13th, 2006, 10:58 AM
I use a ibook with linux, I was only gonna partition but then I made that go wrong and now osx wont install!
I don't care now though, I'm loving linux!
I'm getting a new macbook soon and I'm going to partition that (hopefully not make it go wrong)
If anyone has done it tell me how it is.

cromestant
June 13th, 2006, 12:48 PM
There are a couple of good working guides, although one of them mentions using the alternate install cd, which just locked up while installing X for me, but I did the same by using the normal install with no problems
here are the links

macbook 1 (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=188331&highlight=macbook)
and
Mackbook2 (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=187465&highlight=macbook)