PDA

View Full Version : Is everyone here pretty much addicted to computers?

Learning Linux 2011
January 9th, 2012, 04:18 AM
When I was a kid, there basically were no personal computers, yet now people act like they can't live without them, even to the point of panicking, yet most people don't really need them. I don't even know what to do with myself anymore without a computer nearby, yet I used to actually survive without them.

I don't go outside as much or as long, I don't talk to people as much, my relationships suffer, etc. all because of technology.

When you think about it, what do people even really need computers for? Sure you can look stuff up, but there are also books for that. Sure you can e-mail, but there are also phones and face-to-face meetings and airplanes. Sure you can draw, but there is paper for that too.

Or am I looking at it the wrong way?

skumara
January 9th, 2012, 10:19 AM
When I was a kid, there basically were no personal computers, yet now people act like they can't live without them, even to the point of panicking, yet most people don't really need them. I don't even know what to do with myself anymore without a computer nearby, yet I used to actually survive without them. I don't go outside as much or as long, I don't talk to people as much, my relationships suffer, etc. all because of technology.

When you think about it, what do people even really need computers for?
Sure you can look stuff up, but there are also books for that. Sure you can e-mail, but there are also phones and face-to-face meetings and airplanes. Sure you can draw, but there is paper for that too.

You need to see a good psychologist and discuss your problems man. Computer is there to simplyfy your life.
Searching stuff in books takes long time. U need to go library everytime because you don't have all the book in your house. wikipedia replaces your need to go library
phone , face-toface meetings and airplanes cost more than online video chat. You can still face-to-face in video chat. Paper... common man how many trees you have save by drawing in computer and if it didn't workout you can magically delete your drawing and start drawing again. You can do this 100 times. If you use papers you will clear one forest every year if you draw 100 times the same things. Computer makes your work easier.

Gremlinzzz
January 9th, 2012, 02:56 PM
About the same as a car or watching T.V. computer use is just another toy.
cars make it so you dont walk as much.T.V.s keep you from going out.but you control what you want to do not a technolgy addiction.So go out meet people start a relationship find someone with your interest.basicly, try to have some fun:popcorn:

pr3zident
January 9th, 2012, 03:08 PM
When I was a kid, there basically were no personal computers, yet now people act like they can't live without them, even to the point of panicking, yet most people don't really need them. I don't even know what to do with myself anymore without a computer nearby, yet I used to actually survive without them.

I don't go outside as much or as long, I don't talk to people as much, my relationships suffer, etc. all because of technology.

When you think about it, what do people even really need computers for? Sure you can look stuff up, but there are also books for that. Sure you can e-mail, but there are also phones and face-to-face meetings and airplanes. Sure you can draw, but there is paper for that too.

find somebody that loves the same stuff you do, so you could feel comfortable and if your on your computer so much find a way to take over the world !!!!

KdotJ
January 9th, 2012, 04:19 PM
In my opinion, It's one of those "Why stop there" questions. We can live without computers? sure but why stop there?

We don't need cars/trains or planes.. we can just walk.
We don't need to build houses, we can live in natural caves.
We don't need electricity, we can use fire to heat and light...

It's all about moving forward in technology... and in life.

My 2 cents

BrokenKingpin
January 9th, 2012, 04:26 PM
I would say my life heavily revolved around computers and technology. I am a profession computer programmer, and also the IT manager of a small office. On top of that I am always messing around with computers at home.

cbowman57
January 9th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Hi, my name is Chuck & I'm a self-confessed information junkie with a soft spot for Linux. :)

I went for years without a microwave too, but now can hardly live without one now.

techvish81
January 9th, 2012, 04:47 PM
if the addiction is up to the point where your personal relations are affected and you dont have time for anybody in your life , then there could be something to worry, otherwise computer is the most important step ahead in the evolution of human intelligence and it can't be blamed for people using it in a wrong way.

the law is applicable everywhere , kitchen knife to nuclear energy..!!!

Dry Lips
January 9th, 2012, 05:38 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_addiction_disorder
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_addiction

forrestcupp
January 9th, 2012, 06:25 PM
I can't stop grinding them up and snorting them. :lol:

mamamia88
January 9th, 2012, 06:41 PM
I'm pretty much attached at the hip to my android phone and netbook but I wouldn't call myself addicted. It's just nice to have.

Carpentr
January 9th, 2012, 07:08 PM
When I was younger I used to do all sorts of things besides using a computer. Now I spend most of my free time on one after learning more about programming, computer gaming, etc. I could live without one, but I would miss my hobby a lot!

BrokenKingpin
January 9th, 2012, 07:22 PM
if the addiction is up to the point where your personal relations are affected and you dont have time for anybody in your life , then there could be something to worry, ...

This can be said about any addiction, not just tech related.

A lot of my friends have the same tech addiction I do, so it actually helps me from a social perspective. I am also married, and my wife has learned to deal with it :P.

That being said, when I am out of the house I can actually function without being tied to my cell phone. I find it very annoying when I am out with friends and they are on their phone the whole time.... it is just disrespectful. This seems to be an increasing problem. I can't even count how many times people have walked into me in the store because they are texting and walking at the same time not looking where they are going. And why are parents giving their 12 year old daughters phones to sit and text on all day... it is insane.

Dry Lips
January 16th, 2012, 07:20 PM
So, what do you guys think about this?

Internet Addicts Experience Brain Changes Like Alcoholics And Gamblers, Study Says
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/12/web-addicts-brain-chemistry-addiction-alcoholics-gamblers_n_1202480.html

Abnormal White Matter Integrity in Adolescents with Internet Addiction Disorder: A Tract-Based Spatial Statistics Study
http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0030253

sonicsackboyver.25.04
January 16th, 2012, 07:41 PM
I cant live without computer

KiwiNZ
January 16th, 2012, 07:47 PM
No

sixstorm
January 16th, 2012, 07:53 PM
I used to be, but my IT job has made sure to kill that one completely lol. I still like computers but I never want to work on them outside of work hours.

3Miro
January 16th, 2012, 08:00 PM
In 2002 I rented a small apartment, Internet wasn't as widespread as it is now, and even though I found a good place, it took me over a week and overall it was a pretty miserable experience. Think about how slow it is to call someone and at best hope to leave a message to an answering machine then wait back, or search through pages of news-paper adds, this is bad when I knew the region pretty well, had I not known, I would have been totally dead. Last week I moved to a new place over 8 hours away, I knew virtually nothing about the city and/or area. I arrived Monday evening around 7:00pm, I had a great apartment by Tuesday evening around 3:00pm. Thanks to the Internet, things couldn't have been smoother. I have all the information that I need right on my fingertips and while this isn't the only way to do thing, it is far better and far more efficient.

For some people, Internet can be addictive and harmful, but this isn't a reason for the rest of us to hold back. Beer can be addictive, Coffee can be addictive, TV and Movies can be addictive ... if someone has an addition, then they should seek and be given help, but for everyone that was hurt by the Internet, there are thousands that have their lives greatly improved.