PDA

View Full Version : Hacking my NOOK Tablet

doppel.ganger
January 8th, 2012, 06:05 PM
I want to hack my NOOK Tablet so I can run the Amazon Appstore app, and therefore, other android apps. Is there a file that I can alter to make that possible without damaging my NOOK?

doppel.ganger
January 8th, 2012, 06:10 PM
I already have the file, and when I open it using the package installer, it says for security reasons I can only install apps from the NOOK App store. Can I get around this?

aysiu
January 8th, 2012, 06:18 PM
I think you have to root your tablet to do this.
[Blocks OTA's!] Full root for Nook Tablet. [11/20/11] [Permanent root!] (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1354487)

doppel.ganger
January 8th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Is it possible to unroot it?

MG&TL
January 8th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Is it possible to unroot it?

IDK much about android (never owned one) But there's a heading at the end of the article headed 'unrooting' so...:D

doppel.ganger
January 8th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Still wont let me open the settings launcher for debugging. Same explanation as post #2.

doppel.ganger
January 8th, 2012, 07:57 PM
Ok, now it says there is a problem parsing the package, whatever that means.

doppel.ganger
January 8th, 2012, 08:39 PM
Redownloaded it, got rid of the parsing problem. How to I proceed from here?

kerry_s
January 8th, 2012, 08:53 PM
b&n blocked outside package installs as well as root with the recent update. google it

www.slashgear.com/bn-nook-tablet-firmware-update-blocks-app-sideloading-20203500/

doppel.ganger
January 8th, 2012, 08:58 PM
I almost hate BN now. Well, for every problem there's a solution. And somewhere there's got to be a true that can be toggled to false, right? Right?

kerry_s
January 8th, 2012, 09:19 PM
I almost hate BN now. Well, for every problem there's a solution. And somewhere there's got to be a true that can be toggled to false, right? Right?

you can still hack it, but you'll need to downgrade the update.
anyways this forums not the place for that, you need to head over to the xda forums. hacking talk is against the rules here.

doppel.ganger
January 8th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Thanks, kerry_s. I'll head over there. Sorry mods. Didn't know hacking/rooting talk isn't allowed.

kerry_s
January 8th, 2012, 11:17 PM
Thanks, kerry_s. I'll head over there. Sorry mods. Didn't know hacking/rooting talk isn't allowed.

yeah, they go crazy about trying to bypass security on a OS. it's like trying to turn on root in Ubuntu, every one screams use sudo. lol

personally my galaxy player 5.0 is rooted & tweaked to my needs. i don't even have a PC anymore, so i need it to do everything. i take it everywhere with me, it's awesome. if you return your nook look into it, it's the same price, just does more in 5 inches. :-)