PDA

View Full Version : How many of you have used MINIX 3..?

asifnaz
January 8th, 2012, 04:51 PM
I installed this Unix-like OS on one of my old spare Laptops .

It is very lightweight and stable and can be used as a desktop OS (to do basic day to day tasks )

I wonder how many of you have used it and what is your opinion about it ..?

jjex22
January 8th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Been using for just over a year, admittadly as a project with the text book (most expensive book I've bought since uni!) so as you can imagine, I've developed a strong love for it... like a dog!

Never installed it on bare metal though, how's that going? I've been tempted to give it a go on one of my desktops just for a try - I figured wi-fi was just going to make a laptop a no go to be honest. Mine runs in a virtualbox on my PPC mac - I've qemu'd it on another box, but it's found a home on the emac... irritatingly the PowerPC processor does limit virtualisation options slightly!

Have you played collosal cave adventure yet? seriously retro gaming! can't remember if it was installed by default now... there's only 2 games in binary to my knowledge!

pkgin update
pkgin install advent

llelectronics
January 8th, 2012, 05:43 PM
I have tried running it in virtualbox but somehow failed to get something really usable for surfing the web effectively.
The micro-kernel concept is really interesting and also the daemons or services and drivers that can reincarnate is a pretty cool feature. Too bad it isn't intented for major desktop users.

asifnaz
January 8th, 2012, 06:26 PM
I've developed a strong love for it... like a dog!

I feel exactly the same . I started learning Minix in high school and now I love it . It is not bloated and very light . Now it is stepping from educational use to common use .

BrokenKingpin
January 10th, 2012, 10:24 PM
Nope, I don't really see what it offers over Linux.

a2j
January 11th, 2012, 09:37 PM
I have Minix2 installed on (very) old 80286 machine.

TeamRocket1233c
January 12th, 2012, 12:20 AM
Well, I took a look at it, it looks pretty much exactly like Windows 95/98, which means I might try it.