PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can I upgrade from Ubuntu 10.04 to 11.10 without losing data?

Haisuke
January 8th, 2012, 12:02 AM
I really liked that version of the desktop much better than the 10.04 (Lucid). It wouldn't be so hard, but I don't want to use an install disc to upgrade to 11.10 (Oneiric), because of the programs and media that I've obtained, as I have nothing else big enough to store all that data on. Is there some way to upgrade, either built in or otherwise, to upgrade to 11.10?

Basher101
January 8th, 2012, 12:04 AM
Now you are in a small pinch...

Upgrades can be very buggy, that is why i always recommend a fresh install. But anyways, you can upgrade with the update manager. It should give you the option "Upgrade" everything else you will need is an internet connection and some free Hard drive space..

Haisuke
January 9th, 2012, 03:12 AM
Now you are in a small pinch...

Upgrades can be very buggy, that is why i always recommend a fresh install. But anyways, you can upgrade with the update manager. It should give you the option "Upgrade" everything else you will need is an internet connection and some free Hard drive space..

Unless I'm not looking at the right thing, it doesn't say "upgrade" anywhere...

bluexrider
January 9th, 2012, 03:33 AM
10.04 is LTS so when the next LTS is released it will be viable to upgrade.

I would not recommend jumping 10.04-10.10-11.04-11.10 thats just asking for something to break

raja.genupula
January 9th, 2012, 07:55 AM
10.04 is LTS so when the next LTS is released it will be viable to upgrade.

I would not recommend jumping 10.04-10.10-11.04-11.10 thats just asking for something to break

Yeah i agree with you , waiting for few more months is better than breaking your stable system (may be or may not be ) . Actually 12.04 will out on April 2012 . So wait for 3 more months and upgrade to 12.04 is the best. This is just my suggestion . If you dont care or worry even though you lost the stability of OS then you can do that upgrade chain because not a problem for fast internet service systems.

But what ever you do every time take Backup of your imp data.

All the best.:D:D