PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Software center fails on every install

davethewave83
January 7th, 2012, 11:33 PM
when I try to install a program with the software centre it gets 50% done then fails, sometimes it fails at 80% but it fails every time no matter what I am installing.

I went to look for the software and it is neither in the software available or software installed location, it went to limbo.

I figured a purge of the software centre and re-installation of it would fix it, however, when I use Synaptic to purge, it warns me that it is going to remove the "Ubuntu-desktop" which I really don't want to do.

is there a way to unlink these two things (the ubuntu-desktop and the software centre) or do I need to re-install the entire ubuntu-desktop to repair the problem?

mörgæs
January 8th, 2012, 02:31 PM
First you could try to boot the computer and run

sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Please post the error messages, if any.

davethewave83
January 9th, 2012, 02:25 AM
First you could try to boot the computer and run

sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Please post the error messages, if any.

Thanks! Actually I used Synaptic and did a re-install instead of a removal, that fixed it and didn't break gnome-desktop.

Is there a way to delete my initial post if no one has replied to it?

mörgæs
January 9th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Good, then please mark the thread 'solved'.

In general I would recommend that you forget about Software Centre and use Synaptic. It's fast, have more functionality and it actually works.

You can edit your posts but not delete them.

davethewave83
January 10th, 2012, 06:48 AM
Good, then please mark the thread 'solved'.

In general I would recommend that you forget about Software Centre and use Synaptic. It's fast, have more functionality and it actually works.

You can edit your posts but not delete them.

alright thanks