PDA

View Full Version : Linux.com site

Slapdash
March 10th, 2005, 12:15 PM
I went to Linux.com today and saw that they have a Huge Microsoft banner on their page adverising Office and Servers etc.
Why do you guys think they allow this. ( do this )
Aint that a bit crappy advertising for Linux in General?
:-?

neom
March 10th, 2005, 12:20 PM
I went to Linux.com today and saw that they have a Huge Microsoft banner on their page adverising Office and Servers etc.
Why do you guys think they allow this. ( do this )
Aint that a bit crappy advertising for Linux in General?
:-?

I noticed that the other day too.

Personally I found it quite amusing. :)

Slapdash
March 10th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Yeah I also laughed at first... :grin: but then i thought about it a bit. and now it bothers me :?

P.S I see you are from Canada. Man i wish I could call that country home. I would emigrate in a second if i had the chance.

neom
March 10th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Yeah I also laughed at first... :grin: but then i thought about it a bit. and now it bothers me :?

P.S I see you are from Canada. Man i wish I could call that country home. I would emigrate in a second if i had the chance.

I look at it this way...

If K-Mart could advertise about their lower prices in Wal-Mart, they would. And if wal-mart could charge K-Mart $660 per hour for doing it, it would be well worth their time.

I see linux.com as a resource, MS are surely paying them quite a lot of money for that space, the more money they make the better information they can provide us (In theory) and we all get to sit and laugh at MS trying to pick up linux geeks.

P.S - Canada is an amazing country to live in, I love it. I would say we are probably one of the best countries in the world for social programs and looking after each other.

jayded
March 10th, 2005, 12:46 PM
I live in Portland, Oregon.
I think that its the most 'Canada-like' place in the U.S. :-P

I also grew up in South Africa, there are some things I miss about it.
Its all a trade off.

I look at it this way...

If K-Mart could advertise about their lower prices in Wal-Mart, they would. And if wal-mart could charge K-Mart $660 per hour for doing it, it would be well worth their time.

I see linux.com as a resource, MS are surely paying them quite a lot of money for that space, the more money they make the better information they can provide us (In theory) and we all get to sit and laugh at MS trying to pick up linux geeks.

P.S - Canada is an amazing country to live in, I love it. I would say we are probably one of the best countries in the world for social programs and looking after each other.

Slapdash
March 10th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Yeah, I dont think enyone that really uses Linux is going to switch anyway ( back to Windows ) so yeah actually its good for them.

Yeah I read about a lot of things in Canada and Vancouver looks like an awesome city.

I'm going to try go on holiday there soon.

South Africa aint a bad place the only bad things here is the Crime I think.
And the Affarmative Action policies if you are white.
I have been turned down excellent jobs just because I'm white. But alas I am OK , there is a lot of far worse of people in the world.

I just wish race would'nt be an issue in the world . It reminds me of Distro-wars and KDE vs Gnome ;)

jayded
March 10th, 2005, 02:31 PM
Affirmative action is one of the main reasons I left SA. :-?

Yeah, I dont think enyone that really uses Linux is going to switch anyway ( back to Windows ) so yeah actually its good for them.

Yeah I read about a lot of things in Canada and Vancouver looks like an awesome city.

I'm going to try go on holiday there soon.

South Africa aint a bad place the only bad things here is the Crime I think.
And the Affarmative Action policies if you are white.
I have been turned down excellent jobs just because I'm white. But alas I am OK , there is a lot of far worse of people in the world.

I just wish race would'nt be an issue in the world . It reminds me of Distro-wars and KDE vs Gnome ;)

machiner
March 10th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Advertisers tend to help dictate content.

I saw that site last week and immediately wrote the site off.

Any self-respecting Linux website that allows microsoft to rent space on its website is a sham. I don't care how "important" or influential (let's hope not) or informative the site is - it's run by people with no committment to Linux - only $$$$.

Advertisers tend to help dictate content.

Slapdash
March 10th, 2005, 03:34 PM
hmmm... lets hope thats not the case!

Slapdash
March 11th, 2005, 09:32 AM
I mailed them this

Hi there.

First, let me commend you for a very informative and professional looking site.

I went to linux.com today and I saw that you have Microsoft Banners on your site advertising their products.

Don’t you think it gives off a bad taste to Linux users in general?

One could argue another point and say that it’s actually really funny because of MS’s stance on Linux and they are advertising on one of the most influential Linux sites.

I would like to get your views on this please, for the sake of understanding the matter and putting a community at ease.

Thank you

bored2k
March 11th, 2005, 09:37 AM
I mailed them this

Hi there.

First, let me commend you for a very informative and professional looking site.

I went to linux.com today and I saw that you have Microsoft Banners on your site advertising their products.

Don’t you think it gives off a bad taste to Linux users in general?

One could argue another point and say that it’s actually really funny because of MS’s stance on Linux and they are advertising on one of the most influential Linux sites.

I would like to get your views on this please, for the sake of understanding the matter and putting a community at ease.

Thank you
The answer is simple: the admin needs to pay rent.

It's amazing how M$ money affects everyone/everywhere.

I'd love if M$ would move to China to try turn legal buyers out of the M$ presumed 93% of the chinese population with home desktops working on illegal copies of it lol.

Slapdash
March 11th, 2005, 09:42 AM
I'd love if M$ would move to China to try turn legal buyers out of the M$ presumed 93% of the chinese population with home desktops working on illegal copies of it lol.

LOL :grin:

hashimoto
March 11th, 2005, 10:14 AM
There was some discussion about this (or some other linux site with MS ads) elsewhere something like a year or two ago. Someone pointed out that MS may have an aim in paying them huge money for ads. First they make them dependent on that income. Then one day they start pushing them: we want more MS friendly articles, a little critisism against linux, shift the contents little by little to the direction that we want OR ELSE...

We have a saying here which translates roughly: You sing the songs of the one whose bread you eat. There is probably an english version of this, but you get the idea.

Slapdash
March 11th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Yeah, I hear what you are saying.
It's still a bit worrying though.....
Its not bad that money is going from M$ to Linux even if it is relatively small amounts, but like you say who knows if content will be dictated later on :(

jeremy
March 11th, 2005, 12:49 PM
I hope that they are getting paid up front!

Slapdash
March 16th, 2005, 07:18 AM
Its been about a week now - no replies

jhands
March 16th, 2005, 07:21 AM
Its been about a week now - no replies
they must be feeling ashamed of it now ;-)

bored2k
March 16th, 2005, 07:24 AM
they must be feeling ashamed of it now ;-)
What if you send your question to slashdot.org ? that would be one heck of a story on slashdot
"Microsoft ads on LInux.com? BELIEVE IT "

Slapdash
March 16th, 2005, 07:26 AM
Very good idea, will do that.

Dragonfly_X
March 16th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Affirmative action is one of the main reasons I left SA. :-?

Affirmative action is the main reason i'm leaving now! Other big reasons is crime... I've been muged twice this year and last year the broke into my house 4 times and my car twice. I'm sick of it! :?

Slapdash
March 16th, 2005, 12:18 PM
yeah I hear you, my car was also broken into twice last year. the second time i caught them on the job...it wasnt pretty.

Ok once you are there hook me up ok? ;)

ssam
March 16th, 2005, 12:28 PM
slashdot and linux.com are both part of the open source technology group (http://www.ostg.com/), along with sourceforge and freshmeat. they all get mircosoft adds. there are many posts on slashdot about it.

i think they are big enough not to depend on microsoft for income.

Slapdash
March 16th, 2005, 12:36 PM
WHAT! Thats just wrong aint it?

Slapdash
April 12th, 2005, 09:08 AM
It looks like its off now.
Please let me know if you see any more MS ads on this site please.