PDA

View Full Version : Why is Ubuntu Women "official"?

dinda
June 6th, 2006, 05:19 PM
I was logged into the IRC channel Ubuntu-women last night and someone from wikipedia, who was reviewing the ubuntu women article there, asked why the group was listed as "official." I'm not sure if I had a good answer or if there is one. I asked them why they needed to know an explained how the community concept of ubuntu but did not know for certain if by "official" the group was some how approved or supported or "some other word" by Canonical. I told them I didn't think Canonical was tossing any money or specific marketing towards women but pointed them to someone at Canonical to ask more questions.

So I ask the group, what makes this group "official"?
:grin:

az
June 6th, 2006, 06:03 PM
I think any "official" development project is one that is sanctioned by the technical board. Likewise, any "official" community project is one that is sanctioned by the Community Council. In the past, had someone asked the CC for Ubuntu Women to be an official project?

Although seeded by Canonical employees, the plan is for those CC and TB positions eventually to be filled by community members.