PDA

View Full Version : Run ubuntu in RAM?

sutek89
January 7th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Hi. I was wondering if below was possibe. I think It could result in great speed improvement on newer machines with a lot of ram and fast CPUs.

Install ubuntu. /home on a different partition
Add and remove packages keeping size in mind. (Large programs could be compiled on the HDD using --prefix?)
Compress / (-/home) to a "file".

Boot system copying the compressed "file" to RAM and mounting it and running everything there.
Wrie a "Shutdown" script that will copy compressed "file" from RAM to HDD and shutdown when finished.
I understand that if the computer is not shot down properly all work will be lost, but thats not necesarily a bad thing, if harfull changes are done at least you're safe.
Write "Save your Work" script which will be identical to "shutdown" but without the shutdown.

The system would have to know that location of /home is on the harddrive.

swap would probably be on HDD as well I assume?

If anyone Has the necessary knowledge to make it happen could you please write a tutorial?

Is there anything I don't know, or am missing that would make this impossible or not worth doing minus the long boot and shutdown times?

I suppose it is a similar principle as Live CD.

oldfred
January 7th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Not a Tutorial, Moved to Installation & Upgrades.

Meizirkki
July 8th, 2012, 04:29 AM
I recently acquired an old server which has 26Gb of RAM installed. So I'm interested in this kind of a thing now :D

I read about the anything sync daemon (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Anything-sync-daemon) (asd) for Arch, a script that puts whatever files you want in tmpfs and periodically rsyncs them to HDD for permanent storage. It seems to be exactly what we need here, but I had no idea how to make it work. Arch's conf files are in different places. :-?

raja.genupula
July 8th, 2012, 11:44 AM
I recently acquired an old server which has 26Gb of RAM installed. So I'm interested in this kind of a thing now :D

I read about the anything sync daemon (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Anything-sync-daemon) (asd) for Arch, a script that puts whatever files you want in tmpfs and periodically rsyncs them to HDD for permanent storage. It seems to be exactly what we need here, but I had no idea how to make it work. Arch's conf files are in different places. :-?

Hey post your issue on your own thread , don't paste it on others .

Elfy
July 8th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Closed.

Please don't resurrect old threads - better to create your own.