PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can I use 11.04 for ever? Will I be safe after a while?

lovabill
January 7th, 2012, 11:43 AM
I really like version Ubuntu 11.04. I dont want Unity. I dont want Kubuntu or else. Can I use it like for 2-3 more years?

In wikipedia says that support will end in October '12. After that day, will my system be unsafe?

darkod
January 7th, 2012, 11:58 AM
With linux the problems are not that big when it remains without support as with windows, but you will probably miss out on a lot of software too. You would have to chase up the latest versions and install it yourself.

If you don't like Unity there is an option to use Gnome 3. That is little bit different from Gnome 2 but it's one option. I think you need to install the gnome 3 once, and after that at the login screen you can select whether you want to enter unity or gnome. It's even separate for the different users. One user can use unity and the other gnome, it doesn't need to be the same for all.

MARP1961
January 7th, 2012, 01:46 PM
If you end up upgrading to a later Ubuntu you can always install alternative desktop environments via Synaptic Package Manager. I would recommend XFCE (or Xubuntu Desktop) if you wish to keep the panels and the list-style menus that you like.

Johnaudi
January 7th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Ubuntu can live long... even Tho, Some apps seeds updates, but I would recommand sticking up with the latest version for a fix of bugs and stuff :KS

Rex Bouwense
January 7th, 2012, 03:44 PM
As has already been stated, the OS will work after its end of life date but you will not get security updates, bug fixes and patches. There are several other desktops out there to check out. Just because you do not like Unity is not a reason to update. You can download and install desktops or you can install different versions, Kubutu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu. There are also OS based on Ubuntu that do not use Unity (Mint, Bodi, etc) You have many options.

Johnaudi
January 7th, 2012, 03:48 PM
And there is always applications which are in need of a higher script or version to be runned on... Stay up to Date!

raja.genupula
January 7th, 2012, 03:49 PM
I really like version Ubuntu 11.04. I dont want Unity. I dont want Kubuntu or else. Can I use it like for 2-3 more years?

In wikipedia says that support will end in October '12. After that day, will my system be unsafe?

You said you don't like Ubuntu Unity so i suggest you Ubuntu 10.04 LTS but i agree with other friends posts.If you want only 11.04 and that too Ubuntu with out Unity then install Gnome 3 and from login screen choose the Gnome Classic.That's a classic desktop with out Unity.
:):)

lovabill
January 8th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Mint does not boot on my machine. I tried every forum there is on Google but nothing.

I guess I'll try Gnome3 over Ubuntu.
Thanks a lot, thought! The Gnome3 solution sounds great.

nickos
January 8th, 2012, 01:55 PM
i installed ubuntu 11.10 because of the need to upgrade,i hate unity as well so i installed gnome3 which is much better sudo apt-get install gnome-shell and i got rid of unity :) or you can switch to debian.

mörgæs
January 8th, 2012, 02:21 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1859961

lovabill
January 8th, 2012, 04:33 PM
I installed 11.10 and added gnome shell via software center. I logged in with Gnome classic, made a small color adjustment on the panel(alt+right click) and everything is wonderful.

Thank you guys. Problem solved.

mörgæs
January 8th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Good, then please mark the thread solved using 'thread tools'.