PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu LiveCD not booting to desktop

razaz03
January 6th, 2012, 02:37 PM
I'm trying to boot into a macbookpro (4,1) using the liveCD to install gdisk and solve my multi-boot MBR issues.

I can't "try ubuntu before installing" with the liveCD as it takes me to a black screen on my mac, nomodeset seems to load the drivers but it's welcoming me to Ubuntu 11.10 via command line - it won't boot into a graphical environment and I'm not sure why.

The final line displayed is Welcome to Ubuntu 11.10 (Linux 3.0.0-12-generic x86_64) with a
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ cursor, and the liveCD boots into a GUI fine in another PC.

Specs are a 4th gen MacBookPro, googling shows it a 2.6GHz core 2 Duo with 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM memory and a GeForce 8600M GT 512MB graphics card.

Please help me to boot into desktop from the liveCD!

ottosykora
January 6th, 2012, 03:09 PM
well they have here a special forum for mac users and ubuntu, those guys are definitely the experts on that:

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=328

razaz03
January 6th, 2012, 03:34 PM
I am already aware of the forum - but the fact that my laptop is a mac is inconsequential; ubuntu won't boot the way it should do and I'm stumped as to why.

I'll make a thread in the apple forums but I'm still of the opinion that this belongs here, as I reckon it's a case of the right boot option to load into the ubuntu GUI.

Cheers