PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Trying to recover 10.04 from 10.10 upgrade crash

grey1beard
January 6th, 2012, 01:39 PM
During an upgrade from 10.04LTS to 10.10, my toshiba satellite laptop suffered a power supply loss(running on mains adaptor ) at some time during the installation of the downloaded files.
Restoring power showed the 10.04 splash screen, then got as far as showing an old desktop folder in place, then a pop-up that repeatedly flashed into view for about 0.1 second at a time that says

The panel encountered a problem while loading "OAFID:GNOME_FastUserSwitchApplet"
Delete Don't delete
The tracker mouse icon is non-operative so I tried the keyboard strokes but that doesn't work during the brief appearance of the pop-up.

I've rebooted and tried grub menu -

"10.04.3 LTS, 2.6.32-12-rtai recovery mode" gets to a line

[ 1.850837]EXTS-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
Begin: Running /scripts/local-bottom ...
Done.
Done.
Begin: running /scripts/init-bottom ...
Done.
[ 5.267064] Adding 1253028k swap on /dev/sda5. Priority:-1 extends:1 across:12538028k
_
with a flashing cursor at the bottom, then no change over >10 minutes.

"10.04.3 LTS, 2.6.32-37-rtai recovery mode" gets to a line

[ 1.862216]EXTS-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
Begin: Running /scripts/local-bottom ...
Done.
Done.
Begin: running /scripts/init-bottom ...
Done.

_

All other recovery kernels offered get to the same end line, with the exception of 10.04 LTS 2.6.24-16 rtai which quotes a variety of problems, finishing with

BusyBox v1.13.3(Ubuntu 1:1.13.3-1ubuntu11) built in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built in commands.

(initramfs) _

This time with an active flashing cursor, and this led me via 'help' to the list.
I tried a sudo apt-get clean command as suggested on a forum thread, but it didn't find the sudo command.

Is there anything else I can try before I go for a completely new clean installation ?
Only a few recent folders will be lost, nothing disastrous.

John

2F4U
January 6th, 2012, 03:13 PM
If the system doesn't find the sudo command, it seems to be badly damaged. It may be better - to prevent future problems - to do a fresh install, in particular if you can backup the things you need easily.

grey1beard
January 7th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Is it possible I might be able to use a 10.04 live cd to get access, with a view to returning to 10.04 , checking out any folders I've overlooked, before trying a new install of 10.10 (now that I have a new power supply unit :) )

John

dino99
January 7th, 2012, 07:05 PM
following this example, you should go ahead with the installation: boot on a livecd first.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7929196&postcount=11

grey1beard
January 7th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Trying to boot from the live cd I have, and it takes a bit of encouragement, but in the end got to the choice screen.
Went for try live cd, just to see if this exposed the pre-installed folders, but after showing the ubuntu splash screen with the white to red dots thingy, it switched to a cli reading

BusyBox v1,13.3 etc.....
Enter 'help'.....
(initramfs) _

Dino99, thanks for that link. I've had a quick read through the whole thread as well, and can see the drift, but faced with the above problem.
If I went for a new install, do I get the possibility of a new partition, alongside the old(busted?) one, with possible access to it?

Clutching a straws here, but I'm good at that.

John

grey1beard
January 7th, 2012, 10:25 PM
Having problems with my old installion cds for 10.04, I've found a 10.10 (alternate) cd which has "Repair" choice on the first screen.
Unfortunately, that seems to have got stuck till I hit the Enter key a couple of times and it is now onwards and upwards.
I'll edit this post as things develop (or not).

Stopped at

Loading additional components 89%
Configuring partman-crypto-dm

Started a second time with acpi=off, and quiet splash deleted (I think), and it got passed the previous stop, and got to a choice of where to put various things.
I chose to accept each choice as offered, but have now got stuck again.
I'll restart, and take note of the choices, and ask for guidance.

John

grey1beard
January 7th, 2012, 10:42 PM
Should I have my wireless card switched off while I'm trying this ?

The Rescue mode fails at Autoconfiguration of Network

grey1beard
January 7th, 2012, 10:47 PM
Choices -

/dev/sda1
/dev/sda2
/dev/sda5
Do not use a root file system

Which to go for ?
I assume I should select the 1st.
Then it offers

Execute a shell in /dev/sda1
Execute a shell in the installer environment
Reinstall grub boot loader
Choose a different root file system
Reboot the system

so I choose the 1st again.
What then happens is the screen goes blue, with a bottom white stripe and a #symbol at the extreme left.
All is now stopped - no signs of life, except I've just discovered that I can type onto the bottom white line.
Now what ???

grey1beard
January 7th, 2012, 10:55 PM
It's a terminal type window, and accepts entries, but I've no idea what to do :(

grey1beard
January 7th, 2012, 11:44 PM
Found my way in to the file system, and confirmed that there is no important data to be rescued.
I can therefore abandon the attempt at recovery and will mark this as Solved.
Pity there are no alternatives.