PDA

View Full Version : I've lost my inner geek

Linux_junkie
January 6th, 2012, 01:36 PM
I am a 43 year old guy from the UK and have been fascinated with computers since the 1980's. I was interested in GNU/Linux from 2000 and back then I used to report bugs all the time and was proud of the thought of helping to further develop GNU/Linux and its many applications.

Over the past year or so I have found that I am not reporting bugs at all and that whenever I come across an application with bugs and does not work properly I tend to remove it from the computer and use another application.

What I appear to want now is a fully working system but don't want to spend time helping to make it better.

Whats happened to my inner geek?

keithpeter
January 6th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Perhaps life has just got busier?

Or is it time to focus in one area? e.g. sound applications (plenty of potential there!)

forrestcupp
January 6th, 2012, 01:44 PM
To most of the world, anyone who is simply a Linux user is an ultra-geek. ;)

Grenage
January 6th, 2012, 01:48 PM
I am a 43 year old guy from the UK and have been fascinated with computers since the 1980's. I was interested in GNU/Linux from 2000 and back then I used to report bugs all the time and was proud of the thought of helping to further develop GNU/Linux and its many applications.

Over the past year or so I have found that I am not reporting bugs at all and that whenever I come across an application with bugs and does not work properly I tend to remove it from the computer and use another application.

What I appear to want now is a fully working system but don't want to spend time helping to make it better.

Whats happened to my inner geek?

You've 'served your time', and your subconscious knows it. ;)

szymon_g
January 6th, 2012, 02:13 PM
same here.
although i'm younger, i feel the same
well- life is busy, at some point of it you just wanna use system/apps that "just works" without creating any other forms of ideology to it.

cap10Ibraim
January 6th, 2012, 04:38 PM
maybe it's time to search for a new thing that fascinate you ,
with age people change or maybe need to jump in some thing totally different as a break

Dragonbite
January 6th, 2012, 05:13 PM
HERETIC!

** RUN HIM OUT OF TOWN!!! **

:lolflag:

Hey, life and Linux is changing. Linux is becoming less of the "tweak or break" and more stable and full featured like the proprietary operating systems. And you're changing.

I'm in a similar boat (41 and started in 2003) but find myself wanting to tinker less and just have a working OS more (though I keep drifting back..) I found Ubuntu when I was deciding that I didn't have the time to tinker with Gentoo anymore (plus it pissed off my wife when on my way out the door to work I tell her "I broke something, but I'll fix it when I get home tonight")

KdotJ
January 6th, 2012, 05:48 PM
HERETIC!

** RUN HIM OUT OF TOWN!!! **

:lolflag:

Lol this is funny ^^

To the OP, I wouldn't worry. You should feel proud that you've helped at all. There are many people who use/have used Linux and have not contributed at all (not that that's bad either). Just enjoy it :D

pretty_whistle
January 6th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Interests can change over time, that's all it is. I've had that happen to me more than once. Take music for example. I used to love it and had quite a music collection. But now? I'm just not interested anymore and that seems amazing to me since I had spent 20 years loving music.

MG&TL
January 6th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Maybe your geek is migrating to some other place in geekland?

I tend to find myself on a 3 month-long cycle between high-level coding, low-level coding, bug reporting, and these forums.

HugoSerrano
January 6th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Well.. what can I say?

Thank you :-) for helping making our O.S. a better one!
And it's like ppl are saying. Life changes, priority changes. Get a break, you will back :-)

Regards!

Simian Man
January 6th, 2012, 08:15 PM

Yeah, it's a matter of perspective. Likewise I don't really think of reporting bugs as making you that geeky myself.

Linuxratty
January 7th, 2012, 12:19 AM

So true..And everyone's inner geek needs a vacation from the same old same old...Yours is taking one...I never report bugs unless a pop up window suggest i do.

ice60
January 7th, 2012, 02:33 AM
i feel the same way. i thought about installing arch or a bsd, but i'm not really interested, i ended up installing mint lol.

i just read more books and science stuff and watch documentaries instead of playing around with computers now.

mamamia88
January 7th, 2012, 02:59 AM
i feel the same way. i thought about installing arch or a bsd, but i'm not really interested, i ended up installing mint lol.

i just read more books and science stuff and watch documentaries instead of playing around with computers now.

Same spending more time reading and watching netflix nowadays. I used to always want to try arch and build my entire os from the ground up but I just don't have the time/desire anynmore.

dpny
January 7th, 2012, 03:13 AM
I've found that, as I get older, I want to spend less time making stuff work and more time finding stuff that just works.

Linuxratty
January 7th, 2012, 06:49 AM
I've found that, as I get older, I want to spend less time making stuff work and more time finding stuff that just works.

Yesssssss!:D

QIII
January 7th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Kinda like working on cars or having sex.

When you are young, you are really into it.

When the kids come along you do it when you can.

When the kids move out, you try to pick it up again but your heart just isn't in it and you'd rather just sit and watch the boob tube.

Then the grandkids come along and you are just an old fart, which, as we all know, is pretty creepy if you are also a geek.

sdowney717
January 7th, 2012, 02:50 PM
As you get older, everything changes, including the way you think about things. For me, I used to love ripping into old cars and engines, and now I would rather not bother, even though I know how to do most anything involving cars and motors. Maybe I became super saturated.