PDA

View Full Version : Standby + Charger

pr3zident
January 6th, 2012, 10:23 AM
I was wondering if you can leave your computer on the charger while its on standby and not have a burned out battery in the long run. is it still considered over charging if you leave it on standby and have the charger in ?

leviathan8
January 6th, 2012, 10:28 AM
I have done this for years with my laptop. I don't know if there are any risks, but nothing bad happened to me so far, but let's wait for other people's resolution too.

pr3zident
January 6th, 2012, 10:30 AM
I have done this for years with my laptop. I don't know if there are any risks, but nothing bad happened to me so far, but let's wait for other people's resolution too.

thanx for the reply, do your battery still have efficient battery life ?

leviathan8
January 6th, 2012, 11:24 AM
thanx for the reply, do your battery still have efficient battery life ?

It completely drains in about 2 hours, same as when I bought it, no difference at all. The laptop got exactly 1 year old in January 2012.

ssam
January 6th, 2012, 01:22 PM
laptop batteries have charge regulating circuits to prevent over charging.

pr3zident
January 6th, 2012, 05:17 PM

I never knew that ... I think if Yu leave it on though while its charging and its goes pass 100% for hours the battery gets real hot and doesn't last as long or doesn't last at all having to keep it on the charger the hole time .......

thatguruguy
January 6th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Who is Yu, and what does he have to do with this thread? Is he some kind of battery engineer, or something?

pr3zident
January 6th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Who is Yu, and what does he have to do with this thread? Is he some kind of battery engineer, or something?

Lol Yu is You shorter by a letter .... but I think if you leave your computer on the charger ***

mcduck
January 6th, 2012, 06:59 PM

On the other hand, high charge level and high temperature both decrease the lifetime of Li-Ion and Li-PO batteries. Both of which will happen if your laptop's battery is always connected to the laptop and the machine is always connected to the charger.

The approach battery manufacturers usually recommend for maximum battery life in the long run is to avoid keeping the battery connected if you aren't going to use the it for longer periods of time. Instead you should discharge it to around 40-60**% charge (low enough to avoid corrosion of the electrodes due to high charge, but high enough to prevent the battery from completely loosing charge even during long storage times), disconnect from the laptop and store in a cool place.

leviathan8: You'd have to abuse your battery really badly to get a significant decrease in lifetime in just one year. Things will be a lot different if you plan on using the battery for something like 4 years or longer...

pr3zident
January 6th, 2012, 07:09 PM
On the other hand, high charge level and high temperature both decrease the lifetime of Li-Ion and Li-PO batteries. Both of which will happen if your laptop's battery is always connected to the laptop and the machine is always connected to the charger.

The approach battery manufacturers usually recommend for maximum battery life in the long run is to avoid keeping the battery connected if you aren't going to use the it for longer periods of time. Instead you should discharge it to around 40-60**% charge (low enough to avoid corrosion of the electrodes due to high charge, but high enough to prevent the battery from completely loosing charge even during long storage times), disconnect from the laptop and store in a cool place.

leviathan8: You'd have to abuse your battery really badly to get a significant decrease in lifetime in just one year. Things will be a lot different if you plan on using the battery for something like 4 years or longer...

Even when the computer is on standby ?

mcduck
January 6th, 2012, 07:23 PM
Even when the computer is on standby ?

Yes, it's not related to if the computer is powered on or not, it's just a question of how high charge there is on the battery. (and if the battery is always connected and not actually used, it's of course always going to stay near the full charge)

For example it's quite common practice, in purposes where replacing the battery is very hard and battery lifetime should therefore be as long as possible, to use much higher battery capacity than what's needed and then just never charge the batteries fully. (unlike with old NiCD cells, LiPo cells actually get better lifetime if you charge them on shorter cycles and avoid fully charging or discharging them.

pr3zident
January 6th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Yes, it's not related to if the computer is powered on or not, it's just a question of how high charge there is on the battery. (and if the battery is always connected and not actually used, it's of course always going to stay near the full charge)

For example it's quite common practice, in purposes where replacing the battery is very hard and battery lifetime should therefore be as long as possible, to use much higher battery capacity than what's needed and then just never charge the batteries fully. (unlike with old NiCD cells, LiPo cells actually get better lifetime if you charge them on shorter cycles and avoid fully charging or discharging them.

Thanx for the great info