PDA

View Full Version : How hard are the exams for the CompTIA A+? What do you recommend to study ?

lisawinkler
January 6th, 2012, 08:30 AM
How hard are the exams for the CompTIA A+? What do you recommend to study ?
I am not taking it now, i think i will start a class soon, just want to know if it's worth it. I want suggestions from compTIA A+ security certification holder.

Ms. Daisy
January 6th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Are you talking about CompTIA A+ (http://certification.comptia.org/getCertified/certifications/a.aspx) or are you talking about CompTIA Security+ (http://certification.comptia.org/getCertified/certifications/security.aspx)

They're completely different certifications.

oldos2er
January 6th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Moved to Community Cafe.

mips
January 6th, 2012, 10:19 PM
How hard are the exams for the CompTIA A+?

Extremely easy. Most of my colleges and myself skipped the lectures and just wrote the exams, we all passed with over 80%. We just read through the course notes before the exam. We only did it because we had to.

In all honesty it's a waste of time. Rather do something more advanced.

marydecosta
January 9th, 2012, 12:13 PM
CompTIA A+ exams are basic exams for security and this exams can be easily passed as I have passed this using self test engine preparation materials. One of my friend suggested this to buy these questions and answers, I have got high grades and you should follow the course outline with this without following course outline it is not possible.
Best of luck

Ms. Daisy
January 9th, 2012, 02:37 PM
CompTIA A+ exams are basic exams for security ...:confused:
CompTIA A+ exams are basic exams for information technology. It briefly touches on a bit of security, but that does not make it a security exam. According to the A+ website:

[CompTIA A+] measures the necessary competencies of an entry-level IT professional [...and] tests for technical understanding of computer technology, networking and security, as well as the communication skills and professionalism now required of all entry-level IT professionals. [The other portion of the test is] focused on scenarios in which troubleshooting and tools must be applied to resolve problems.

Then you have the CompTIA Security+ exam. It is completely different. Again according to their own website:

CompTIA Security+ not only ensures that candidates will apply knowledge of security concepts, tools, and procedures to react to security incidents, it ensures that security personnel are anticipating security risks and guarding against them.

So one would study basic IT skills for an A+ exam. Then one would study IT security for the Security+ exam. Both marydecosta and lisawinkler seem to be fuzzy on the rather large difference.