PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ati radeon hd6850m drivers

xtune777
January 6th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Hi Everyone, I have been using ubuntu for a few years on and off now but this is the first time I post into the forums so please forgive me if I am not putting this in the right thread. I have bought myself a laptop last year ACer8950g with ati radeon hd6850m graphics card. This week I installed ubuntu 11.10 64bit and i was very happy with it until i downloaded and installed the latest catalyst drivers which broke my laptop. When restarting it works but after configuring dual screens and then restarting it just comes up with flashing blue,grey,black and blue colors. I realize that this is due to the ATI drivers and i have had lots of issue with ATI even when Windows 7 was running on this laptop. When installing the opensource fglrx drivers I get a picture that sits on the bottom right of the screen that says "AMD unsupported hardware" that is why i downloaded the propriatry hardware. I do not want to load the propriatry catalyst drivers if I do not have to but is there a way without making it too complicated that i can configure dual screens with an opensource driver...Sorry but i get a bit frustrated as soon as I have to start poking around in the Xorg file. Your help is much appreciated.:popcorn: