PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Wierd errors durring install

Chehorn
January 6th, 2012, 01:31 AM
If i miss any information i am sorry i have been trying to fix this all day and am still new to linux. I have a Dell Inspiron 800 with 128 megs of ram and a 800ghz processor with an ATI mobility m4. When i tried installing Ubuntu and xubuntu (stopped ubuntu and continued with xubuntu once i realized my specs were too low) however i got the same errors with both versions, both were 11.10. I would get a wierd graphic after the (x)Ubuntu loading dots, Ubuntu would have a purple screen with moving lines and Xubuntu a small square with black and white moving lines. So i dont know what im doing, so i tried using the nomodreset setting and removed the quite splash part and i get a long list of text telling me what its trying to do. Sorry bout not using correct jargon, dont realy know what im doing. In this text i see two error messages, the first: Failed to change mode of /etc/passwd- to 600, then the second is load fallback graphics devices [FAIL]. After these error messages i get a black screen and nothing changes. I tried Installing the Xubuntu 10.4 version as well however durring the install the computer freezes and if i do the same thing as above with removing the quite splash i get a never ending list of: Buffer I/o error on device sr0: then it alternates between sector and logical block errors of varying numbers. Im sorry for the giant wall of text, Im totaly confused as to what to do, any help would be much apreciated, thanx in advance, Che-

Chehorn
January 6th, 2012, 02:29 AM
Dont know if this changes anything, but with Xubuntu just recently after the attempted boot of the live disc, intead of hitting a wierd screen i got a black screen and hitting Fn+f7 (Change screen resolution, a problem i heard linux had with this ati card) i get a bunch of multicolored lines at the top of my screen...lol

Chehorn
January 6th, 2012, 02:04 PM
I solved the install, still getting wierd errors but its actualy installed. UJsed the alternitive install disk for xubuntu...