PDA

View Full Version : What do you like about Ubuntu?

ki4jgt
January 6th, 2012, 12:30 AM
We've all read threads on the annoyances of Ubuntu (Unity to be specific). I think it's caused a very negative air to cloud the Ubuntu name. When I first started Linux people were chanting only the good features. Now the population has taken time to realize that there are bad features too. In an attempt to be honest with the outside world, people usually just tend to point out the bad in something and assume that others can find the good for themselves. This in turn is an absence of honesty also. It points out the bad in something but forgets the essential benefits which fueled the idea in the first place. I've created this thread as a composition on what users enjoy about Ubuntu to balance out all the bad publicity lately.

This is a "I love this feature" thread, NOT a "I like this feature, but it could be made better. . ." thread. I think that if we focus on what is good in Ubuntu, we can give the devs ideas on what areas we enjoy (thus, if we enjoy them, they must warrant us needing them to be better) and things we don't mention much, the devs may drop if enough people don't mention it.

First some likes about Linux in general:

It's treated as an idea that ANYONE can modify.
Because anyone can modify it, security is top notch.
I love the idea of file ownership.

Features I've noticed over the time period of using Linux that I LOVE about Ubuntu:

Compiz (who doesn't love that one)
Using multiple timezones in the system clock and being able to switch between them with a simple click of the mouse
Vast array of languages
Ability to play nicely with other OSs
Category system in Unity
Thunderbird has been integrated
Being able to dock items in the sidebar
connecting to a server from the desktop.
inbuilt features such as shred and being able to copy (preserving file permissions)
Home folder encryption.

keithpeter
January 6th, 2012, 12:39 AM
This is a "I love this feature" thread, NOT a "I like this feature, but it could be made better. . ." thread.

OK, ki4jgt, I'll bite

Its the font rendering. I've never quite found another Linux distribution that can get the display of fonts on the screen as nice as Ubuntu seems to.

That will be a really important thing for any future devices that have smaller higher resolution screens.

jjex22
January 6th, 2012, 01:40 AM
When I saw this thread pop up I thought recurring... but then I read it and I agree with you - we should trumpet the good things about the distros we like. Then I had a problem... What did Ubuntu have that the other distros I use not? surely this can't be that hard! trouble is Linux is Linux - I was stumped, and started scrolling through my Unity dash... Then I saw it and it was obvious;

The software center - it is eaily my favourite GUI for package management hands down, and it's been leading the distros for ages. I suppose we also have Ubuntu one Which has always impressed me ... though I don't use it (actually I don't use the software centre either - I just use apt from the the terminal for all my package needs, but every time I've introduced Ubuntu people they've been really impressed... or they've said "like the app store?" but in a good way!

I gues really the thing I like the most that I actually use is....

Unity!

I've added it to Mint 12, and been using it for nearly a year now - as a total distro junkie (not one of my machines has less than 3 OS's on it apart from my tablet) It's a unique feature I really like - too many distro's just give you a new wallpaper and icons, I like that Ubuntu are being bold and it does feel modern to me, and I definitely prefer it to Mandriva's version (KDE based) that is SLOW!

Linuxratty
January 6th, 2012, 04:59 AM
For me,it's rock solid and dependable.I like it for the same reasons other people like it.
It has features I enjoy such as Synaptic,Compiz,etc. I'm so glad I have a choice in my OS,that's why I'm here.

BertN45
January 6th, 2012, 05:52 AM
Mostly price, boot time and the apps (Software Center).

vasa1
January 6th, 2012, 06:46 AM
Askubuntu.com. I don't know of another distro that has anything like it. A no-nonsense site.