PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] this is not a ISO image, it says

abelito8
January 5th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Hi there, I am unable to install anything on my Asus EEE (12')

I have created dozens of USB start-up, with different systems (ubuntu, mint, debian) and every time it does not read it

I have used usb-startup gtk and kde, as well as unetbootin

...anyone had a similar problem?

carl4926
January 5th, 2012, 09:42 AM
No
My Eeepc works fine

With Ubuntu I used Unetbootin

You should be hitting Esc at the BIOS screen to have it offer the boot device...Yes?

Togras
January 5th, 2012, 09:45 AM
you put your usb as first in boot options?
this works not fine with all sticks, in general i advise to use the additional boot menu you have to look which button you have to press your this then it should work...

abelito8
January 5th, 2012, 09:52 AM
yes, this is the message I get when I "force" the computer to boot from the USB instead of the hard disk. My bios comes with F2 (not Esc) and I exclude any other device but the USB

carl4926
January 5th, 2012, 10:04 AM
I have created dozens of USB start-up

Can you just confirm you are writing a .iso with unetbootin of the .iso you downloaded from
http://www.ubuntu.com/download

Try formatting the USB

Are you working from Linux or Windows

Does the Eeepc have a fast boot partition ?
Or did you like me wipe your HD

abelito8
January 5th, 2012, 10:08 AM
yes I was writing ISO images

from Linux

actually the only time it worked and I could install a Debian version the USB had been created from a Windows system (humiliating...)

otherwise it never worked (and I am actually surprised that it worked the first time...)

I still have ubuntu on it but I was trying to install another version on the free space because I was not happy with the way 11.10 was working on that computer

carl4926
January 5th, 2012, 01:26 PM
If you look at the file system of the USB you have written.
This is what I see:
http://paste.opensuse.org/64794991

Do you see the same?

abelito8
January 15th, 2012, 01:53 AM
This is what I see, not really the same

abelito8
January 15th, 2012, 01:56 AM
This is from a Linux Mint usb startup I created with no luck

carl4926
January 15th, 2012, 05:19 AM
I really can't say what the problem is. I have been using USB's to boot my eeepc for the past couple of months, ever since I got it.
I have tried just about everything on it. They all boot and install and work.
I have settled for Ubuntu 11.10 and openSUSE 11.4
Using Unity 2D in Ubuntu
Using Gnome 2 in SUSE with kernel 3.2 to improve wireless

I think you must be missing something.
What exactly happens when you get to the BIOS and select the USB device to boot?

What model eeepc is it?

abelito8
January 15th, 2012, 11:03 AM
I agree I must have something wrong, I am probably wrong but I think it's the BIOS

when I select boot from USB it gives me a black screen and says either error or the file is not a ISO image...

I have been creating USB start-ups since 2009 and this is the first time this error happens so persistently (and with so many distributions that I think the problem is in my pc)

Eee does not show anywhere the model, I just know it's a 12.1' screen