PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] gnome Applications Menu Sub menus don't stay open and mouse problems

quill3033
January 5th, 2012, 09:25 AM
One of the frustrating things with Gnome 3 Application Menu is that when I go to, for example,

Applications--> Sound and Video -->

I want the drop down sub menu to open and STAY OPEN so I can see what is available there to be opened but in Gnome 3 this is no possible - the list of applications in the sub menu only stay open for a fraction of a second and then close. This is driving me insane. Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere.

OK just worked out that I need to keep the left mouse button pressed the whole time I am looking at a sub menu to keep it open. Is there another way?

Also, why is it that just the mere hovering over an icon or folder file etc opens it WITHOUT the need to double click? Also driving me insane as all these programs and files are opening all over the place and going to mouse settings and delaying times etc doesn't seem to be working. OK this is two things but unless anybody objects I'll keep them in the one place.
Thank you all in advance for any assistance.

mcduck
January 5th, 2012, 09:28 AM
Try using another mouse. All those problems would be easily explained by a broken left mouse button...

quill3033
January 6th, 2012, 07:35 AM
I'm using a mousepad on the eee pc 1000.

I have configured a couple of 'user accounts' and when I log in as another user I don't have the same problem. Both the mouse behaves as I want it to and the hovering over things doesn't open them automatically. What happens in that case is that the mouse pointer goes red just before it opens the site or document, folder or application. Whereas when logged in as the other user, when the mouse pointer hovers over a link/app/file etc it turns into a **hand** instead of a red pointer. Mysterious... ?

I went to 'mouse and touchpad' settings and the only thing that seems to be different seems to be the speeds. I try to change those settings in the other user profile and see what happens.

It's frustrating, because I use gnome-do for the applications I most love but would like to be able to explore other applications via the menu. (Edubuntu has a lot of interesting stuff)

Oh, well, we'll see how we go with slowing everything down in the settings of the usual user I go in as.

mcduck
January 6th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Ok. if it works fine on another account, then it's of course not a broken mouse button... Check the Universal Access settings, and make sure you don't have "Hover Click" or "Simulated Second Click" enabled.

quill3033
January 12th, 2012, 03:40 PM
I gave up and got rid of oneiric and installed Lucid instead. Before that I tried installing Mate desktop and that was ok but it occurred to me that I kept trying to turn gnome 3 into gnome 2 and thought I may as well enjoy the last 15 months of gnome 2 and by then, gnome 3 will probably be much better than it is now.
I also kept getting "panic" crashes etc so I'm really relieved - it's exactly as a I want it.
Not sure whether to mark this solved...

Whoopie
March 17th, 2012, 10:35 PM
The issue with the applications menu is still present in Ubuntu 12.04. EDIT: Just found the bugreport (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gtk+3.0/+bug/949414)

I'm also looking for a solution how the sub-menus stay open on mouse hover.