PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] firefox 9.0.1 pop up blocker

DarinB
January 4th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Hi everybody,
I am using lucid and firefox 9.0.1 I removes all sites from my pop blocker attempting to get rid of what I later found out was microsoft ad sense. it kept on showing the watch I bought my wife and the price from world of watches NOT COOL.
but in the mean time now the pop up blocker blocks everything inclucding my bank...is there anyway to restore this to original. ???

Tamlynmac
January 4th, 2012, 09:58 PM
You didn't mention which popup blocker you installed or version (adblocker plus, etc.). I would uninstall or disable it in your (firefox/tools/add-ons) and see if that unblocks your sites.You could always reinstall it.

Without knowing which blocker it is, resetting it or defaulting to original settings is questionable. For example, adblocker plus allows you to uncheck a particular rule in the filter or even disable a particular filter.

Good Luck.

sammiev
January 4th, 2012, 10:12 PM
My guess is that he's using NoScript as Adblock Plus would never stop you from a bank site. With NoScript you need to let it know which sites are a loud and what is a loud.

Tamlynmac
January 5th, 2012, 02:03 AM
sammiev

You could be right and they need to white list the individual sites in NoScript. That's why I asked, but they identified the issue as being related to their popup blocker and didn't mention that they even had NoScript installed. Perhaps, they have both installed.

Guess we'll see. ;)

sammiev
January 5th, 2012, 02:26 AM
You could be right and they need to white list the individual sites in NoScript. That's why I asked, but they identified the issue as being related to their popup blocker and didn't mention that they even had NoScript installed. Perhaps, they have both installed.

Guess we'll see. ;)

Correct you are. I just never seen a popup blocker stop a person from going into online banking.

Miljet
January 5th, 2012, 04:09 AM
It appears to me that we are confusing popup blocker, which is a basic part of Firefox, to Adblock, which is a plugin. And the popup blocker will indeed prevent any site that depends on opening a new window from working.

Tamlynmac
January 5th, 2012, 04:51 AM
Miljet
And the popup blocker will indeed prevent any site that depends on opening a new window from working.

You could also be right, which would explain why the banking site is being blocked. Firefox's popup blocker is notorious for blocking bank site features.

I believe this can be corrected by adding them to the exceptions. Which might explain why they're being blocked now. The OP may have removed them from the exceptions (white list) thinking they were the blocked sites.

I removes all sites from my pop blocker attempting to get rid of what I later found out was microsoft ad sense.

Once again, I think we need to wait and see what the OP responds with.

DarinB
January 5th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Thank you so much for your responses...I did disable the pop blocker in preferences but the problem persisted. I also didn't know the ad blocker add on would override the native pop up blocker in firefox. i opened adblocker and changed the preference to allow all pop ups not listed...
I read that googlesyndication.com is good to have in the list of blocked places. so I decide to try this and keep adblocker. now it works.
thank you very much for your help.