PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Restarting to get on line

dowkeith
January 4th, 2012, 07:55 PM
This is a problem that has persisted for years -- probably since Hardy Heron. When I sign on, I can't go online (either through Firefox or to update on root) without doing a restart. I was wondering if this is because I had to change the boot order to going to the hard drive first in order to install Ubuntu from a disc. What can I do to fix this? Every time without fail I am signing on and then doing a restart in order to get online. My notebook computer is connected by an ethernet cable to a Webtell router. My service is high speed from Verizon. This problem does not exist with two other computers on this router.

Anstice
January 4th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Go to System > Administration > Additional Drivers and see if there are other drivers available for your ethernet card.

dowkeith
January 6th, 2012, 01:44 AM
Thanks for getting back to me. There were no drivers listed when I went to the menu you suggested. I redid the boot order, but that made no difference. I noted that during the first sign on a line came up several times saying something like "message killed, no connection." This doesn't happen on the restart. I can live with this as I have for a long time, but it is annoying.

sandyd
January 6th, 2012, 04:28 AM
This is a problem that has persisted for years -- probably since Hardy Heron. When I sign on, I can't go online (either through Firefox or to update on root) without doing a restart. I was wondering if this is because I had to change the boot order to going to the hard drive first in order to install Ubuntu from a disc. What can I do to fix this? Every time without fail I am signing on and then doing a restart in order to get online. My notebook computer is connected by an ethernet cable to a Webtell router. My service is high speed from Verizon. This problem does not exist with two other computers on this router.
Can you post the output of

sudo ifconfig

while you can't connect to the net?

jtarin
January 6th, 2012, 05:20 AM

sudo ifconfig

Sudo is not required with the "ifconfig" command.
Are you using network manager to connect?

dowkeith
January 7th, 2012, 03:20 AM
Thanks sandyd,

I will tell you what came up, but tonight I got online on the first try. It has become more random since I returned to the notebook's original boot order. I don't think I am using network manager to connect. I go through a router Verizon supplied with my high speed. I will post the results if I have trouble tomorrow.

dowkeith
January 9th, 2012, 01:01 AM

sudo ifconfig

Hi Sandy,

Sorry about the delay. I was in New York. Here is what the ifconfig command gave me,

duke@duke-laptop:~$ ifconfig
lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:12 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:12 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:720 (720.0 B) TX bytes:720 (720.0 B)

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:19:7e:75:d4:ff
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

dowkeith
January 14th, 2012, 02:19 AM
I'd like to thank everyone who offered suggestions on my restart problem.
I finally went to Geek Squad. It wasn't a linux problem. Everything worked fine in the store. I seem to have had an old router that was working fine with Windows machines but not with Linux. I bought a new Westell router and everything is fine as long as I use an Ethernet connection.

I went with Westell because the original Belkin router blew out my phones. My question is how I can make a wireless connection between my linux notebook and the Westel 7500. Linux asks for a user name and password. When I enter the ESSID and then the WEP key I get rejected. Is there something I have to do in linux to fix this?