PDA

View Full Version : Fear of Flying

KdotJ
January 4th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Hey all,

Later this year in the summer, my job is sending me to New York for a few weeks. Of course I'm looking forward to it and I've always wanted to go there. The problem is I have a fear of flying.. quite a big one. I don't have the conventional fear of the plane crashing and me dying etc, I just hate planes. I'm fairly claustrophobic as well so perhaps this is the main reason or my phobia.

Does anyone else here have a dear of flying? And what do you do overcome it?

Cheers!

snowpine
January 4th, 2012, 07:17 PM
I have a huge fear of flying! :(

The best thing that works for me is: Drugs (valium/ativan/etc).

KdotJ
January 4th, 2012, 07:19 PM
Maybe I'll try that lol.

The thing is, I've been on 16 flights in my life and still hate it. It's been about 3 years since the last time I was on a plane and I think that has made it worse. I know enough about planes and I know all the statistics and the safety blah blah, that doesn't bother me... but as with all phobias it's totally irrational...

mips
January 4th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Love flying. The only thing I can think of recommending to you is hypnotherapy.

Come to think of it there is actually a forum member on here from your neck of the woods that does just that. Only problem is I can't remember his name.

Edit: I just found his name and will PM you.

Simian Man
January 4th, 2012, 07:33 PM
I'm also quite claustrophobic and planes bothered me at first. My job requires me to fly a fair amount though, so I got over it with time. My advice is to hit a bar at the airport before your flight. A couple drinks and it'll be a lot easier. Another thing is, when you book your flight, try to choose a seat near the open area where the stewards keep the drinks etc. The feeling of being able to get up if you have to helps.

jjex22
January 5th, 2012, 12:53 AM
Hi there - the trip sounds awesome!

on topic - my previous missus was the same - she wouldn't go on a plane - no way, she also felt really traped in and the whole experience made her feel quite unwell, which obviously affected our travelling quite a bit, but we got the chance to spend 6 weeks in china in the build up to the olympics so she pretty much had to fly!

She went to the doctors hoping to get some "sleeping pills or something", obviously the doctor wouldn't medicate her into a coma for 13 hours, but did recommend using an over the counter aid such as nightol to get a good sleep the night before - aparently being well rested and alert (without the use of caffine) reduces the stress and makes you feel more comfortable.

I can't remember now if she took antything else - there was some travel medication I think, but also something she used a few times were these "accupuncture" sweatbands - basically sweat bands you put on your wrists that have small plastic buttons on the inside that press lightly on your writsts... can't see it'd work on me, but she said it made her feel much safer and less nauseus and swore by them! I think she got them from Boots

It's about 8 ish hours to JFK, so I gues taking some things you can get really imersed in on the flight are a good idea, not just one book that you may get tired of reading... things to take your mind off where you are? at the end of the day once your up, for the most part it's just being sat down for a long period of time!

Most of all enjoy your trip!

josephmills
January 5th, 2012, 01:00 AM
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRNAytP3_0O6MHc2FSf5gy8x_9FjZ1p8 W_oagAA36DlSncuuWxpvJ4GXehs

smellyman
January 5th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Will your company fly you Business Class? If so that would help immensley.

crazy bird
January 5th, 2012, 10:39 AM
There's nothing scary about flying. In fact, flying is the safest way of transportation due to all the regulations and safety rules. So, when you check in, take a seat in the middle (aisle) so that you avoid looking out the indow all the time. Taking drugs before the flight i won't recommend btw. Then when you're in the plane you will hear all kiind of noise. That's normal! That's really, really, really as normal as it can be!!! A plane doesn't fly in stealth-mode or in silent-mode. Sounds are normall. Compare it with driving your car, what do you hear when you're driving around in your car? Exactly!! When you're boarding the plane, you could mention it to a hostess that you have fear of flying, they can help you in any way to make it more comfortable for you. Believe me, flight hostesses have more than enough experience with people suffering from fear of flying and you're not the first person boarding a plan who's afraid of flying and you won't be the last person.

Before the fligth, try to relax: read a book, watch a movie, play some games on your laptop. lead your thoughts from the idea that you gonna fly. relaxing is the best way to get over it. And when you arrive at your destination and you experienced that nothing happend, what a relief would that be for you! And a hugh victory for you also!!

KdotJ
January 5th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Thanks for all the replies! Unfortunately my company won't send me business class. I've never been on a transatlantic flight (or long haul, my longest is 5 hours or so) so I've only ever travelled on normal sized planes (3x3 seats). Many people have told me that the big planes feel completely different, so hopefully that will help. I'll just have to deal with it lol.

Thanks again

crazy bird
January 5th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Many people have told me that the big planes feel completely different

I can tell you from first hand experience that there is trully a difference between flying in a small plan and a big plane.

Small planes fly like you're riding on the back of a horse (have been in a small plane when we were "hit" by turbulence, thank god that somebody invented safetybelts!!) whilst flying with a big plane is like riding in a luxury car Mercedes. Turbulence feels then more like a bump in the road.

Although you have small luxury planes, but still, with bad weather you will be wishing being on the ground.

Grenage
January 5th, 2012, 04:29 PM
I can tell you from first hand experience that there is trully a difference between flying in a small plan and a big plane.

Small planes fly like you're riding on the back of a horse (have been in a small plane when we were "hit" by turbulence, thank god that somebody invented safetybelts!!) whilst flying with a big plane is like riding in a luxury car Mercedes. Turbulence feels then more like a bump in the road.

Although you have small luxury planes, but still, with bad weather you will be wishing being on the ground.

Luxury? Only if you're going business or above! The plane moves less, but other than that it's just more people in a bigger area. I prefer the small planes - more glide potential. ;)

whiskeylover
January 5th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Just have a couple shots of whiskey before you take off. And they give you free booze throughout the trip on international flights... provided you don't fly on the cheap American ones. You should be fine.

ice60
January 5th, 2012, 08:21 PM
i don't like flying and i can tell you there's no difference between a big plane and a small one if you don't like flying.

i'm a big believer in taking medicine, but i don't really like to advocate it because none of my friends and family think the same way, so i could be wrong lol. but, i've got valium twice from doctors and the only way to get it is from a private doctor.

don't mix alcohol and valium, i did that once and made a bit of a monkey of myself :0

Fear Dragon
January 5th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Check out www.dragonsofthinair.com (http://www.dragonsofthinair.com) for list of Fear of Flying courses, resources, forums, books etc., and info about a VERY unusual book on the topic. And no, I don't believe booze is the answer!

Frogs Hair
January 5th, 2012, 08:56 PM
The slight feelings weightless in a small plain bothered me for a few minutes , but a roller coaster is much more uncomfortable the first time .

I have traveled to Australia which is around 9800 + miles one way with stops . That experience pretty much removed any reservations I had about flying even with the night time thunder storm somewhere over the pacific .

Quadunit404
January 5th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Thanks for all the replies! Unfortunately my company won't send me business class. I've never been on a transatlantic flight (or long haul, my longest is 5 hours or so) so I've only ever travelled on normal sized planes (3x3 seats). Many people have told me that the big planes feel completely different, so hopefully that will help. I'll just have to deal with it lol.

Thanks again

If this Boeing 757-200 (http://www.airliners.net/photo/American-Airlines/Boeing-757-223/2039717/L/&sid=d70c74e37367ac471e9f54d18079deed) can make it trans-Atlantic, then there is no doubt that whatever your company puts you on can make it TATL (trans-Atlantic) too.

Just think about everything that ISN'T related to crashing, try to distract yourself with something else (e.g. a laptop if you have one) and relax. That's my advice towards this :wink:

NJC
January 5th, 2012, 09:51 PM
I also do not like flying ... recently flew a few hrs on a 50 seat Dash 8 turboprop. They are noisy and tight inside, and probably a larger plane with more room would not exacerbate your feelings of claustrophobia. The biggest problem I have is being "locked" in that box with no escape, so I try to look away when the door is closing.

And also have been taking .25mg "Zanax" prior which is helping. If alcohol does not work for you, talk to your doc about one of the benzos ("Zanax", Ativan et al). And as others noted, DON'T MIX alcohol and benzodiazepines.

KdotJ
January 5th, 2012, 09:56 PM
...recently flew a few hrs on a 50 seat Dash 8 turboprop

I took one of these to France a few years back. Every bump and breeze of wind could be felt lol. So I'm grateful for anything bigger than this lol.

Thanks again for all the help and input guys, I'll have a look at some books too...

user1397
January 6th, 2012, 12:19 AM
Well I never had a fear of flying, but I did have a fear of heights and things like roller coasters for a long time until very recently. I told myself I would never skydive simply because it's insane, stupid, dangerous, and scary as hell.

Well, once the chance came for me to actually do it (skydive) I thought to myself, "hell, if I don't try this now, I'll never overcome my fear" So I just decided to go for it, and I gotta tell you, the scariest part was the flight, not the jump :)

Funny thing is about a month later I tried my roller coasters for the first time, and my first two were Montu and Sheikra at the Busch Gardens in Tampa, Florida (pretty decent coasters hehe). Did it for the same reason, overcoming a fear I've always had.

Let me tell you, it felt real good to overcome it all (I now have no problem with roller coasters or skydiving hehe)

So basically my message is, if you have a phobia, try to muster up the courage to overcome it. I understand if the phobia is too great sometimes it is seemingly impossible to overcome (I have another phobia which I won't discuss here, but it is one of the most challenging aspects of my personal life which I would like to overcome but still haven't).

In your case at least, it doesn't seem too bad because you've already flown a few times, so your best bet is to say to yourself, "hey, I've already done this before, so I know what it's like"

good luck

doorknob60
January 6th, 2012, 01:57 AM
I also do not like flying ... recently flew a few hrs on a 50 seat Dash 8 turboprop. They are noisy and tight inside, and probably a larger plane with more room would not exacerbate your feelings of claustrophobia. The biggest problem I have is being "locked" in that box with no escape, so I try to look away when the door is closing.

I've enjoyed the few times I've been on those, but I love flying so that's different I guess :P (were you on Alaska/Horizon?)

All I can say is just think of it as a bus or train or something, because it's really not all that much different than that (except flying is better in my opinion, but not everyone's of course). It's just a big metal object to transport people between cities, just the way they do it is a little (well, a lot) different, but you don't need to pay attention to that, because most of the time flights are a lot more smooth than a bus or something. Just read, watch a movie, listen to music, sleep, etc. Distract yourself. Or what I do, just look out the window the whole time, but maybe not the best idea if you don't like to fly.

Basher101
January 6th, 2012, 02:07 AM
i love flying in planes, but i do not have the luxury of money to travel much that way...my last flight was about two years ago..

the only advise i can give you is, whenever i am travelling uncomfortable, i just try to sleep through it all..

mamamia88
January 6th, 2012, 05:31 AM
I've never had a fear of flying but here is my suggestion have a few beers before the flight load up your mp3 player with classical music and try and just fall asleep.

lisati
January 6th, 2012, 05:53 AM
+1 to the suggestion of finding something positive to think about.

I've been flying several times and done the parachuting thing too. Neither really "cured" my fear of heights (more of a general uneasiness than full blown phobia) but the knowledge that they are survivable was of some help.

There is no shame in seeking advice and assistance from a suitably qualified professional if you are worried.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
January 6th, 2012, 06:16 AM
I'm kind of afraid of flying too. I just don't like it when I'm not in control of things. It's the same reason I don't like it when my wife drives. Well maybe it's a little more than that, but I've been able to fly every time I've had to.

The bigger issue is that I get terribly sick during takeoff and landing. I get sick to my stomach and really have to work to keep it all in. Once the plain reaches a decent altitude I'm fine.

kurt18947
January 6th, 2012, 08:48 AM
I'm kind of afraid of flying too. I just don't like it when I'm not in control of things. It's the same reason I don't like it when my wife drives. Well maybe it's a little more than that, but I've been able to fly every time I've had to.

The bigger issue is that I get terribly sick during takeoff and landing. I get sick to my stomach and really have to work to keep it all in. Once the plain reaches a decent altitude I'm fine.

The lack of control is significant for many people I suspect, plus many sounds and sensations that we don't experience frequently and don't understand. G forces in the Z axis is not something most of us experience in our daily lives.