PDA

View Full Version : in SQL, what does WHERE 1=2 mean?

anon0
January 4th, 2012, 06:48 PM
SELECT *
INTO my_new_table
FROM my_old_table
WHERE 1=2

I think this copies the old table to the new one. It looks like 1 means the new table and 2 means the old table, but what is the format of this syntax, how does 1 get assigned the meaning of my_new_table?

squenson
January 4th, 2012, 06:52 PM
The WHERE clause filters the records and only considers those for which the WHERE clause is true. As 1=2 is always false, no records are copied. The usual syntax is WHERE table1.fieldx = table2.fieldy.

CoffeeRain
January 4th, 2012, 09:17 PM
Yes. With the statement--
SELECT password FROM table1 WHERE user='myusername'The password of the user 'myusername' is returned. Password could be changed to '*' which returns all.:)

anon0
January 6th, 2012, 02:18 AM
The WHERE clause filters the records and only considers those for which the WHERE clause is true. As 1=2 is always false, no records are copied. The usual syntax is WHERE table1.fieldx = table2.fieldy.

Thanks. I didn't read the information carefully, it actually stated "copy the structure of the table without copying data. ...This code copies the structure of table my_old_table and creates a new table called my_new_table with identical structure."