PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to back out an "upgrade"

fpittel
January 4th, 2012, 04:17 AM
It looks like I've gone and done it. :sad: I upgraded my Dell m1530 laptop from Ubuntu 9.* to 11.10 and I want to go back. Is there anyway to back out the upgrade? If I have to deal with this idiotic window manager any longer I'm going to have a screaming fit.

Megaptera
January 4th, 2012, 06:30 AM
I don't think you can undo upgrades. I think you'll have to backup all your important docs, pics, tunes etc and re-install the version you do want.
The LTS 10.04 has the traditional Gnome desktop.

Mark Phelps
January 4th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Megaptera is correct ... there is no roll-back feature to restore your PC back to an earlier Ubuntu version. You have to reinstall from scratch.

In future, you might want to consider using Clonezilla to image your current Ubuntu install off to an external drive. That will only take a few minutes, and if you do have problems with the new version, it will then only take a few minutes to restore the older version.

fpittel
January 4th, 2012, 04:41 PM
I think I found a better solution then rolling back the upgrade. I simply reinstalled gnome and selected that while logging in. It's not exactly what I was used to but close enough. :-)

MARP1961
January 4th, 2012, 05:13 PM
You have a couple of other options to try if you really think you can't get used to the Unity Desktop:

Install Gnome Shell (arguably more attractive than Unity but with more customisation possible) from the Software Centre.

Install Xubuntu Desktop (or just XFCE if you don't want the Xubuntu branding).

Install KDE desktop if you want a more Windows-like experience.

fpittel
January 4th, 2012, 07:00 PM
You have a couple of other options to try if you really think you can't get used to the Unity Desktop:

Install Gnome Shell (arguably more attractive than Unity but with more customisation possible) from the Software Centre.

Install Xubuntu Desktop (or just XFCE if you don't want the Xubuntu branding).

Install KDE desktop if you want a more Windows-like experience.

I've tried KDE in the past and didn't care for it. Honestly I got used to the Gnome desktop that Ubuntu used to have and it wasn't that bad. Gives easy access to apps and xterms without getting in the way. There was no way I was going to be able live with unity!

MARP1961
January 6th, 2012, 12:47 AM
Give Xubuntu or XFCE desktop a go. It can be configured to look almost the same as Gnome 2. Similarly Lubuntu desktop (particularly on older, slower computers).