PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Reinstalling Ubuntu

Shinjuurou
January 4th, 2012, 03:10 AM
Well i have a flash drive with the install ready so if i just run it from that install it over my existing Ubuntu will all be OK? I don't want to partion my disk at all because im afraid of it messing up my windows partion. any thoughts? thanks!

cortman
January 4th, 2012, 03:14 AM
Everything on your existing Ubuntu installation will be lost, so be sure you've backed up anything worth saving.
When you are selecting partitioning options in the installation process, select "Replace current Ubuntu system" - that may not be exactly how it's worded, but that's the idea. Do that and you should be ok.

Mark Phelps
January 4th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Don't recall any option in the Installer to replace the current system, or anything like that ...

I believe that you have to select the "something else" option and then CAREFULLY designate the partitions to hold the Ubuntu install.

If you're really worried about losing or damaging your Windows setup, then download the FREE Edition of Macrium Reflect and use it to image your Windows setup off to an external drive. That will allow you to restore it in just a few minutes -- if it becomes necessary.

MARP1961
January 4th, 2012, 05:00 PM
The installer will give you options according to what you already have on your hard drive. Just read the options carefully and don't allow any change to your Windows NTFS partition. The NTFS partition that Windows is installed on must be kept and not formatted.