PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] 11.10 find kernel

sirkeith
January 3rd, 2012, 11:23 PM
Just did an upgrade to 11.10. I was running 11.04 on kernel 3.1.0-999 which does not work properly with 11.10. Bad monitor settings and non consistent mouse. I had 3.0.14 in the grub list and am using it and it is awesome. But synaptic does not list the 3.1.0-999 kernel as installed and neither does the ubuntu software program. I need the proper package name to purge that kernel from my system but I can not find it. I find references in the boot folder but not the complete and proper package name and I seem to need that to get rid of it.

Anybody able to help me?

thanks, keith

fantab
January 4th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Just did an upgrade to 11.10. I was running 11.04 on kernel 3.1.0-999 which does not work properly with 11.10. Bad monitor settings and non consistent mouse. I had 3.0.14 in the grub list and am using it and it is awesome. But synaptic does not list the 3.1.0-999 kernel as installed and neither does the ubuntu software program. I need the proper package name to purge that kernel from my system but I can not find it. I find references in the boot folder but not the complete and proper package name and I seem to need that to get rid of it.

Run the following command from the Terminal:

uname -rThis will list the kernel currently in use.

dpkg -l linux-* | awk '/^ii/{ print $2}' | grep -v -e `uname -r | cut -f1,2 -d"-"` | grep -e [0-9] | xargs sudo apt-get --dry-run removeThis should list any extra kernels you may be having on your Ubuntu. To remove those unwanted kernels use the command below.

dpkg -l linux-* | awk '/^ii/{ print $2}' | grep -v -e `uname -r | cut -f1,2 -d"-"` | grep -e [0-9] | xargs sudo apt-get -y purge

sirkeith
January 4th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Run the following command from the Terminal:

uname -rThis will list the kernel currently in use.

dpkg -l linux-* | awk '/^ii/{ print $2}' | grep -v -e `uname -r | cut -f1,2 -d"-"` | grep -e [0-9] | xargs sudo apt-get --dry-run removeThis should list any extra kernels you may be having on your Ubuntu. To remove those unwanted kernels use the command below.

dpkg -l linux-* | awk '/^ii/{ print $2}' | grep -v -e `uname -r | cut -f1,2 -d"-"` | grep -e [0-9] | xargs sudo apt-get -y purge

Fantab thanks for this. What synaptic was showing me was right. Those kernels that Grub is listing are not there other than in reference I guess. Boot has vmlinuz-3.1.0-999-generic so grub lists it and will boot but it doesn't work correctly.