PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Linux that just works

nickelbox
January 3rd, 2012, 02:29 PM
I am new to Linux but am very interested in learning more

I have a friend who has a PC that's about 5-7 years old. He is running Windows XP and I the last time I visited him, he complained his PC was running slow again. I did a complete reinstall about a year ago and that seemed to help but now it's back to how it was before. As XP is nearing the end of it's life, I have been contemplating moving him over to Linux but have a couple concerns.

Firstly, I need something that just works out of the box with a very user friendly GUI. He's the type that knows just enough to get around and not much more. I can see him getting frustrated quickly and then not using Linux altogether. I don't want this to happen.

Secondly, I need things to update seamlessly. For example Firefox, Java, etc. The reason for this again, is for simplicity sake and because I am 2 hours away and can't always be running to his house to help him out.

I don't believe system requirements would be an issue.

Suggestions?

Thanks all

cortman
January 3rd, 2012, 02:35 PM
Xubuntu. It's lightweight so it will run very fast, intuitive interface, very easy to customize, and comes with some great software.
I like Gnome shell myself and that's what I use on my production machine, but I'm more and more impressed with XFCE and Xubuntu, the more I experiment with them.

Lars Noodén
January 3rd, 2012, 02:37 PM
You can try downloading the live CDs for Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu/Lubuntu and see which one you like best. They are all the same system (Ubuntu) but with different pre-defined defaults. Then when you've made your choice, you can use the same disc for installation.

N00b-un-2
January 3rd, 2012, 02:41 PM
5-7 years old should still be plenty recent enough to have enough power to run most modern distros.

As far as a user friendly system goes, I would highly recommend Linux Mint for beginners. As I've explained to many people before, Linux Mint is like Ubuntu with training wheels, virtually everything just works without the need to understand why and how things must be installed or configured.
If his computer can't handle Gnome3 or Unity, You may want to look at Linux Mint XFCE edition or go with Linux Mint 11 and use Gnome2. I currently use Xubuntu 11.10 and my RAM usage usually sits around 250mb, so it can easily run on a system with 512mb RAM. Obviously there are other factors to consider.

http://www.linuxmint.com/oldreleases.php

lechien73
January 3rd, 2012, 02:41 PM
Hi and welcome to the forums,

I suppose before giving an opinion, I'd need to have an idea of what your friend uses his machine for? Does he do a lot of downloading of programs from the Internet?

I've moved a few of my friends over to Linux with varying success. Some take to it instantly, and love the speed, flexibility, and security. Others whine incessantly about how it's not the same as Windows, and end up moving back.

There is, as I'm sure you've noticed, a bit of a learning curve to Linux. I do think, though, that despite the mauling that 11.10 and Unity has got - it is very good for new users. The software centre makes installing new programs easy - and visually appealing, and the basic Internet and Office applications are fine. Other than that, Mint has an attractive GUI and is good for newer users.

nickelbox
January 3rd, 2012, 02:42 PM
I hate to say this but which distro is most like Windows as far as the GUI? I believe that he'll be more apt to be accepting if it's most familiar with what he already knows

I would say he does 90% of his activities within his browser. He doesn't dig into his computer, just uses it to get online and such

lechien73
January 3rd, 2012, 02:48 PM
There are several tutorials online about making Mint look like Windows, using the Emerald Theme Manager. I do usually caution against this, though. A key lesson for any new Linux user to learn is that Linux isn't Windows.

Maybe Ubuntu's Mac-style window control buttons on the left hand side might be a bit too much of a change, so try a Live CD of Mint and play with that. You might be able to get a balanced look and feel that you think he'd be happy with :)

nickelbox
January 3rd, 2012, 03:12 PM
This is the problem I have run into - multiple possible solutions. I have been to more Linux distro sites than I can count and haven't settled on any one.

I have liked Ubuntu but it seems the overall Linux community doesn't care for the Unity interface. Is this because it isn't as configurable as it once was (pre Unity)?

KdotJ
January 3rd, 2012, 03:27 PM
Another thing to consider, is your friend going to be able to adapt to the repository idea? One issue I've found is that people are too used to downloading an exe from the internet and double clicking it...

Lars Noodén
January 3rd, 2012, 03:34 PM
I hate to say this but which distro is most like Windows as far as the GUI?

Sunwah Linux (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunwah_Linux) looks almost exactly like Windows XP. It comes preinstalled on some hardware like Fuloongs. It's hard to find material in English, though, even if the system is in English.

(Edit: Found the download page for Sunwah Linux Rays:
http://www.sw-linux.com/en/scripts/main/catitem.php?catid=sw_download&showid=download)

If you want to stay with Ubuntu, then Xubuntu which uses XFCE will be the most familiar and easiest to adjust to. It's attracting a lot of users now due to Unity. Unity's rather good unless you actually want or need to customize it. There it is far behind KDE, XFCE, LXDE or anything else.

AgentZ86
January 3rd, 2012, 04:24 PM
Ubuntu will work out of the box

Just about all linux distros do that now especially on older PC's

If you post his type of printer / scanner and any other hardware he is using that may be helpful too

Also if you setup to dual boot to Linux and/or Windows then he can take his pick and learn his way around the OS

If most of what he does is on his browser then Linux will be simple enough

I'm running Ubuntu 11.10 on some older Pentium 4 machines in the warehouse, and only 768MB of ram with onboard intel video which uses some of this ram.

It's not lightning speed but works well and easy to use for anyone in the warehouse

Hope this helps

cbowman57
January 3rd, 2012, 04:29 PM
Check out Zorin (http://zorin-os.com/), I think it comes with a Win 7 type of theme.

nickelbox
January 3rd, 2012, 04:30 PM
If you post his type of printer / scanner and any other hardware he is using that may be helpful too

I know he has an HP Computer and Scanner. I don't recall which model scanner but it's an all-in-one type

nickelbox
January 3rd, 2012, 04:40 PM
Another thing to consider, is your friend going to be able to adapt to the repository idea? One issue I've found is that people are too used to downloading an exe from the internet and double clicking it...

It'll be me that handles that. He is a "gas 'n go" type on the computer. Doesn't care how it works, only that it works

N00b-un-2
January 3rd, 2012, 04:42 PM
A word of caution when "distro-hopping" or "distro-shopping". Do not stray far from the big 3 -- Ubuntu, Fedora and OpenSUSE. I'm not saying that other distros don't have plenty to offer, but these three distros are well supported and have large community support such as these forums, and they are easy enough to use for a beginner or expert alike.

If someone is looking for something to be similar to Windows in terms of function I would recommend using Gnome2. Unity/Gnome shell are drastic departures from the traditional desktop so certainly not a good choice for a new convert to Linux. KDE is good and out of the box looks and feels like an updated Windows Aero theme, but KDE is not particularly well suited to lower spec machines.

Seriously, just give Mint 11 a try.

MG&TL
January 3rd, 2012, 04:49 PM
Mint/Ubuntu is probably fine. Fedora might be OK, too.

If he/she wants the "Windows look" then I recommend LXDE or KDE, the 'button' is in the right place, you can pin stuff to the taskbar, etc.

Unless you have >2GB RAM, though I wouldn't recommend KDE, it's very heavy. LXDE is very light.

Mint KDE, Kubuntu = KDE,
Mint LXDE, Lubuntu = LXDE

Lars Noodén
January 3rd, 2012, 04:51 PM
A word of caution when "distro-hopping" or "distro-shopping". Do not stray far from the big 3 -- Ubuntu, Fedora and OpenSUSE.

I'd refine that further and just say Fedora or Ubuntu or distros built on them. OpenSuse is more than on the decline. Also, it got sold to Novell which got sold to Attachmate which is doing deals with MS.

There are plenty of good distros built on Fedora or Ubuntu.

Zill
January 3rd, 2012, 04:58 PM
I hate to say this but which distro is most like Windows as far as the GUI? I believe that he'll be more apt to be accepting if it's most familiar with what he already knows...
To be honest, I suggest your user just upgrades to a later version of Windows.

Linux is not Windows (http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm) and does have a learning curve. If a user is prepared to learn how to use a new system then the rewards are well worth while. However, if they wants to stay with a familar system then, perhaps, they would be happier staying with Windows.

Lars Noodén
January 3rd, 2012, 05:02 PM
However, if they wants to stay with a familar system then, perhaps, they would be happier staying with Windows.

Except that after Window XP, the familiarity goes away. There will be less of a learning curve going to Xubuntu than to Vista or Vista7. Linux tends to stay out of the way more, so there will also be increased productivity very quickly.

As before, I'd still recommend downloading the live CDs for Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu/Lubuntu and see which one you like best. If you use a CD-RW then there is no waste of the disc for the versions you decide not to keep.

grahammechanical
January 3rd, 2012, 05:05 PM
You do not say if you are using Linux yourself. Perhaps you see Linux as solving some issues that your friend has with his computer. A cheap way of upgrading the OS perhaps?

A lot of people in Linux like to mess around with their systems. That is one reason why they do not like Unity. Ubuntu is moving away or perhaps moving towards a User Interface that is simple to use and limits messing around with. Users like your friend have less opportunity to break the system.

I suggest that if you do install Linux you set up two user accounts. Yourself as administrator and your friend as standard user (it can be set up so that he does not even need a password to log in).

Another reason people have turned against Unity is that Ubuntu is very popular and it is supported by a commercial company. In other words - jealousy.

Unity seems, to me, as just right for your friend. He will have acess to all his programs in the Launcher - one click away. The Dash can be used as a search engine to find files/documents. It is very food at finding documents from a partial document name. And he will have utilities in System Settings to do a limited modification of his working environment.

You can set things up so that security updates are automatically downloaded and installed. And although your friend will get notification of other updates at a maximum of two weeks he does not have to install them. He can leave that to when you visit or you can train him.

Regards.

nickelbox
January 3rd, 2012, 05:46 PM
You do not say if you are using Linux yourself. Perhaps you see Linux as solving some issues that your friend has with his computer. A cheap way of upgrading the OS perhaps?

I suggest that if you do install Linux you set up two user accounts. Yourself as administrator and your friend as standard user (it can be set up so that he does not even need a password to log in).

I do not use Linux actively yet. I have a laptop that is sitting around that I wiped and I plan on downloading the distro I settle on to that and learning it thoroughly before I go installing it on my friend's.

I do see Linux as a way of extending the life of my friend's current PC. Windows slows so much over time and I know he won't spend the money to upgrade from XP to any other version of Windows. I was looking into the LTS of Ubuntu coming out in April. He is a creature of habit (as evidenced by using XP for the last 5-7 years and not having any inclination to upgrade whatsoever) so I can install that on his current PC and then not worry about upgrading or losing support for the next 5 years.

Is there a "guest" type of login available? Right now he has his login which is Admin and then a guest account which restricted and available in case someone stops over and needs to get online for something quick

yugnip
January 3rd, 2012, 05:46 PM
Your friend may like Pinguy OS (http://pinguyos.com/). It is based on Ubuntu 11.04 (Gnome 2) or 11.10 (Gnome Shell). And as much as Ubuntu is out-of-the-box ready, Pinguy OS is even moreso. It includes all codecs as well as a plethora of applications preinstalled and configured for use right way. 11.10 even comes with Teamviewer installed, so you can help your bud from afar.

Take a look, it may be something worth trying for him.

nickelbox
January 3rd, 2012, 05:52 PM
Your friend may like Pinguy OS (http://pinguyos.com/). It is based on Ubuntu 11.04 (Gnome 2) or 11.10 (Gnome Shell). And as much as Ubuntu is out-of-the-box ready, Pinguy OS is even moreso. It includes all codecs as well as a plethora of applications preinstalled and configured for use right way. 11.10 even comes with Teamviewer installed, so you can help your bud from afar.

Take a look, it may be something worth trying for him.

Interesting as I do use teamviewer now whenever he has a minor issue. I'll take a look at it.
Thanks

BBQdave
January 3rd, 2012, 06:50 PM
I was looking into the LTS of Ubuntu coming out in April. He is a creature of habit (as evidenced by using XP for the last 5-7 years and not having any inclination to upgrade whatsoever) so I can install that on his current PC and then not worry about upgrading or losing support for the next 5 years.

I would suggest Xubuntu 12.4 LTS :)

Xubuntu is a friendly GNU/Linux distro to explore and learn, and will be kind to the resources of your friend's hardware. And as you said, the upcoming LTS is a good choice for long term reliable use.

I am running Debian 6 (the core of Ubuntu) on an old notebook pushing a decade of use. So yes, you can get a lot of mileage out of a GNU/Linus distro :D

chipbuster
January 3rd, 2012, 07:05 PM
If you use an Xfce desktop and do about 10 minutes of futzing around, you can end up with a very Windows-like environment. Just remember that no matter how hard you try, Linux will never be the same as XP, so it might be a good idea to impress that from the start.

And besides, using the panel bar in the top isn't that hard to get used to--I hated it at first, but a week later, I'm finding that I'm having trouble when I use Windows.

Here's what it look like in the "Windows" layout:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/827/screenshot0103201210024.png/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/827/screenshot0103201210024.png/

mastablasta
January 3rd, 2012, 07:46 PM
I do not use Linux actively yet. I have a laptop that is sitting around that I wiped and I plan on downloading the distro I settle on to that and learning it thoroughly before I go installing it on my friend's.

but you do understand there are some issues that might pop up. such as not all windows programmes work in linux and also some programmes that do work do not have such good support.

I do see Linux as a way of extending the life of my friend's current PC. Windows slows so much over time and I know he won't spend the money to upgrade from XP to any other version of Windows. I was looking into the LTS of Ubuntu coming out in April. He is a creature of habit (as evidenced by using XP for the last 5-7 years and not having any inclination to upgrade whatsoever) so I can install that on his current PC and then not worry about upgrading or losing support for the next 5 years.

not a bad idea if everything works. best thing (as others said) is to give it a try with all varinats of Ubuntu. see what fits most fo rhim. Unity/Gnome are ment to show low customisaiton as to not confuse the users. KDE is very windows like interface (especialyl if you right click on K menu and select classic style). There is a low-fat package now available for it that reduces the sytems resources usage. XFCE (Xubuntu) is like old Gnome, nicely organised, light on resources... But if you plan to run Gnome or qtBased programmes it might not be so light. Anyway you can easilly make it look like winXP :-)
LXDE (found in Lubuntu) is at developing stage, but it came far. and sitll has some way to go. However it will offer very light and full desktop. The look here is similar to windows. just try them seem why you like and what he likes. and be prepared to face issues you might not even thing about right now.

Anyway Mint (ubuntu based) is really good for beginners. Might be a bit heavier on resources, but it is really easy to install and very user friendly.

Is there a "guest" type of login available? Right now he has his login which is Admin and then a guest account which restricted and available in case someone stops over and needs to get online for something quick
yes, there is.

You can make linux what you want it to be. it can power computer, smathphone, router, tv box or a wasching maschine.