PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Software center problem

arockiyaselva
January 3rd, 2012, 09:31 AM
I have Ubuntu 10.10. My software center works fine until i change the permission of /usr. Now when i tried to install something using software-center, the authendication window shaked and closed immediately.How can i fix that problem?

mcduck
January 3rd, 2012, 06:56 PM
Change the permission of /usr back to what it's supposed to be. And if you changed the permissions recursively (all contents instead of just /usr itself) try to trace back the correct permissions for each file.

Changing ownership or permissions of system directories is a pretty sure way to break your system. The ownerships and permissions are what they are for good reasons and you really shouldn't mess with them unless you are absolutely sure it's required and you know what you are doing.

arockiyaselva
January 8th, 2012, 06:28 PM
Yes. You are absolutely correct, but I dont know the default permission value for /usr. Does anyone knows that?

arockiyaselva
January 8th, 2012, 06:29 PM
Where i can found that(default permission values)???

bluexrider
January 8th, 2012, 06:42 PM
You could probably get started by or in which most of the applications or directories right underneath /usr are all owned by root and are rwxr-xr-x for thier permissions except the /usr/bin and /usr/sbin directories which are owned by root and group owned by bin, with the same permissions.
Any links within /usr are usually rwxrwxrwx and owned by root.

That should get you started and it should mostly be the same throughout, etc.

bluexrider
January 8th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Where i can found that(default permission values)???

ls -al /usr

this will show the permissions and the files listed in /usr