PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Quick Upgrade Question

Desert Sailor
January 2nd, 2012, 11:05 PM
I am currently running on 11.04, all is working as intended and I am VERY satisfied with my system. I have downloaded the ISO for both the 32-bit and the 64-bit versions. When trying to do a new install with either one of those CD's the install hangs trying to configure USB ports. (known bug and probably related to my SM flash card reader which is plugged into a USB port on the mother board).

Question is: If I now select the version Upgrade from the Update Manager, will I get the original version as released in October of 2011, or will I get the new version with the bug fix?

howefield
January 2nd, 2012, 11:08 PM
You will get the latest packages.

Desert Sailor
January 2nd, 2012, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the quick response. I prefer to do a clean install, but since that didn't work for me, I may go for the update this time.

howefield
January 2nd, 2012, 11:29 PM
If it were me, I'd back up important data, then image the drive with Clonezilla, just as insurance ;-)

Desert Sailor
January 3rd, 2012, 05:04 AM
Thanks for the tip. I keep my /home directory on a separate drive, so I would only be cloning my 11.04 install. That shouldn't take too long, it's only about 3 or 4 gig.

bluexrider
January 3rd, 2012, 05:19 AM
If it were me, I'd back up important data, then image the drive with Clonezilla, just as insurance ;-)
+1 on the backup and nice to see you have /home living somewhere else