PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help needed

subehsharma
January 2nd, 2012, 03:00 PM
I installed NVIDIA graphic driver in "Additional hardware" but it brought more delay to my system. I removed the driver from the same dialogue box and restarted my system and not Unity is not loading. All i get is a black window.

Unity 2d though works fine. ANything i could do other than installing NVIDIA restricted drivers through command line again?

3Miro
January 2nd, 2012, 03:34 PM
You cannot have Unity 3D working without the proprietary Nvidia driver from "Additional Drivers". If you can access Unity 2D, then you can go to "Additional Drivers" from there and install the driver.

What exactly was the delay of your system that you are talking about. Without the driver, you were using Unity 2D, with the driver you were using Unity 3D. If your video card is too weak, then even with the Nvidia drivers, things may be slow for Unity 3D.

subehsharma
January 2nd, 2012, 03:40 PM
When you do a fresh-install then there is no NVIDIA drivers installed by default and then also Unity-3d works fine. You later get an option of installing the proprietary graphical driver through "Additional Drivers" pop-up. My point is that Unity-3d works perfectly fine without the proprietary NVIDIA driver and that's where i want to go back to.

subehsharma
January 2nd, 2012, 03:41 PM
And by delay i mean, folder dragging is not smooth anymore, application launch time increased and firefox scrolling no longer remained smooth..I frankly didnt see even 1% improvement after installing NVIDIA driver.

subehsharma
January 3rd, 2012, 08:35 AM
Bump..