PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] compaq mini 110 no internet!

thegutterpoet
January 2nd, 2012, 10:34 AM
Having installed by USB the 32 bit latest ubuntu, my housemate's laptop wont use his wireless adaptor. Also connecting directly to the modem by ethernet leads nowhere.

I assume that if he could connect to the internet, ubuntu would find the required drivers, but as he can't...what now?
Please help!

ottosykora
January 2nd, 2012, 11:16 AM
I have the same computer too and had never any problems with connecting to internet, neither wired nor wireless.

In fact during the installation, the connection should have been set up.

Are you able to run some sort of live system, either from a CD in an external drive or booting from some USB stick etc?
What media did you install it from?
What version of ubuntu?
Suitable drivers are definitely included on the installation iso of ubuntu.

If possible try also some other distro, even something like partedmagic.com or similar, just to see if it is some hardware problem.

thegutterpoet
January 2nd, 2012, 11:41 AM
There is an option to enable wireless, but nothing shows up on the list of available connections. I will try to input the connection name and password...but have little hope presently. I doubt its a hardware issue as it was working fine with Windows before the HD died yesterday, and the orange light is ON for the wireless on the laptop, it just never turns blue...also, its the latest 32 bit version of ubuntu. I chose that version as I wasn't sure if he had 64 or 32 bit system.

ottosykora
January 2nd, 2012, 12:12 PM
it is all 32bit

but when you take some distro, boot from a usb stick or external CD drive, and use the wired connection, you will get internet definitely, unless there is a hardware problem.

In the 110, you also need to move the switch for the wireless to make it blue.

also in the network manager, you need to activate (tick the box) for wireless connection and also network connection as such.

thegutterpoet
January 2nd, 2012, 01:24 PM
when in network...my wireless option is described as 'firmware missing'...is this the problem////??if so, how can it be remedied? or...simply 'unavailable'

ottosykora
January 2nd, 2012, 04:47 PM
1. establish wired connection

2.start take care of wireless

little bit of confused I admit, as missing firmware would be for the built in mobile phone device rather then the normal wlan module.

To use the mobile phone module in the 110, you need other software to be installed and firmware to be loaded, but this works only sometimes and is not reliable at all. Don't bother about it.

Just get online with wired connection, run update and all should be OK.

the 110 works with ubuntu wired and wireless out of the box, but if during the istallation for some reason no internet connection was made, then some things can be missing. Therefore proceed with the wired connection first!