PDA

View Full Version : Some help with unity desktop?

Saubazi
January 2nd, 2012, 10:14 AM
I am trying to use this but from time to time I still miss the old desktop.
I have couple of points that limit the usability.
-Active applications? If I start for example couple of file managers or terminals, they appear on the bar and on the left side of the icon there are couple of white arrows showing that more than one of these is open. Fine-but switching between them seems to work only with Alt+TAB? Is there no way to click it with mouse - in old one there was the taskbar below the desktop and it was easy.

-Simple thing like making a desktop shortcut? Is the only way to "create a launcher" it does not seem possible to right click on laucher icon and select the option?

3rdalbum
January 2nd, 2012, 10:26 AM
1. Click the icon twice to show all the program's open windows.

2. It can be done, but I can't walk you through it as I am not in front of my computer now. It hasn't been implemented in Unity yet which is why it is more involved.

hatalar205
January 2nd, 2012, 10:26 AM
I am trying to use this but from time to time I still miss the old desktop.

So do I. So I installed Gnome-shell and switched to Gnome Classic. I get my bottom panel back. :)

Saubazi
January 2nd, 2012, 12:02 PM
Yes, I just think that since it is not even an integral part of the installation anymore it will vanish in course of time so one might as well move on.

The double click does not seem to do the trick - at least not in all cases. If I have for example three terminals open, I minimize one or two then it brings up the one not minimized or something else - I would expect something like hold pressed and it will show a list of open windows for that application but no...or maybe it could be in the right click menu but also no. So far there is no avoiding alt-tab... :(

thatguruguy
January 2nd, 2012, 01:21 PM
What does any of this have to do with Mythbuntu?

coffeecat
January 2nd, 2012, 01:35 PM
What does any of this have to do with Mythbuntu?

Indeed. Thread moved to Desktop Environments.

If I have for example three terminals open, I minimize one or two then it brings up the one not minimized or something else - I would expect something like hold pressed and it will show a list of open windows for that application but no

In 11.10 - open 3 terminals and minimise all. Now click on the launcher icon and all three will be restored to the desktop. Click on the one you want to focus. Minimise 2 or 1. Now click on the launcher icon and all three will be displayed in miniature on the desktop. Click on the one you want and it will appear on the desktop focussed.

Saubazi
January 2nd, 2012, 02:27 PM
Sorry about the wrong forum, did not check before posting.

Anyway that one with the miniature on the desktop - somehow I don't get it?
Left click? You don't mean the workspace switcher? With laucher icon you mean the terminal symbol that appears on the dash bar once the application is running?

coffeecat
January 2nd, 2012, 05:28 PM
You don't mean the workspace switcher?

No.

With laucher icon you mean the terminal symbol that appears on the dash bar once the application is running?

Yes.

Are you running 11.04 or 11.10?

Saubazi
January 3rd, 2012, 08:10 AM
I am running oneiric. Now you mean that they will appear in miniature on the desktop? Could this be some compiz feature that I have not activated or unintentionally disabled?

coffeecat
January 3rd, 2012, 11:08 AM
Miniature depends on the size of your monitor. On my 23" screen the reduced size terminals are not that much smaller than a normal sized terminal. With three instances of firefox, they are much smaller than my normal unmaximised firefox.

Interesting question about compiz. I don't think so.

By the way, my question about 11.10 or 11.04 was because I wasn't sure whether the behaviour in 11.04 was the same. I've since checked and 11.04 does behave the same, not that that matters since you are using 11.10.

Just to clarify. The behaviour is slightly different if you are running all instances of terminal (or any app) minimised or if you have one still unminimised.

All running windows minimised: click once on the launcher icon - all windows restored to their previous positions. Click on the launcher icon again and they are arranged in miniature around the desktop so that you can click on the one you want focussed.

One or more windows minimised, with one or more not minimised: click once on the launcher icon and all running instances are arranged in miniature around the desktop. Click on the one you want focussed.

Saubazi
January 4th, 2012, 08:46 PM
The first one happens, but the second part with the second click does not.
Same with the partly minized and so on. I get no miniature windows. I have updated from 11.04 (could be that I actually started with 10.04 LTS actually) so could it be that something did not get upgraded or rather integrated?

Saubazi
January 8th, 2012, 06:40 PM
I just noticed that in my second machine where I have directly installed oneiric (not updated from previous releases) it works as described. Now the very good question is how do I fix it on my laptop???

Saubazi
January 16th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Is there a way to do a "soft" reinstall or something like that from software - I assume that my update was not 100% succesful or can I do it only from disc?