PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Installing Ubuntu via netboot

trakof
January 2nd, 2012, 09:07 AM
Hi, I'm trying to install Ubuntu over my network from a windows machine. It's an old laptop that currently has a broken install of FreeBSD on it and refuses to boot from the cd drive and can't boot from USB. I tried following some tutorials but they all seem to be outdated. Does anyone know of a step by step guide for doing this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

edit: I managed to get it to find the files over the network and the installer runs but when choosing a mirror to download from it only gives me the option us.archive.ubuntu.com and I cannot change it. That mirror gives me a "bad archive mirror" error.

edit2: Solved (sort of?) After trying about 50 mirrors I tried the check network components option for the 5th or so time, except it decided to do something different than the first 4. After entering my ip,subnet yadayada all seems to be working well.

dandnsmith
January 2nd, 2012, 12:26 PM
I think you'll need to put more detail of what you're trying to do, what PCs are involved, how they are connected, where you got the installer files from, and so forth.
At the moment, there are some oddities in the first paragraph which I don't understand, and your subsequent edited notes are just compounding the problem (eg what is the scope of the network)

Sorry

edit: glad to see you resolved the issue and posted it while I was typing