PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't Install Ubuntu 11.10

mbuller10
January 2nd, 2012, 06:08 AM
I have tried using both a CD and a USB and both the official file from the website and a torrent. But every time I tried to install, after it shows the purple ubuntu loading screen, the screen goes haywire with like different colored squares and then freezes. It doesn't do that with my 10.04 disk. Can someone explain or offer advice.

linuxpyro
January 2nd, 2012, 06:59 AM
You might want to give the Alternative Install CD a try. That should let you do a text-based install, which may work for you if the CD is just having a problem with your graphics hardware. Even if you succeed in installing but can't get the desktop up, it may give more information on your problem.

mbuller10
January 2nd, 2012, 08:32 PM
thats the last straw i'm done with linux

LinuxFan999
January 2nd, 2012, 11:56 PM
If you really want to go back to Windows, that's OK, but remember that there are other distros like Debian and Fedora

yugnip
January 3rd, 2012, 01:05 AM
Are you using a capital letter or number to start your user name? I believe the installer will fail if so. Same problem with encrypting the home folder.

mbuller10
January 3rd, 2012, 05:04 AM
Are you using a capital letter or number to start your user name? I believe the installer will fail if so. Same problem with encrypting the home folder.

I can't even get to that part, right after the loading screen is when it fails

Silas1989
January 3rd, 2012, 12:41 PM
perhaps you could try to install a previous version of ubuntu and then upgrade to the recent version?? Worked for me :)

Elfy
January 3rd, 2012, 01:01 PM
try booting the livecd - hit any key when the man and human show, then F6 try one of the bootoptions - maybe nomodeset.