PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Downgrade from 12.04 alpha to 11.10

maddyui
January 1st, 2012, 09:51 PM
Hello,

I am a big fan of ubuntu OS and has been using it for a long time for my commercial and personal use.

Recently, my update manager showed me the release of ubuntu 12.04
I did upgrade. But after up-gradation I am facing a lot of issues such as:
1. My Mobile Dongle has stopped detecting so I am unable to use my internet.
2. System is very slow.
3. Wine is giving a lil trouble.

I kindly request you to tell me how I can downgrade back to version 11.10

With Regards
Mohit Madan

sammiev
January 1st, 2012, 10:05 PM
There is no downgrading. You would need to do a fresh install.

Mark Phelps
January 1st, 2012, 10:48 PM
Hello,

I am a big fan of ubuntu OS and has been using it for a long time for my commercial and personal use.

Then, you should do the following (to prevent this problem in the future):
1) Change your Update Manager settings to NOT show pre-release versions. Basically, any "long time" user should know better than to upgrade to an early Alpha version of anything. Guess you did not. At least this change will prevent such future problems.
2) Understand that, unlike with MS Windows, there is no simple "roll-back" capability between OS versions. Once you upgrade, you're basically stuck with the new version. In future, you can prevent this problem by using Clonezilla to image off your current (i.e., WORKING) version to an external drive, and if the upgrade causes serious problems, you can restore the old version in a few minutes.

drtusharks
February 3rd, 2012, 06:00 PM
sorry to barge in on the thread
but I am having a similar problem of accidentally installing 12.04 upgrade. Fresh install means I will have to just install Ubuntu from my USB (as I did before) or remove 12.04 and then install 11.10??

uRock
February 3rd, 2012, 06:09 PM
You can install the previous version of ubuntu. If you do not select to format the partition, then data and settings should be preserved, but data, such as pictures and documents. should be backed up prior to reinstalling.

drtusharks
February 3rd, 2012, 06:30 PM
just to be sure where will be the option of formatting partition come up?

uRock
February 3rd, 2012, 06:56 PM
During the manual partitioning part of the install.

drtusharks
February 3rd, 2012, 07:30 PM
During the manual partitioning part of the install.
Ok thanks man will try