PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 11.04 Updates Question

Creddeus
January 1st, 2012, 05:22 PM
Hey. I just had a quick question. I'm fairly new to Ubuntu so I had an experienced friend set it up for me. I really like the way it looks and runs, especially since I don't have the greatest computer in the world...

See, the problem I'm having is that I want to install some of the newer updates but I don't really know what each one does. I don't want to install the GUIs and such that make it look like a Mac because it's kind of unnecessary and I don't want all the stupid little programs that slow down the system like the ones that came standard on Windows.

I don't know enough of how Ubuntu works as of yet to search through each update and choose the ones I want so I was wondering... If I install all the Important and recommended updates, will it effect the "Ubuntu Classic (no effects)" option that I get at the log-in screen? Because if not it would be significantly easier for me to just switch back to Ubuntu Classic after I install the updates.

Many thanks in advance.

yugnip
January 1st, 2012, 06:17 PM
Updates are just that, an 'update' of what you already have installed. You won't pull down anything you don't already have using Update Manager, unless you have changed repositories (you haven't). So feel free to update, as it won't harm your setup.

Creddeus
January 1st, 2012, 11:40 PM
Alright. I tried it. It's not too bad but it did slow it down about thirty seconds or so on startup.

I know that updates aren't generally a problem. I just don't have the doe to buy a better computer so the littlest things effect it.

wildmanne39
January 2nd, 2012, 01:55 AM
Hi, you should not have problem with any update slowing down your system unless it is malfunctioning.

So it is safe to install all updates, as long as you do not have developmental updates checked to be installed.
Thanks