PDA

View Full Version : Flash, 32/64bit

Carterclan
December 31st, 2011, 03:16 PM
Is there a difference in Flash between 32/64bit Ubuntu?

I have 64bit 11.10 installed and the flash performance especially in flash based games is not that great.

It doesn't worry me too much as I don't play them but it winds up my wife.

Question is, is the 32 bit version any better. I don't mind doing a fresh install if it is but don't want to waste my time if it is not.

3Miro
December 31st, 2011, 03:20 PM
Flash under Windows sux. Flash under Linux double sux. 64-bit flash used to be very bad, but recently Adobe has improved it to the point where 32-bit and 64-bit are about the same.

For increased flash performance, you can try to use Unity 2D or Gnome-classic (fallback mode). When you use windows manager without effects, things usually go smoother.

crazy bird
December 31st, 2011, 03:39 PM
Also install this: http://www.webgapps.org/add-ons/flash-aid/download-firefox. It's add-on for Firefox which allows you to install the correct Flash-player for your system and removes any conflicting versions.

Carterclan
December 31st, 2011, 03:50 PM
Also install this: http://www.webgapps.org/add-ons/flash-aid/download-firefox. It's add-on for Firefox which allows you to install the correct Flash-player for your system and removes any conflicting versions.

I used to use this but I thought since 11.10 that the 64bit version was handled in the repos and was kept up to date with the up-date manager?

3Miro
December 31st, 2011, 03:56 PM
I used to use this but I thought since 11.10 that the 64bit version was handled in the repos and was kept up to date with the up-date manager?

+1 for the Update Manager. That is the one that I am using.

lovinglinux
December 31st, 2011, 04:29 PM

Yes, it is. To get the 64bit from the repos, enable the Partner repository in Software Sources, then in the installation options of Flash-Aid, select "Adobe stable, from repositories (64bit)" It will install the 64bit from the partner repository instead of the Beta version downloaded from Adobe. You might want to turn off alerts in Flash-Aid preferences, otherwise it will warn you when new Beta versions are available.

Frogs Hair
December 31st, 2011, 04:37 PM
I haven't had problems with flash in any Ubuntu release so far , but I can't consider myself a heavy user . I have never noticed a difference in performance between 32 bit with the wrapper and 64 bit .

I have gone to Flash aid as my preferred method of installation . Security updates are my concern with flash and I'm not picky about how I get them .

vpharry
December 31st, 2011, 08:17 PM
I think we should not worry about flash too much because its dying and html5 will be the next big thing..

crazy bird
December 31st, 2011, 08:44 PM
I think we should not worry about flash too much because its dying and html5 will be the next big thing..

True! But as long we are still using Adobe Flash, we cannot ignore the problems and issues caused by Flash or linked to Flash whether it is dying or not. As long Flash is used, we must provide support and solutions.

Carterclan
December 31st, 2011, 09:43 PM
true! But as long we are still using adobe flash, we cannot ignore the problems and issues caused by flash or linked to flash whether it is dying or not. As long flash is used, we must provide support and solutions.

+1

LowSky
December 31st, 2011, 10:52 PM
i actually can't reccomend flash-aid anymore. No matter what options i turn off or on, it screws flash. Now I just run flash right form adobe's website. grab the tar and extract the file right to my /.mozilla/plug-ins/ folder.

Works better than any other method i have used.

lovinglinux
December 31st, 2011, 11:25 PM
i actually can't reccomend flash-aid anymore. No matter what options i turn off or on, it screws flash. Now I just run flash right form adobe's website. grab the tar and extract the file right to my /.mozilla/plug-ins/ folder.

Works better than any other method i have used.

Are you downloading the Beta version from Adobe or the stable version? Because most likely that the problem is caused by recent beta versions of flash than Flash-Aid. Have you tried the stable version option? Are you on 64bit or 32bit? Are you using the latest version of Flash-Aid?

If you turn off all tweaking options in Flash-Aid, then is the same as you download from Adobe. The only difference is that it saves the downloaded file in the system folders and removes conflicting plugins.

Please generate a Flash-Aid report from the help menu so I can take a look at it and troubleshoot.

BrokenKingpin
January 3rd, 2012, 10:28 PM
Flash performance is not that great with 32-bit or 64-bit. I am glad a lot of websites are starting to move towards HTML5 video... I seriously hate Flash.

wolfen69
January 3rd, 2012, 11:31 PM
I'm just curious why flash works good for some people, but not others. I personally have never had a problem with it, on any of my many computers over the years.