PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Screen saver turns the backlight off

1/0
December 31st, 2011, 02:59 PM
I installed Oneiric (default AMD64) on a new laptop. One of the issues I get is that the screen saver blanks the screen and will not resume. I can see that something is displayed on the screen but the backlight is off. If I press any key nothing happens unless I close and reopen the lid...

Anyone know how to solve this?

Hybrid graphics card Nvida/Intel on my ASUS U31JG laptop (http://www.linlap.com/wiki/asus+u31jg).

2F4U
December 31st, 2011, 04:59 PM
I guess it is not just the screen saver kicking in but your computer goes into suspend mode. I have the same problem on a MacBook running Xubuntu. Disabling the screen saver didn't change anything for me, so I guess it is some hardware power management thing built into my machine, which I can't change. I got somehow used to it since it wakes up very fast from suspend and this doesn't cause any issues such as screen artefacts.

1/0
January 1st, 2012, 02:25 PM
I guess it is not just the screen saver kicking in but your computer goes into suspend mode. I have the same problem on a MacBook running Xubuntu. Disabling the screen saver didn't change anything for me, so I guess it is some hardware power management thing built into my machine, which I can't change. I got somehow used to it since it wakes up very fast from suspend and this doesn't cause any issues such as screen artefacts.

That could be but I can see some of the desktop if i look at the screen with a lamp. So I'm unsure if it's suspended (plus I've set the laptop not to suspend).

The only relevant info in the Xorg.0.log seems to be:

[ 11489.243] (II) PM Event received: Capability Changed
[ 11489.243] I830PMEvent: Capability change

I don't understand why the lid solves the problem. Somehow that triggers something more than keystrokes or the touch pad.

1/0
January 5th, 2012, 11:00 PM
Bump

1/0
January 12th, 2012, 09:56 AM
When mplayer is on everything works as it should.

1/0
January 25th, 2012, 05:44 PM
A few times recently, nothing except hard reboot has been able to start the screen. When I say that I mean not even dropping out to shell via ctrl + alt + f1 and then logging in end typing sudo reboot etc or ctrl + shift + alt + sysrq + r,e,s,i,u,b. Nothing. It's as if the keyboard and mouse is shut down.

I'm thinking it's time to file a bug unless anyone has some suggestions. Any suggestions on relevant info for a bug?