PDA

View Full Version : I have some questions about Intel CPU and AMD CPU also IE 8

nec207
December 31st, 2011, 06:28 AM
I have some questions here.

1.Why does AMD have so many more CPU generation than intel ?

not really a questions but I hear intel is bringing out ivy bridge soon and going to be the fastest CPU out there.

2.Sandy Bridge is the architecture of the CPU and the supported chipset on the motherboard but did have some problems but how do we know ivy bridge will not have the same problem.

3.Why does IE some times stop working and the only way to fix this is to restart the computer?

I have IE 8 and running windows vista .

Also some web sities and message boards do not work well with IE 8 for some reason and I have to click on capability mode to get it to work.

wolfen69
December 31st, 2011, 06:38 AM
There's always going to be something faster and "better". Install what you like and go with it. :P

chenr1
December 31st, 2011, 06:44 AM
answer 3= I highly suggest that you use a diffrent browser. Anything but IE the very first thing i do when i get a new computer is install chrome.. but firefox and opera works well too.I like my own browser i made in visual studio more than IE.

whatthefunk
December 31st, 2011, 06:46 AM
Agreed with the above. IE is the worst browser out there for several reasons. Switch to anything else.

chong601
December 31st, 2011, 06:51 AM
I am just 16 but maybe this can help you....

not really a questions but I hear intel is bringing out ivy bridge soon and going to be the fastest CPU out there.
I'm not very good on processor but maybe because they have more budget to make new generation of processors??? And another one, even if Intel says Ivy Bridge will be the fastest processor in the world, AMD will ALWAYS make processor way faster than Intel because Intel lacks something that AMD have like example chipset integration. AMD had used chipset integration about 2 years before Intel used it on Core processors (except its graphic card...). I couldn't help you to determine which processor you like but its up the user itself whether Intel or AMD is faster.

2.Sandy Bridge is the architecture of the CPU and the supported chipset on the motherboard but did have some problems but how do we know ivy bridge will not have the same problem.
There is no other way to determine whether Ivy Bridge have problem like Sandy Bridge unless you tried it as soon it is released

3.Why does IE some times stop working and the only way to fix this is to restart the computer?

Also some web sities and message boards do not work well with IE 8 for some reason and I have to click on capability mode to gt it to work.
Remember this word, IE 8 is _NEVER_ designed to work correctly like their rival Firefox, Safari and of course, Chrome. They are build just to work, not for security and not mentioning, compatibility (because IE lacks some features that you can find in the latest version of Firefox 8). If IE can do better than the others, people don't bother to change their browsers and stick to IE!!!

Windows Vista, in other word, may be failed project. But, if it is used by someone that can handle Windows correctly (like extra tweaking it or recompiling or whatsoever) Vista is actually more stable than Windows 7 (I had make Vista load faster than Windows 7 by 4 seconds). And of course, do not tweak Vista too hard or it falls in front of you...

3Miro
December 31st, 2011, 03:38 PM

What do you mean by "more generations". Intel has first and second generation of iX processors and AMD has Phenom II and Bulldozer. The few Athlon II are quite old.

Yes, this is true. Ivy Bridge will probably be the fastest CPU on the market. Also, most expensive.

Sandy Bridge problems were with the graphics only. If you are using a dedicated Nvidia or ATI card, then you don't have to worry about anything. If you want to use integrated Intel graphics, then Ivy Bridge may cause issues.

I have IE 8 and running windows vista.

Also some web sities and message boards do not work well with IE 8 for some reason and I have to click on capability mode to get it to work.

I do not use IE and I suggest for other people to not use it either. Get Firefox, Chrome or Opera.

szymon_g
December 31st, 2011, 04:01 PM
Sandy Bridge problems were with the graphics only. If you are using a dedicated Nvidia or ATI card, then you don't have to worry about anything. If you want to use integrated Intel graphics, then Ivy Bridge may cause issues.

somebody forgot about chipset, right? do you know what "B3" in most mobos stands for :)?

I do not use IE and I suggest for other people to not use it either. Get Firefox, Chrome or Opera.

i'd suggest upgrading IE to the newest version possible- and after that- it's quite usable (although i still prefer firefox)

grahammechanical
December 31st, 2011, 05:29 PM
AMD does not make clones of Intel CPUs and several years ago the architecture of AMD CPUs differed from Intel CPUs in such a way that CPU speed became an inaccurate measure of comparison. To put it another way, AMD CPUs were doing more work than Intel CPUs even though running at slower speeds.

The situation changed both for AMD and Intel when an experiment combining two Pentium M CPUs (which were meant for laptops) produced a CPU that did more work than the then fastest Intel CPU for less speed and therefore less energy and therefore less heat. And multi-core CPUs became the way to go.

Which, by the way, is why we can now get laptops that are just as powerful as a desktop machine.

As for question 3, this I would say is the reason,

Can your machine cope with IE 8?

Regards.

stalkingwolf
December 31st, 2011, 06:25 PM
there is a reason why IE is lovingly refered to as internet exploder.

nec207
January 12th, 2012, 09:59 PM
Intel make it very hard not like AMD .

If I understand the Xeon, Celeron, i3, i5, i7 is the family / brand .

The CPU models are things like W3680, E3-1275, i5-2500, i7 3960X

So when one lookd up info on the internet one types in the family / brand and models to find out information on the CPU.

The Westmere, Nehalem, Core, Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge is the type of architecture use and tells the features of the CPU and chipsets.

But AMD seem different !!!

They have what I think is called a CPU version and model number.

I believe they have what is called CPU version like Athlon ,Duron , Athlon XP , sempron ,Athlon 64 ,opteron ,turion ,Athlon 64 X2 ,Athlon FX ,,turion 64X2 ,phenom x2 ,phenom x3 ,phenom x4 , phenom x6 ,,phenom FX ,phenom 2 x2 ,phenom 2 x3 ,phenom 2 x4 , phenom 2 x6 ,Athlon 2 x2 ,,Athlon 2 x3 ,Athlon 2 x4 so on.

One goes on the internet and type in the CPU version and model number. For some reason they like to have alot of version and give lots of information in the version , where intel has family / brand , but what people to go by the models like W3680, E3-1275, i5-2500, i7 3960X not the family / brand and is more confusing.

Mot sure why intel makes it so much more confusing.When one goes to store to buy intel CPU you will have to understand the model out there like ( W3680, E3-1275, i5-2500, i7 3960X ) or have to google it to find out info about it , but when one goes to store to get AMD CPU you can tell more less by the version what you are getting and is bit more straightforward .

No idea what is CPU generation and what that has to do with this topic.

doorknob60
January 13th, 2012, 01:36 AM
The X2 and X4 and stuff just means how many cores, so that's all that means. A lot of the ones you listed are old and replaced now (like Athlon, Athlon XP, Athlon 64 are all replaced with Athlon II, etc. You get the idea.). In your list of Intel, you only listed some current ones, not like Pentium, Pentium 2, Pentium 3, Pentium 4, Pentium Dual Core, Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad, and many more. Intel probably has more models of CPu than AMD.

And yes, the AMD models are more straightforward and easier to understand than Intel, in my opinion.

leclerc65
January 13th, 2012, 01:36 AM
there is a reason why IE is lovingly refered to as internet exploder.
...or Firefox downloader ?:)

nec207
February 3rd, 2012, 04:37 AM
And yes, the AMD models are more straightforward and easier to understand than Intel, in my opinion.

The Xeon, Celeron, i3, i5, i7 is the family / brand but you cannot tell if it is 2 core , 3 core or 4 core so on.

In the past Intel used the Pentium ,Pentium 2 , Pentium 3 , Pentium 4 than could not use Pentium 5 do to tradmark gone to the Pentium D series before they introduced of the core 2 in 2006 the core 2 series that came in single-core ,Duo (dual-core), Quad (quad-core), and Extreme.

And now for the past 2 years intel is using the i3 , i5 ,i7 and Core i7 Extreme Edition.

The first of the i'series was base on Nehalem now Sandy Bridge and soon to be ivy bridge.

In reality this is almost 3 generation !!! Intel could have just called the first one i3,i5 ,i7 and the second one i8 ,i9 and i10 and the one base on ivy bridge the i11 ,i12 , i13.

Intel does not like people going by the family/brand but by the model number . AMD probably does not like people going by the family/brand too , but do to they do it different they have alot of family/brand that come out every year where intel does it every 3 or 4 years.

So for the user it is bit easyer with AMD .