PDA

View Full Version : build or repair PC?

Matrix01
December 31st, 2011, 05:51 AM
have u gotten parts and build custom computer?

73ckn797
December 31st, 2011, 05:54 AM
Been doing it since 1993 on desktop units. Never had problems with the hardware used in my experience except when using Windows and changing from Win98 to Millennium. XP was a flawless upgrade. Ubuntu has been so much better at the hardware changes for me.

SLEEPER_V
December 31st, 2011, 06:59 AM

You can do either. I've used lubuntu to revitalize a 1.33ghz single core laptop with 256k of ram. I've also built my desktop from scratch with a 6 core 3.3ghz cpu using kubuntu with all the bells and whistles.

nec207
December 31st, 2011, 07:05 AM

I would not buy any computer out there :(they are all junk and will not last 5 years.I have had nothing but computer problems and people I know having many problems with the video card , motherboard ,fan ,power supply going bad and not lasting 5 years.

Built your own computer it will last longer and you get more for your money .If you must buy a computer get HP or Dell they are for high budget people and last bit longer.

Acer and gateway are junk so stay away from them.

Has for Mac computers the build quality is better than most PC but apple is fast at testing so in past 5 years there has been problems with many of the product lines.

1.too much thermal paste
2.tint in some of the iMacs
3.Macbook pro getting hot
4.older white Macbook flaky and peeling the case
5.newer white Macbook scraching easy

Is some of problems.

So it does seem that apple build quality is going down.

If you want a computer to last 10 years or more build your own .

Been doing it since 1993 on desktop units. Never had problems with the hardware used in my experience except when using Windows and changing from Win98 to Millennium. XP was a flawless upgrade. Ubuntu has been so much better at the hardware changes for me.

The OS has noting to do with hardware going bad .Most likely it is do to voltage surge or spikes over years , over use or problem with transistor or blowen capacitor.

Stay away from windows 95/98/Me nothing but problems.When XP is not bad if it update on all the patches and fixes and running SP3 .

But windows Vista and windows 7 shine I have used both over a year and no lock ups ,crash or BSOD just has stable has OS X or more .

But IE 8 does crash time to time but never crash the OS like windows 9.x would do.

SLEEPER_V
December 31st, 2011, 07:14 AM
I would not buy any computer out there :(they are all junk and will not last 5 years.I have had nothing but computer problems and people I know having many problems with the video card , motherboard ,fan ,power supply going bad and not lasting 5 years.

Built your own computer it will last longer and you get more for your money .If you must buy a computer get HP or Dell they are for high budget people and last bit longer.

Has for Mac computers the build quality is better than most PC but apple is fast at testing so in past 5 years there has been problems with many of the product lines.

1.too much thermal paste

Is some of problems.

The OS has noting to do with hardware going bad .Most likely it is do to voltage surge or spikes over years , over use or problem with transistor or blowen capacitor.

Stay away from windows 95/98/Me nothing but problems.When XP is not bad if it update on all the patches and fixes and running SP3 .

But windows Vista and windows 7 shine I have used both over a year and no lock ups ,crash or BSOD just has stable has OS X or more .

But IE 8 does crash time to time but never crash the OS like windows 9.x would do.
I agree with your statement about building your own being the better course of action, but Dell is not some high priced pc, especially if you shop the dell outlet for refurbs, scratch and dent, customer returns etc.

In fact i got the laptop i'm on right now for under 500usd from Dell Outlet. Its a Dell Studio 1737 with an intel pentium dual core 2.15ghz cpu and 4gb of ram. 17 inch monitor with fingerprint scanner and all the bells and whistles

nec207
December 31st, 2011, 07:19 AM
I agree with your statement about building your own being the better course of action, but Dell is not some high priced pc, especially if you shop the dell outlet for refurbs, scratch and dent, customer returns etc.

In fact i got the laptop i'm on right now for under 500usd. Its a Dell Studio 1737 with an intel pentium dual core 2.15ghz cpu and 4gb of ram. 17 inch monitor with fingerprint scanner and all the bells and whistles

The XPS are if you into multimedia and need powerful desktop.
http://www.dell.com/ca/p/desktops?fc=studio-xps-desktop-pcs#ViewByTabs

SLEEPER_V
December 31st, 2011, 07:27 AM
The XPS are if you into multimedia and need powerful desktop.
http://www.dell.com/ca/p/desktops?fc=studio-xps-desktop-pcs#ViewByTabs

indeed the xps series can be expensive, but the outlet is cheaper:

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/Online/SecondaryInventorySearch.aspx?rn=9438&c=us&l=en&s=dfh&cs=22&PLikeId=1_1140017_1_494003_1_874007_1_209350_1_870 013_1_454978_1_979009_&Flag=1

73ckn797
December 31st, 2011, 01:56 PM
I know that. When the OS will no longer support some hardware, hardware can become a problem. Hasn't been a major issue in my experience.

vpharry
December 31st, 2011, 08:20 PM
I build my own..... The company manufactured are not at all manufactured by them... For eg; apple actually buys chinese products and rebrands them... with a customised pc you can get the exact components you want

Old_Grey_Wolf
December 31st, 2011, 10:39 PM

There are people that give their old computers to me after something breaks. What typically happens is that I take the best parts out of 4 or 5 computers and build 3 working computers. I discard the rest of the components at electronic recyclers. Then, I give the computers away to friends and family that can't afford them otherwise. They aren't top of the line computers; however, they typically have a dual core processor, 1 GB RAM or better, CD/DVD drive, wireless, and a 200 GB HDD or larger. Occasionally they still have the Microsoft Windows CDs/DVD; so, I set those up to dual boot.

It only costs me my time to rebuild them. I also find it is fun to do, and rewarding to help others.

It really isn't that different from building your own custom computer.

Matrix01
December 31st, 2011, 10:43 PM
i have two old desktop;
Mac with zip drive, and old compaq, and do not even know which parts are good.
i do not have their AC adapter and a monitor....
will u tell me how to learn taking apart and building?

There are people that give their old computers to me after something breaks. What typically happens is that I take the best parts out of 4 or 5 computers and build 3 working computers. I discard the rest of the components at electronic recyclers. Then, I give the computers away to friends and family that can't afford them otherwise. They aren't top of the line computers; however, they typically have a dual core processor, 1 GB RAM or better, CD/DVD drive, wireless, and a 200 GB HDD or larger. Occasionally they still have the Microsoft Windows CDs/DVD; so, I set those up to dual boot.

It only costs me my time to rebuild them. I also find it is fun to do, and rewarding to help others.

Old_Grey_Wolf
December 31st, 2011, 11:02 PM
i have two old desktop;
Mac with zip drive, and old compaq, and do not even know which parts are good.
i do not have their AC adapter and a monitor....
will u tell me how to learn taking apart and building?

I wish I could; however, rebuilding computers and determining what parts are good is not something that is easily taught on an Internet forum. What you encounter is unique in each situation; therefore, you have to learn as you progress. Sometimes you have to rely on your own knowledge, and sometimes what you can learn from search engines; such as, Google.

73ckn797
January 1st, 2012, 01:16 AM

I have done this many times.

gchild00
January 1st, 2012, 01:32 AM

1.too much thermal paste

Is some of problems.

Great post, I would say that building gets you better bang for your bucks. Windows 7 has been working flawlessly for me but I was able to bring back to life a very old hp laptop using ubuntu. If I do have opt to buy a desktop or laptop, I've always went with HP.

TeamRocket1233c
January 1st, 2012, 03:06 AM
I wanna try to whenever possible, and I pieced together some PC's out of some spare parts at vo-tech.

Bucky Ball
January 1st, 2012, 03:20 AM
If you are building a computer buy a quality power supply!!! I can't stress this enough. Avoid the 'silver box' power supplies. It is worth spending the money on quality PSU as if the PSU goes it will/can take out all the other components in a single blast (not to mention burst into flames as a friend's did).

The link below is is a bit dated but may give you some ideas. It doesn't go into the nuts and bolts of putting it all together but that is straightforward if you take your time, use common sense, and read the literature that comes with the components thoroughly before commencing the build. Make a plan ...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1179877

The principles remain the same ... ;)

Matrix01
January 3rd, 2012, 05:26 PM
I have HP Mini netbook.

In fact i got the laptop i'm on right now for under 500usd from Dell Outlet. Its a Dell Studio 1737 with an intel pentium dual core 2.15ghz cpu and 4gb of ram. 17 inch monitor with fingerprint scanner and all the bells and whistles

WasMeHere
January 17th, 2012, 01:01 PM

Your post made me happy. I wish that you can continue helping people that way, and I'll try to do something similar myself :-)

Bucky Ball
January 17th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Your post made me happy. I wish that you can continue helping people that way, and I'll try to do something similar myself :-)

+1. And for what most people do those specs are fine. ;)