PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] new distros booting to busybox (intiramfs)

jcroyle
December 31st, 2011, 02:23 AM
hello everyone i have seen several post about similar problems but they don't seem to fix installation problem. whenever i try to install ubuntu 11.10 / mint12 / or any of the new releases they start to install then drop out to busybox with an initramfs prompt. I have seen a few post about changing bios setting but none seem to work. if i try to install anything 10.04 or older they seems to install just fine. one person suggested that i try the newer releases with the old kernel but not exact sure how to do that. any help would be greatly appreciated.

p.s iam installing from a live usb and i have tried redownloading them several times same problem.

2F4U
December 31st, 2011, 09:26 AM
I assume that you verified the checksum of the downloaded iso files. Since you have this problem not only with Ubuntu, you should post your hardware specification. It may also be worth trying 10.04 and see if it installs. Since that is a LTS release, it will be supported until 2013.

wandalalakers
January 1st, 2012, 02:58 AM
Try downloading and installing the alternative version of 11.10.
http://mirror.ox.ac.uk/sites/releases.ubuntu.com/releases/11.10/ubuntu-11.10-alternate-i386.iso

I have a 2nd older pc that would give the busybox error when installing a particular version of a ubuntu live cd version but the alternative version worked fine.

jcroyle
January 1st, 2012, 06:13 AM
yes i checked the md5 on the downloads and yes the 10.04 does install just fine i tried downloads a few other distros today to see what would happen and will let you know. how it goes. thanks