PDA

View Full Version : Do you report spam?

thatguruguy
December 30th, 2011, 05:15 PM
... and if you do, what do you put in the text box in the "Report Post" page that comes up?

Sometimes I'll just write "Spam." Sometimes, I'm more creative. Among my favorites are:

Spamtacular
Spamasaurus Rex
Spam, spam, eggs, and spam.
Spamalamadingdong.

Do you do your part in keeping this forum clean?

3Miro
December 30th, 2011, 05:38 PM
I just write "Spam" or explain why I think it is "Spam".

BC59
December 30th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Maybe we could paste the Spam-Spam-Spam song of Monty Pythons:D

nothingspecial
December 30th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Nope, I just remove it. :)

whatthefunk
December 30th, 2011, 05:57 PM
I usually type spam. Its four letters. Im not going to write anymore for spam... maybe Ill start just typing s for spam. Thats one letter...three letters less that I have to give to spam.

Paddy Landau
December 30th, 2011, 06:20 PM
I do report it, but I don't try to be clever -- the mods have enough work to do. I keep the message simple and easy to read.

PaulW2U
December 30th, 2011, 06:25 PM
... and if you do, what do you put in the text box in the "Report Post" page that comes up?

I just type "Spam".

If it's been posted by a user that has just registered I check their posting history. Usually I find that all posts are spam so I add "New user, all posts spam". :(

I wait for around five minutes and check again. I usually find that the user and their posts have been deleted or at least moved to a part of the forum that us mere mortals can't access. :D

Good work by the forum moderators!

Paqman
December 30th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Sometimes I'll just write "Spam." Sometimes, I'm more creative. Among my favorites are:

Spamtacular
Spamasaurus Rex
Spam, spam, eggs, and spam.
Spamalamadingdong.

I think you and I share a brain on this one. Might as well make the dull job of cleaning out spam that little bit less dull for whoever has to do it.

You've got to be quick to catch the spam on this forum though, it gets bodyslammed promptly.

oldos2er
December 30th, 2011, 07:21 PM
howefield is the spam-catchin' guru.

BlinkinCat
December 31st, 2011, 02:03 AM
I just write spam - I wonder sometimes what keeps these spammers ticking - :)

fdrake
December 31st, 2011, 02:14 AM
Yes I do, I just write "S.P.A.M.!!!!!!"
question to the mods: when users sign-up do they have to answer a captcha question? cannot remember it's been a while since I sign-uped in here!

CompyTheInsane
December 31st, 2011, 02:21 AM
I usually just type "spam".
However, in cases where I suspect it's spam, but have trouble confirming it, I add a question mark.

drs305
December 31st, 2011, 02:23 AM
"Spam" is really about all we mods need to know. We are most likely going to check out the thread ourselves - spam usually lasts less than a few minutes once it's reported so please continue letting us know about it.

Of course, SPAM coming out of a can generally lasts a lot longer...

PapaGary
December 31st, 2011, 02:25 AM
... And if you do, what do you put in the text box in the "report post" page that comes up?

Sometimes i'll just write "spam." sometimes, i'm more creative. Among my favorites are:

spamtacular
spamasaurus rex
spam, spam, eggs, and spam.
spamalamadingdong.

do you do your part in keeping this forum clean?
spam

inobe
December 31st, 2011, 02:26 AM
:?:i just input "spam"

sometimes spam can be really convincing and look like a legitimate post, i use "possible spam?"

it's really nice to see the broken links, cool feature :clap:

edit: how'd that happen :?:

ratcheer
December 31st, 2011, 02:39 AM
No, I don't report spam. It is like spitting into the ocean.

Tim

fdrake
December 31st, 2011, 02:43 AM
No, I don't report spam. It is like spitting into the ocean.

Tim
yes, but if we allow every living thing to spit into the ocean that would be kinda of gross... don't make me think about that!!! :D

sisco311
December 31st, 2011, 02:48 AM
question to the mods: when users sign-up do they have to answer a captcha question? cannot remember it's been a while since I sign-uped in here!

Yes.

edit: how'd that happen :?:

What? :)

LOL, same here.

sammiev
December 31st, 2011, 02:59 AM
spam

vasa1
December 31st, 2011, 03:01 AM
ad

Shorter than spam.

IWantFroyo
December 31st, 2011, 03:01 AM
"spam"

Doesn't deserve as much as capitalization from me.

inobe
December 31st, 2011, 03:20 AM
What? :)

double post:D

lisati
December 31st, 2011, 03:29 AM
For the forum spam, I have a tame blackhole that I use for a filing cabinet. For email spam, there's places like Spamcop (http://spamcop.net).

vpharry
December 31st, 2011, 08:24 PM
Haha :D:lolflag:

Telengard C64
December 31st, 2011, 08:53 PM
ad

Spam is not legitimate advertising. Legitimate advertisers pay $$$ for the resources used. Spammers are taking valuable resources from our community, in violation of the community's standards, and giving nothing in return. Without any regard for our community's well being they steal:

bandwidth from Ubuntuforums' network
disk space and processing power from Ubuntuforums' servers
time and attention from users reporting spam, which would better be spent participating in community activities, answering help requests, and researching new solutions to shared problems
time and attention from moderators deleting spam and banning spammers, which would better be spent participating in community activities, answering help requests, and researching new solutions to shared problems
time and money from anyone who actually follows spam links, as the products or services offered are almost always fraudulent in some way

I report spam, usually with the word "spam". If the spam has been carefully crafted to look like a legitimate post, perhaps with links sprinkled throughout the post, then I usually explain why I think so. If I am unsure then I usually write something like, "Looks spammy to me."

inobe
December 31st, 2011, 09:05 PM
i love the setup, all of their links are dead in the water, no profile junk either, not sure when they starting doing it, but it's long overdue :)

yugnip
December 31st, 2011, 09:16 PM
The mods do a nice enough job around here that I have yet to see any spam (lucky me). But if I do, I would certainly report it simply as 'spam'.

Old_Grey_Wolf
December 31st, 2011, 09:19 PM
I report spam or what I am almost sure is spam. I usually put "Is this SPAM?" or something similar in the report. Then I leave it up to the moderators to decide. I can't recall an instance were I was wrong. :)

MG&TL
December 31st, 2011, 09:21 PM
I usually describe the content of the spam to help the mods decide where it came from.

I.e "redirected news", "advert", "links to another site"

Maybe 1/10th of the time they can block all sources of spam from that source. IDK.

sammiev
December 31st, 2011, 09:41 PM
The mods do a nice enough job around here that I have yet to see any spam (lucky me). But if I do, I would certainly report it simply as 'spam'.

That's why. Because it's reported to them as well. :popcorn: