PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation help

Roisin1
December 29th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Hey, I'm new to this so sorry if Iv'e posted in the wrong place! I'm having so much trouble installing ubuntu 11.10! I've downloaded it and tried putting it on a cd and a usb to boot it but it won't work! When I click on the desktop icon and it won't open, but a window comes up saying `windows is unable to open this programme, then it asks me to choose a programme to run it with. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong! My laptop is a dell latitude D600.
Thanks in advance!

awam66
December 29th, 2011, 04:50 PM
It looks as if you are not booting from the CD. Make sure it is in the CD tray before you switch on. If it still boots to ******* then you need to set your BIOS to boot from the CD first. To get into BIOS it usually tells you what key to press on the splash screen when you first switch on. Try F2 or F10.

Quackers
December 29th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Welcome to UF :-)
You are aware that you need to boot from the cd/usb I presume?
You need to shutdown with the cd in the drive or the usb drive in the slot. Then on startup (after selecting the proper boot device in your bios) the system should boot from the selected media. You can then try Ubuntu first rather than installing it straight away.

Roisin1
December 29th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Yeah, the cd is in! When I restart it gives me a OS choice and when I choose ubuntu, this message comes up Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt.<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the file above.

Do you think I have to download it again?

Quackers
December 29th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Is this a wubi installation (inside Windows)?

Roisin1
December 29th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Is this a wubi installation (inside Windows)?

Iv'e tried downloading that a while ago and it wouldn't work for me either :S
I've Tried the CD in my other laptop and it works!

Quackers
December 29th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Ok. The file you downloaded needs to be burned as an image to a cd. There are free programs like Imgburn which will do this for you. Windows will not open the file but Imgburn will.
Or have you done this already?
What I don't understand is the choice of OS you are seeing. Does this screen mention grub at the top of it?